View Full Version : Im new to the world of Pocket Pc's......need some advice

zlomas
05-11-2002, 10:57 PM
Hi I recently decided that I would purchase a Pocket PC after some friends turned me onto them and I was wondering which one would be best for me. I decided id rather have the pocket pc bcoz i am windows friendly.......my budget is around 600 CDN which is about 400 US dollars. I would like a pockket pc that would suite my needs which are, mp3's, games, ability to record messages and that are easy to write notes on. Ive dont a little research over the web and so far im kinda looking at the maestro which is cnet's top pick. I havent really heard a lot from people who use these and id like to hear peoples opinions on the pros and cons of some of the pocket pc's on the market. Thanks in advance for the help.

zlomas
05-11-2002, 11:00 PM
O id also like to know of any good websites where I could find some deals on watever pocket pc u would advise and wat price range I should look for. Thanx.

crashdau
05-14-2002, 02:01 AM
Well...I use the IPAQ, but, I've seen a lot of discussions at Brighthand, besides Jason's most excellent board, that contain some end user discussions on the Maestro. You should check there also.

rbj
05-15-2002, 02:31 PM
I bought a Maestro at CompUSA about 2 months ago for 299 including a 32MB CF card. I have been very happy with it. Over the last 3-4 years I have had a Philips Nino and Everex Freestyle. I chose the Maestro because of the price, small size and expansion slots. iPaqs are more popular but more expensive and larger if you want a CF card. For MP3's you will want to add a memory card. I suggest 128MB or more. CF is cheaper than SD but SD is nice because it leaves your CF slot available to other things (network card, modem). I have never been impressed with the voice recording abilities on the devices I have owned (except my micro tape recorder). The Maestro is better than my old Nino and Everex. I don't know if other current manufacturers are better in that area than Maestro or not.

ironguy
05-15-2002, 03:54 PM
I've owned two HP Jornadas and couldn't live without them. They are being discontinued, but it should shortly be an excellent time to pick one up very cheap. HP will support them for 3 years. By that time it will be time to get another.

I bought my 567 from Dell. They were running a 20% off peripherals and software deal. When it retailed for 549US, mine was 459 after tax and shipping. Keep an eye open at all the places. Visit some of the other discussion groups as they list deals (www.pocketpcpassion.com, www.brighthand.com, etc). You should be able to get one, or a 565 well within your budget.

JonnoB
05-15-2002, 11:06 PM
.......my budget is around 600 CDN which is about 400 US dollars. I would like a pockket pc that would suite my needs which are, mp3's, games, ability to record messages and that are easy to write notes on.

You want the new Toshiba at that budget I think. It seems to have the best bang for the buck at sub $400US. 64MB memory and is small.

Bond
05-29-2002, 05:12 AM
You want the new Toshiba at that budget I think. It seems to have the best bang for the buck at sub $400US. 64MB memory and is small.

I agree with your suggestion of the Toshiba e310, but it has only 32 MB.

JonnoB
05-29-2002, 10:20 AM
....but it has only 32 MB.

Yes, you are correct.... my bad.