View Full Version : New Compaq iPAQ 3830

Jason Dunn
05-16-2002, 10:26 PM
<a href="http://www.compaq.com/products/handhelds/pocketpc/index.html">http://www.compaq.com/products/handhelds/pocketpc/index.html</a><br /><br />Compaq has released a new iPAQ model, the 3830 - it's identical to the 3850 but has 32 megs of RAM instead of 64 megs, and is priced at an MSRP of $499 ($100 lower than the 3850). Source: <a href="http://www.pocketpc-club.nl/nieuws.php?action=1&id=396">Dutch Pocket PC Club</a>

alex_kac
05-17-2002, 01:52 AM
Wouldn't it be more correct to say that HP released a new iPaq? :)

Jason Dunn
05-17-2002, 02:31 AM
Wouldn't it be more correct to say that HP released a new iPaq? :)

Doh! There's going to be a lot of that happening until they merge their web sites and change their branding... :lol:

Mr. Anonymous
05-17-2002, 03:46 AM
I guess this kinda makes sense since they've discontinued the 3700 series, but it still strikes me as kinda strange. At that price range, I wouldn't a $100 difference would attract a significant amount of new buyers over the current 3800s. Then again, I wonder about anybody buying a Pocket PC right now with Xscale looming on the horizon.

Will T Smith
05-17-2002, 04:22 AM
Why chase lower price points and lower margins. iPaq doesn't fit in that market segment. 64MB is the bar for an effective organizer under 2k2. Either improve it, or don't touch it.

A much better release would be a 128MB version and a price cut on the 64MB version. The success of PocketPCTechs.com is testament to consumers desire for a handheld with LOTS of integrated memory.

If Compaq truly wanted a bargain box, they should have kept the 37xx around.

MacBirdie
05-17-2002, 03:08 PM
Then again, I wonder about anybody buying a Pocket PC right now with Xscale looming on the horizon.

That's the main problem of PocketPCs and their market share. Not everybody who is not on top with all news realizes that there are some new models coming and some manufacturer already announces newer models with a new, faster processor/new system/cooler form factor. PocketPC will never gain such sales record as Palm's models if new generations appear every few months (second gen - PocketPC 2002, third - slim, light, a'la Vx ones, fourth - XScale) which is good for overall technology advances but not for people, who can't afford these ultrasexycool advanced , 699$-XScale-Bluetooth-Palm Vx size babies. The new Packard-Bell, ipaq 3830 and Toshiba e310 are a very good step in trying to take away some significant market share from Palm and their licensees and making the PocketPC platform more common.

[Cruzer]
05-17-2002, 05:24 PM
Why chase lower price points and lower margins. iPaq doesn't fit in that market segment. 64MB is the bar for an effective organizer under 2k2. Either improve it, or don't touch it.

A much better release would be a 128MB version and a price cut on the 64MB version. The success of PocketPCTechs.com is testament to consumers desire for a handheld with LOTS of integrated memory.

If Compaq truly wanted a bargain box, they should have kept the 37xx around.

I agree with Will on this one. I think people would rather buy a discounted 38XX or 37XX and then all the people who want the latest and greatest will buy the 128mb version.. (and we know they are out there)

Just my thoughts.

RC