View Full Version : 128 meg MultiMediaCard for $110

Jason Dunn
05-23-2002, 03:46 PM
<a href="http://www.innogear.com/mmc.html#">http://www.innogear.com/mmc.html#</a><br /><br />Looking for a good deal on MultiMediaCard memory? Innogear is selling their 128 meg card for $110 - not a bad deal! Thanks to Grieg Winter for sending this in.<br /><br />"MultiMediaCard - 128Mb, weighs less than two grams and, about the size of a postage stamp, are the world’s smallest (24mm x 32mm x 1.4 mm) removable solid-state memory."

bchristian
05-23-2002, 05:20 PM
I bought a Toshiba 128MB SD card at NewEgg.com for $94 including freight a couple of weeks ago. The SD card should be even faster. :D

Barak
05-23-2002, 05:32 PM
Which is considered better? MMC or SD???

angellic71
05-23-2002, 06:11 PM
Buy.com has a 128 MB SD Card (Sandisk Brand) for $94.95. Item # sm171

Add something small to go over $100 and use a coupon (go to techbargains.com for link to coupon) Coupons: $10 off 100 or $15 off $150. (new customers only).

Update! I just checked the website...and if you are willing to wait for backorder to come in........the price is $76.72!

thadrool
05-23-2002, 06:28 PM
You can get a 128 SD for less than any of these prices on ebay.

handheldplanet
05-23-2002, 09:10 PM
You can find them for $68 shipped here: http://www.caltron.citymax.com/page/page/75105.htm

If you had gone to http://www.pocketpc1.com you could have seen this a few days ago :-)

[/url]

Sven Johannsen
05-23-2002, 09:48 PM
There are devices that have an MMC slot, not an SD slot. Notably the Jornadas (w/battery or PC Card Adapter). While folks have reported good success with using SD cards in what HP advertises as an MMC slot, you can't go to HP and complain your SD card doesn't work. An MMC card at 128M is a new thing. That is likely why the price is higher. Check back in forums a few weeks ago when folks were looking for 128M MMC cards. They weren't available. At this point I see prices like $41 for 64M SD cards and $45 for 64M MMC cards, both of which have been available for a while. I think the price for the 128M MMC will come down as production picks up and 256M SD cards become available. I for one am happy to see the 128s out. It means I can shortly bump my Jornada back up in RAM while staying within the defined HP parameters, i.e. MMC.

st63z
05-24-2002, 04:30 AM
I was just looking over the card prices yesterday as I need to RUSH buy SD cards and camera/camcorder for my trip this Saturday.

I did see the Buy.com $76 SanDisk 128MB SD card. Of course, it's out of stock. As long as you're willing to wait, why not just choose the SanDisk 128MB SD card + USB SD reader combo kit for the *same* price (which is also out of stock) :) I didn't look closely, but I think that reader device thingie is something fancy (it looked like it had a sliding switch, I'm not sure for what though?).

Buy.com also has the 256MB SD card + reader combo kit for around $162 if I remember correctly (available for preorder). I also saw the Panasonic 256MB SD card for preorder on another shopping site for like ~$240. The Panasonic 512MB was like ~$440, IIRC.

Anyways, I can't believe this, I used to be the most anal product researcher and comparison price shopper, but I'm just in such a rush because I really need to shoot video/pics that I ordered for next day shipping the Minolta Dimage X (my old S110 had crapped out), that Panasonic SV-AV10 QVGA camcorder/digicam/MP3-player/voice-recorder SD toy, the Canon Elura 40MC *AND* the JVC GR-DVP7U pocket miniDV/SD palmcorder/digicams (I was also considering the Panasonic PV-DC series). I'll get reimbursed for the stuff we keep and I guess I'll try to sort out the return hassles for the rest after I get back :(

No matter how desperate I get though, I try to stay away from Sony and their use of MemoryStick/MagicGate and MicroMV (and Hi8/Digital8).

Timothy Rapson
05-24-2002, 12:36 PM
that Panasonic SV-AV10 QVGA camcorder/digicam/MP3-player/voice-recorder SD toy, the Canon Elura 40MC *AND* the JVC GR-DVP7U pocket miniDV/SD palmcorder/digicams (I was also considering the Panasonic PV-DC series). .

Wow, a SV-AV10 camcorder deal. Why do you add the QVGA? Is that the screen size? How do you like it. I have read that the pictures are crappy for 1 megapixel and battery life in the celler. I am still interested in one. Mini-review? Can you pop the card right into your PDA and play the videos and see pictures there?

st63z
05-24-2002, 05:03 PM
Argh, I just tracked the shipment, looks like they JUST shipped that one and it won't arrive by tomorrow, grrr :(

Anyways, as far as I know (correct me if I'm wrong) it's not 1MP, it shoots choppy MPEG-4 at up to 320x240 (supposedly 15fps at that res). It also takes pictures only up to 320x240 (I wish it was at least XGA 1024x768 but that would require something like ~700Kpixel CMOS/CCD sensor). Obviously no zoom of any kind either.

So, I consider it more of a toy or experimental first-gen device for capturing stuff for casual emailing or web sites and such stuff... You can't really fault its limitation given the size and low price, tho.

And just curious, anyone have any recommendations between the Canon and JVC miniDV/SD palmcorders I mentioned? I think they're among the smallest units available with enough features for the casual home user.

tthiel
05-25-2002, 10:25 AM
That is not really a good price. ecost has them for $88. Boy Sony better hurry up with that 256 MB memory stick. They are very late considering how long memory sticks have been out. Now they're getting beat by SD!

http://www.innogear.com/mmc.html#

Looking for a good deal on MultiMediaCard memory? Innogear is selling their 128 meg card for $110 - not a bad deal! Thanks to Grieg Winter for sending this in.

"MultiMediaCard - 128Mb, weighs less than two grams and, about the size of a postage stamp, are the world’s smallest (24mm x 32mm x 1.4 mm) removable solid-state memory."

st63z
05-31-2002, 11:56 AM
In the interest of accuracy, the Panasonic SV-AV10 in fact takes still pictures at VGA (640x480), not the QVGA that I had said. It even has a flash for shooting stills in low light, which the JVC/Canon camcorders I mentioned lack (but the camcorders do have low-light compensation mode for shooting video, though they don't work as well as the Sony's).

But depending on your expectations of the SV-AV10, many things don't work very well. Everything seems slightly awash in beige/sepia tone. Video looks darker than it should be (and the 15fps QVGA MPEG-4 .ASF recording tends to blur at the slightest motion). Still pics are either a bit dark, or sometimes way overexposed from the flash (and not as sharp/focused as the still pics from the camcorders, which themselves are worse than those from normal digicams).

The audio level in the MPEG-4 .ASF recordings is quite low when played back with WMP on the computers I've tried (you have to pump up the volume to hear), but they sound plenty loud when played directly from the SV-AV10 on a pair of earphones (necessary since it doesn't include a built-in speaker).

Regardless, the video and stills are good enough (and sized just right) for quick emails. And since I'm a novice, there's still this feeling of novelty that hasn't worn off whenever I consider the recordings from such a small, small (small) device.