View Full Version : nPOP 0.98 released

marlof
05-24-2002, 03:03 PM
<a href="http://www.nakka.com/soft/npop/index_eng.html">http://www.nakka.com/soft/npop/index_eng.html</a><br /><br />One of my favorite third party applications is nPOP. What are the best things I like about it you ask? I'll give you my number one, two, and three reasons. One: it's freeware. Two: it has a truly usable SMTP-AUTH, as you can set username and password per account, meaning you can use one SMTP authorized account with multiple POP3 accounts. Three: it enables one press (or even automated) round reception of all your POP3 account at the same time. I like it so much, that during Möbius 2002 Ed forbae me to speak about it, as he went bananas with my incessant chatter about it! So there you go: a new version of nPOP has been released! Go grab it!

jwf
05-24-2002, 04:53 PM
Upgraded mine yesterday ;-) Any idea what the new features are? I couldn't see any description on the website.

John

muaddip
05-24-2002, 05:40 PM
Here are the changes for the new version, they were on the Japanese page. Nothing major just some bug fixes it looks like. This is excellent software and has all but replaced my normal Inbox.

* Modification past record

Ver 0.9.7 -> Ver 0.9.8

- When plural it starts with the command line attachment, it tried to process only first one.
- When having made the setting which requires the password in window indication, it tried to require the password even with compilation of message.
- It tried to be able to set the certification system of SMTP certification, (the SmtpAuthType)
- The fact that it designates the rubbish mail as when the mailbox is the sky was corrected.

dammad
05-24-2002, 11:30 PM
Hi Marlof,

I'm a little dense - have nPOP loaded on my iPAQ. What settings do I need to put in to access Hotmail? :?

Looks like a great little program & I want to figure out how to get the most out of it.

Thanks,
Dammad

timmy
05-25-2002, 11:34 AM
Hi Marlof,

I have two email adresses, and I have both of them covered in the "Inbox" as two accounts. I then use dial up through my mobile phone and retrieve the messages.

What woul be the benefit with nPop ? I don't see that, but perhaps I am not seeing the obvious?

regs Timmy :?:

jwf
05-25-2002, 01:21 PM
nPop can check multiple email accounts with one button press. It also does authenticated SMTP which is useful to some people. It also downloads attachments - something which the built-in Inbox doesn't do as far as I'm aware.

nPop is a little bit quirky due to the lack of an English manual. I'm not sure what some of the options do, but I find it much more useful than the built-in app.

John

timmy
05-26-2002, 09:55 AM
Ok,

Thanks jwf!

Now I get it.

/Timmy

marlof
05-26-2002, 10:00 AM
As jwf pointed out: other than the regular inbox nPOP can get multiple accounts ( I have four ) with one press of the button, and you don't have to select each account seperately to select it's mail.

And as I have one SMTP server I use for sending all the messages from all four POP3 accounts (and yes, I actually need four, sigh!), I am very happy that I can set password and username per SMTP server, and do not just have the ability (like in the regular inbox) to select the username and password for the POP3 server the SMTP server goes with. I have the feeling Inbox is not targeted at people with multiple POP3 accounts at all...

As for Hotmail retreival: nPOP is purely a POP3 client. That means it can not connect to IMAP or webbased mail services. As Hotmail is only webbased, and doesn't offer a POP3 server to log on to, you can't use nPOP with Hotmail.

heyday
06-28-2002, 09:27 PM
I'm trying out nPop Pocket PC
2002 version and I know I have everything setup correct but I get this error message when I try to check email.

"Failed in the IP address acquisition"

Any ideas? All my other email and internet programs work and I am connected.

any ideas?

heyday