View Full Version : NexiPack Dual CF or Compaq Dual PC Card?

ricksfiona
05-21-2002, 08:33 AM
I'm trying to decide whether which of my options would be better. Hopefully someone here can give me some more insight....

My 3870 needs memory. I won't be going with the SD cards since they just don't have enough for my needs. 256MB is not going to cut it when they do come out. So I need a CF or PC Card memory.

I can get the Compaq Dual PC Card cradle for about $10 more than the NexiPak, so I'm really tempted to get it. But last I saw, it's considerably bigger/heavier. Would I be right to assume this? Is the Dual PC Card much bigger than the NexiPak Dual CF?

I think the IBM 1GB Microdrive CF card would work 'okay' for me for now. But it would be awesome to have the option of going with a 2GB or 5GB PC Card if I ever wanted. And the PC Cards are relatively inexpensive. And I ned dual slots, 1/memory, 1/connectivity.

I would just hate to sacrifice portability for expandibility. I carry my IPAQ with me quite a bit since it's so small and light. I REALLY wish Compaq would've used a CF slot instead of the SD junk.

So, what can you folks tell me here? Your input is really valued!

Jason Dunn
05-21-2002, 04:11 PM
This is why I like the Jornada so much. :-)

Since you're looking for CF card use, my recommendation is to order a Silver Slider from www.pdamotion.com - I think they're finally caught up on back orders, although you may want to email them to make sure. It's the thinnest CF card jacket I've seen and won't add much bulk to your iPAQ.

ricksfiona
05-21-2002, 05:29 PM
Well, the SilverSlider is nice, but only one CF slot. I need two of either CF or PC Card.

ricksfiona
05-22-2002, 09:49 PM
I did some research and found my main concern about the two devices, thickness. The NexiPak is 1.6" and the Compaq PC Pack is 1.74", about 1/8" difference in thickness. Not much at all.

I haven't been able to get a weight difference, but I figure it can't be that much if the size of the two devices are not much. I know that the Compaq PC Pack is 7 ounces and together with the IPAQ 3870, is 2 ounces under a pound. Figure with 2 PC Cards, you're probably looking at around 1.2 to 1.3 pounds. Stilll, very reasonable (though I carry a Compaq keyboard and sync cable in my briefcase, we're talking about 2 pounds total).

Well, it looks like I'll be getting the Compaq Dual PC Card case. With only 1/8" size difference and 2 - 3 ounces in weight and the expansion possibilites make it very worthwhile.

Janak Parekh
05-27-2002, 04:56 AM
Well, it looks like I'll be getting the Compaq Dual PC Card case. With only 1/8" size difference and 2 - 3 ounces in weight and the expansion possibilites make it very worthwhile.
Wow, I didn't know the dual CF sleeve was that thick. In that case, the Dual PC sleeve is definitely the best option - unbeatable expandability - so long as you don't want to carry it in your pocket :D

I also believe the Dual PC sleeve has more battery life...

--bdj