View Full Version : Can your Pocket PC access a WLAN?

marlof
05-10-2002, 01:02 PM
Jason's post on the Toshiba e740 reminded me that I'd like to have WLAN access. But as my village still doesn't have broadband internet, I'm not so sure if I'd need 802.11b, or that plugging in a Bluetooth access point would be sufficient for me. Did you ever decide on adding wireless LAN access? What solution did you choose? This post contains a poll where you can cast your votes. I'd like to see how connected our readers are!

Arne Hess
05-10-2002, 02:52 PM
I'm using W-LAN at home (but never at offices due to security reasons it was forbidden there) and yes - for sure I'm using it together with my DSL line (through the Linksys EtherFast wireless Access Point + Cable/Dsl Router) to access the Internet through my PPC on the couch or in the bed.
But I'm using it also to get access to my MP3s (as I have my complete CD collection on my harddisk) so it's not a question of Internet only.
However, what I saw is that sometimes even the W-LAN access has drop outs due to limited bandwidth (e.g. if my girlfriend is surfing at the same time wireless with my Notebook) so I see limits for W-LAN Bluetooth streaming...
In any case - for TCP/IP stuff I would recommend Wi-Fi certified equipment before Bluetooth - even if I'm one of the biggest Bluetooth fans, but that's not wherefore Bluetooth was developed!

Don Sorcinelli
05-10-2002, 03:01 PM
I have DSL access at home. I use a DSL router, allowing the desktop, notebook and iPaq to access.

Our office have WLAN set up, but outside the firewall. With VPN, you can access corporate resources.

In both cases, I use WLAN on the PocketPC frequently, and with no significant problems.

ChrisD
05-10-2002, 03:24 PM
I have a cable modem and I use a Linksys WAP11 AP with multiple CF and PC Cards to access the internet. The cards include Cisco Aironet 340, Socket CF LAN, Ambicom PC Card, ZCom XI-800, Zcom XI-825. I also have a USB WiFi adapter as well.

pocketmon
05-10-2002, 03:38 PM
I got an SMC CF card and a linksys router at home. I got the SMC because its got a tiny antennae (like the symbol card) and it also has drivers to be used with a PCMCIA adapter so one card for two systems.

But after a few weeks i have returned the card. I'm in LA and all the places that I suspected may be wireless arent so teh only place i can use it is at home and to me thats not worth $100. I definitely liked the idea but its just a bit early for regular folk like me so i jumped off the bandwagon and will return when more places get connected and when prices go down.

Bob Anderson
05-10-2002, 03:40 PM
I have a cable modem and I'm using a 3Com WAP with a Netgear and 3Com PCMCIA access cards. The Netgear allows my iPaq to access the net (with the dual PCMCIA card expansion pack) and I use the 3Com with my Win XP notebook. Wireless is a *MUST* have and I wouldn't give it up now that I've had it :)

PDAlien
05-10-2002, 03:44 PM
I'm using a Linksys access point on my DSL line and a D-Link CF card for my iPAQ. I also have a D-Link PCMCIA for my laptop. WiFi is great. I'm no longer stuck in our computer room when I need to get online.

Steven Cedrone
05-10-2002, 04:10 PM
I have broadband access through my cable company. I'm using a D-Link 713P (acting as my WAP and router/firewall) with D-Link PCMCIA cards (in two desktop machines) and a Symbol Wireless Networker for my Jornada....

The only downside with my Pocket PC setup is that I usually sync my Mazingo to my CF card and that is not possible when I have the Wireless Networker installed....

Other than that, the setup works great!!!!

Retrocactus
05-10-2002, 05:06 PM
I use a Linksys CF Card with my iPAQ and a Snap-N-Type keyboard to access my lan and the net (via a SMC wireless router connected to my DSL connection) and love it.

Using Terminal Services or VNC I can do anything on my desktop from my couch and have full access to any file on any computer on my lan. And I can use instant messaging from anywhere in the house as I do like to get away from the computer occasionally :lol:

I only wish there were more public access points locally to take advantage of the wi-fi card on my iPAQ as it is a little expensive for couch potato luxury.

jpzr
05-10-2002, 05:08 PM
my village still doesn't have broadband internet, I'm not so sure if I'd need 802.11b, or that plugging in a Bluetooth access point would be sufficient for me. Did you ever decide on adding wireless LAN access? What solution did you choose?

Bluetooth LAN access points are several times more expensive than WLAN (802.11b) access points!

I have WLAN access point and WLAN PCMCIA card in my iPAQ - connected to my DSL line.

I suggest, since you have no broadband, to just use Bluetooth adapter/card in PC and Bluetooth adapter in PocketPC. WLAN is superfast - 15 times faster than Bluetooth - and is useful mainly when you have broadband or you have big house - WLAN has 15 times bigger range than Bluetooth...

But from usability point of view I am more sastisfied from WLAN..

Wojo
05-10-2002, 05:22 PM
But as my village still doesn't have broadband internet, I'm not so sure if I'd need 802.11b

I've run into this scenerio a couple times and found the Orinoco RG1000 to be a great alternative. As it has a built in 56k modem for internet access. So your AP is also your dial-up adapter. And when your ISP starts providing broadband you'll be ready. Also, Orinoco is one of the few companies that actually provide CE drivers for thier PCMCIA cards.

My current setup is an SMC AP connected to my Linksys Etherfast router. I'm currently switching between the Socket CF card and a D-Link PCMCIA card.

marlof
05-10-2002, 05:33 PM
Yeah, I was looking into the Orinoco/Avaya router/hub etc. Only downside is that I'm using an ISDN line to connect now (which has a bit better speed, but more important: a very short dial in routine!), so the 56k modem would be mainly sitting there doing nothing for me. They do write that they support ISDN over Ethernet, but the way they do it is not clear to me. I don't think that has more advantage to me than any other Wifi access point, but I'd be happy if anyone would proove me wrong. :)

dunneldeen
05-10-2002, 06:47 PM
I have a Symbol Type 1 WiFi CF card. I use it both at home and at work extensively. I have also used it in Airports, Coffee Shops and at various friends houses.

Inaki C
05-10-2002, 07:23 PM
Compaq/Orinoco Residential Gateway could be fine for you. It has a modem if you want to use it but it is not necessary if you dont want to.
Alternatively you can use a proxy desktop or setup a terminal server.
The modem integrated in RG1000 is very slow to start a connection and modem cannot be used at the same time LAN is used.

Bluetooth, I have used 3870 and IBM A30p to test it, is much more slow, difficult to set up and it hangs sometimes(3870 problem?). Also the range of reach decreases to zero in a few meters.

To synchronize both solutions are not well managed under Activesync/Pocket PC 2002. You can do it but Bluetooth is incredibly slow and WiFi must be activated by hand.

If you use a Orinoco residential gateway you cannot setup peer-to-peer connections at the same time with the same machine. As connection with Activesync is configured usually as ad-hoc connection, you cannot use the host PC to connect to your residential gateway at the same time.

Battery drops at a fast pace when you use a WiFi card while it seems to last more time when you use bluetooth only. Some cards allow to set power level to save battery.

jpzr
05-10-2002, 07:28 PM
Only downside is that I'm using an ISDN line to connect now

I had ISDN several years ago, I thought that this technique belongs already to museum! Man, we have now 21st century after all...

Marlof, it is hard to believe for me that there is no ADSL in your area! Are you sure?

Jason Dunn
05-10-2002, 07:47 PM
Marlof, it is hard to believe for me that there is no ADSL in your area! Are you sure?

Marlof lives in a VILLAGE, not a CITY, so I find it quite easy to believe that he doesn't have access to ADSL - much of rural Canada still lacks high-speed as well. Don't you think he'd know, since he lives there, and not you? :roll:

jpzr
05-10-2002, 08:03 PM
I find it quite easy to believe that he doesn't have access to ADSL

Europe is not Canada, and in Europe in several countries several companies offer NATIONAL coverage. So it is difficult for me to believe. I could even bet six pack of beer that there is ADSL coverage in Marlof's location... (Netherlands is a very small country in area and easy to cover)

marlof
05-10-2002, 10:14 PM
jpzr: you owe me a six pack of beer. Today the check of my zip code in the ADSL provider (MXstream) still gives " for technical reasons it is not possible to deliver ADSL to this address ". They used to state "right now, it is not possible" but they've changed it into "it is not possible". The reason why? I live to far away from the distrubution point . So there's not much chance that they'll be able to bring ADSL to my home address, until they'll add more distribution points or have a better technology.

The cable provider still does not offer broadband in my house either. They stated they will do this in 2002, but I understood they're having some doubts on expanding their current services. So even though you think ISDN belongs in the museum, it is my line to the rest of the world, and I'm still happy I can use it. It was quite something to have this in stead of analogue phonelines.

And I guess I belong in a museum too, as I can still remember the times when 9600 bps was considered "high speed net access". :)

Steven Cedrone
05-11-2002, 01:41 AM
And I guess I belong in a museum too, as I can still remember the times when 9600 bps was considered "high speed net access".

LOL, I actually still have a pile of Practical Peripherals 9600 Baud external modems.....Wanna buy one "for old times sake", buy one get ten free!!!!....... :lol:

SteveClawson
05-11-2002, 03:53 AM
I use a Cisco Aironet 350 PCcard with two networks: on our Cisco access point network at work, and it also works well with my Linksys access point at home, tied into my DSL access through my desktop PC running XP. We're working on video delivery for PPC, and the speed of the WLAN, it keeps up well with the news programming we're streaming from our websites (WM running at around 120kb)....and the sports programming isn't too bad either. It also works well for receiveing the streaming broadcasts from our AM sports station.

Can't wait till the cellphone folks turn up the bandwidth on their network here (Columbus) at the end of the month so I can get it all over town. The 14.4 stuff works fine for email, but that's about all.

Mike_Becker
05-11-2002, 05:55 AM
I use the Socket Communications Low Power CF I Card with my HP 568. It works great! I can Surf for hours at a time on one battery Charge. Using it right now to write this message lying in bed. It's turning me into an Internet junkie!

P.S. Is there any way to format these message boards for the PPC 's screen?

Pony99CA
05-11-2002, 09:46 AM
I connect my iPAQ 3870 to the Internet using an SMC PCMCIA 802.11b card (which surprisingly came with ARM drivers, although the application looks like it was designed for Handheld PCs). I use the dual PCMCIA sleeve, so I can use my 256MB CF card at the same time. (For details on my system, and a huge selection of Pocket PC links, check out my Silicon Valley Video Group Pocket PC Page (http://www.garlic.com/~shm/svvgppc.html).)

I have 768 kbps DSL attached to my SMC Barricade router/access point (which also can attach to a modem if you don't have DSL/cable; I used it that way before I got DSL). This system has worked great for me.

Steve

klein22326
05-12-2002, 02:50 AM
I've got two 80211b devices, a CF and PCMCIA wireless card. The CF card is a Linksys WCF11, and the PCMCIA card is a Compaq HNW-100. Both have a similar range (approx. 80 feet) from my access point, the Linksys WAP11. The access point is connected to a D-Link 10/100 switch, to which I have a Cisco 678 router for DSL. Being able to do a wireless activesync with this setup is very cool! :)