View Full Version : CompUSA has iPAQ 3765 for $349

Ed Hansberry
05-10-2002, 09:28 PM
They are dropping them from their catalog and are clearing out remaining stock. Not too bad for a 64MB Pocket PC 2002 device. Your roving reporter from the floor of CompUSA in Franklin TN. :-)

seeker
05-10-2002, 11:33 PM
Does this mean that the unit has been orphaned by HP-Compaq and the retailer is just getting ahead of the power curve?
:cry:

Ed Hansberry
05-11-2002, 12:11 AM
It has been discontinued. HP earlier this week said the HP Jornada, iPAQ 3100, 3600 & 3700 were being dropped and the 3800 would carry on. I don't think this is a real surprise on the 3700. It is nearly a 2 year old device (May 2000 was the release) with nothing more than a ROM update to the new OS and a 32MB ROM and 64MB RAM. I don't expect too many PPC's to be on the market that long. :-)

Jason Dunn
05-11-2002, 12:14 AM
They are dropping them from their catalog and are clearing out remaining stock. Not too bad for a 64MB Pocket PC 2002 device. Your roving reporter from the floor of CompUSA in Franklin TN. :-)

Ed, sometimes you're just toooooooo cool! 8)

dreampages
05-11-2002, 12:39 AM
Compaq dropped the 3700 series from the partner ordering system in March so it was discontinued before the merger was finalized. I think it was Compaq's plan. Why bother making to shells? Easier to just make one.

Larry

Timothy Rapson
05-11-2002, 01:59 AM
I am surprised in one way, and not surprised in another.

I wondered why they kept what was essentially an old model without the 65k colors and without any slot. On the other hand they needed the capacity and if the old case and screen let them do that, then it only boosted sales to huge numbers.

I wonder if the $50 rebate is still available? And does that bring the final price down to $300? These 3765s were available at Best Buy last December (of 2001) for $350 after rebate, so the price range is not uncharted.

The big question for me is: What will the new low end 3835 sell for? The same $450 or less to compete with the Toshiba e310?

I think this is also clearly a way to open the top up for a new X-Scale model at the $550-$650 level.

Paragon
05-11-2002, 02:03 AM
Your roving reporter from the floor of CompUSA in Franklin TN. :-)

What's the mood like out there Ed? Is there mass confusion over what to buy now, with the merger. Are prices going to crash? Have there been any reports of people jumping from their windows.... Oh the humanity! :D

Dave

Ed Hansberry
05-11-2002, 06:33 PM
Your roving reporter from the floor of CompUSA in Franklin TN. :-)

What's the mood like out there Ed? Is there mass confusion over what to buy now, with the merger. Are prices going to crash? Have there been any reports of people jumping from their windows.... Oh the humanity!
There is definitely confusion. The CompUSA guy said the HP rep was in Friday and that the 570 would ship. That is 100% contrary to everything else we've seen, so I am still betting (not hoping, but betting) that it won't.

Think about it. Would you buy a 570 knowing that every single Jornada accessory was being discontinued?

Paragon
05-11-2002, 08:48 PM
Actually Ed I probably would 8O , since I already have all the accessories I need. I'm sure he is as well informed as most of those type :roll:

I haven't read one single thing that would make anyone believe that the 570 will ever ship. In fact the more I read the more it looks like most Xscale devices are going to ship late. The Loox has been pushed back to July from what I hear. I know Amazon is trolling for orders on the new Toshiba to ship in a couple of weeks. That would be very cool, but I will beleive it when I see it. For some reason I think they got their info from the guy at CompUSA :)

Keep up the good work Ed. You never know maybe one day you will anchor the 6:00 news.... And that's the way it is. I'm Ed Hansberry live in New York.... God help us :)

Dave

Marc Zimmermann
05-12-2002, 09:53 AM
I wondered why they kept what was essentially an old model without the 65k colors and without any slot.

Using the H3600 series iPAQ and just equipping it with the new ROM allowed Compaq to ship Pocket PC 2002 devices while still ramping up manufacturing for the H3800 series. If they hadn't introduced the H3700 series, they would have been late to the party again. Remember that HP and Casio were happily shipping their Jornada 540 series and Cassiopeia E-115 (basically the older E-105 Palm-size PC with the new Pocket PC 2000 software) while Compaq had nothing but pretty pictures of the upcoming iPAQ and ROM upgrades for the very dated Aero series.

brockgr
05-13-2002, 06:16 AM
:?: :roll: :?: I can only see $449 backordered. Where to you get your price?

http://www.compusa.com/products/product_info.asp?product_code=286447