View Full Version : who knows about activesync and multiple CE devices ?

sb75
05-16-2002, 11:14 PM
I have got a microsoft access database on a PC windows 98, and the same access database on some pocketPc .
I'd like each pocketpc's user could update his database and synchronize it with the PC database(via activesync 3.1).
But I have a problem : Activesync has synchronized only one pocketPc, but not the others .
Is it normal ? Is Activesync able to synchronise one PC database with more than one pocket Pc ?
Have I to do something particular ?

Thanks

JonnoB
05-17-2002, 12:22 AM
You will want to do something else other than file sync through ActiveSync. First of all, ActiveSync only supports two partnerships, so if you have more than two PPCs, you will be out of luck.

sb75
05-17-2002, 02:38 PM
thank you for your relpy, it's my lucky day !

Do you know another solution to synchronize database on CE devices with database on PC ?

JonnoB
05-18-2002, 12:26 AM
thank you for your relpy, it's my lucky day !

Not because of me....

Do you know another solution to synchronize database on CE devices with database on PC ?

All I have seen on PPC is usually custom built apps.... but I think there are some commercial programs like HandeBase, but I have not used them.

Sven Johannsen
05-20-2002, 04:19 PM
Actually AS will sync, and partner, as many PDAs as you have. It is the Client on the PPC that is limited to two partnerships, e.g. a desktop and a laptop, or a work and a home PC. You can of course only have one PDA physically hooked up at a time.

I am a bit surprised that you cannot sync a single Desktop DB with multiple PPC instances. I would think that if you establish each link independantly that it should work. There are certainly a significant number of system tables created when you establish the link to imply a replica sort of relationship. I haven't tried this though.

An alternative that should work is to create desktop replicas (read up on this if you are not familiar with replicas), and sync each PPC with it's own replica on the desktop. You can set up some procedure to ensure the desktop replicas are maintained in sync.

Sven Johannsen
05-20-2002, 04:23 PM
OOH, just had a thought on your multiple PPC issue. Did you give all your PPCs distinct names? If you left the default Pocket_PC, then AS wouldn't know how to distinguish them, although it would realize they are different.

Nertz
05-21-2002, 03:30 PM
check out this link on Chris De Herrera's site, I think this might be what you are looking for....

http://www.cewindows.net/applications/undocumentedactivesync.htm

cheers,
Nat