View Full Version : More info on the Jornada 56x, 57x and 928

Ed Hansberry
05-08-2002, 11:11 PM
<a href="http://news.com.com/2100-1040-903128.html?tag=fd_lede">http://news.com.com/2100-1040-903128.html?tag=fd_lede</a><br /><br />"HP will phase out the Jornada brand over the next six months and the remaining Jornada and iPaq products will become HP iPaq products within 12 months, according to HP spokeswoman Cherie Britt. The Jornada 560 will be discontinued in three to six months, and the next handheld will be an HP iPaq device. The original successor to the 560--the unannounced 570, which was put on hold because of a component delay--is being canceled. A similar device using the XScale processor will get the HP iPaq name. Devices using XScale chips are expected in the summer. The already announced Jornada 928 is still in the company's plan but is being re-evaluated. The Jornada 928 was to be launched in the summer in Europe and Asia and was expected to be available in the United States by the end of the year."<br /><br />Clear as mud eh? Sorry to see the 56x go but that is pure business. They say the 57x is cancelled but the upcoming X-Scale Jornada would carry the HP iPAQ moniker. Uhm... wasn't the 57x the X-Scale device? Good news (I hope) on the 928. Maybe that one will be renamed iPAQ and sold since Compaq brings nothing with integrated wireless to the party.<br /><br />The Jornada 720 line will continue and be rebranded iPAQ. The iPAQ 3100, 3600 and 3700 will be phased out while the 3800 will become the flagship product. Thanks to William Ofosu-Amaah for the heads up.

sundown
05-08-2002, 11:50 PM
Okay, so does that mean they will only be selling the Star Trekky looking iPaq or some variation thereof? The iPaq is cool looking and all but I prefer the look of the Jornada, to be honest with you. At least if they do I hope they make a more professional business-looking one.

js415
05-09-2002, 12:26 AM
I agree with you 100%. I am still using my 548 because it looks very serious and business-like. I would hate to be sitting in a meeting with a silver/chrome plated machine that looks like some sort of game. I sure wish I had all the higher specs, but I done want or need to carry around a device that does not "look" professional. At least in my superiors eyes anyways!!!

Jerry

Inventor
05-09-2002, 12:28 AM
Im using a Jornada 568 and its a really cool looking machine. The flip cover is a must, ( I couldnt imagine it any other way)

I think that HP will see that its best to get thier gazillion patents on PDAs (that Compaq was not allowed to use) and the gazillion patents from Compaq (that HP was not allowed to use) put them in a blender and make one mean bean machine! :lol:

JamesM
05-09-2002, 03:25 AM
I gotta say that I was most worried about the Jornada 720 line. I love my 568 and am concerned about future (OS) upgrades, but I'm pretty confident that when I'm ready to buy something new, there'll be a pretty good selection of PPC devices from which to choose, whether they're hp iPaqs or something else. The 720 line, however, is unique to hp, and worth preserving. I still use my 680 quite a bit and like it better than my 568 for some purposes. Someday I'll need to replace the 680 and for now at least, it looks like there'll be something available.
-James

Will T Smith
05-09-2002, 06:18 AM
Good news on releasing an X-Scale Jornada under the iPaq name.

When the Jornada form factor goes head to head with iPaq in the business marketplace, I think that it's features will get a BIG nod.

I'm glad to see that Hewlett-Paq-ard will let the marketplace choose instead of dictating one or the other.

A best of breed "hybrid" between iPaq and Jornada would be a great addition to the marketplace.

I. Bergman
05-09-2002, 06:31 AM
I really hope the new device will be more like a Jornada than like an Ipaq:

- Flip cover
- Better cursor pad
- Better form factor
- CF slot built-in (a MUST) I'm using CF memory cards for photography
- Exchangeable battery

The only issue that needs to be resolved is the dust thing.

Take1
05-09-2002, 11:09 AM
This could be the start of THE PPC pda if they combine the right elelments of the iPAQ and the 56x series. I really hope the audio chip in the iPAQ remains as well as the dust free screen. I hope the cover, battery life, and removable battery is introduced from the 56x. I also hope they make it as thin as the e310 (a hair thicker for dual expansion).

I also hope they come up with a really neat desgin that drops the iPAQ shape and copies the HP/NEC/Toshiba (i.e., squarish) with nicely rounded corners.

Ed Hansberry
05-09-2002, 01:02 PM
Good news on releasing an X-Scale Jornada under the iPaq name.

When the Jornada form factor goes head to head with iPaq in the business marketplace, I think that it's features will get a BIG nod.

1. The iPAQ has soundly trounced the Jornada in the business marketplace for 2 years. It isn't consumers that have purchased the over 2,000,000 iPAQ's sold. Compaq got it right in 2000 with the 3600. Small, fast, lightweight but able to use CF-I, II and PCMCIA cards. Business seem happy with their iPAQ investments and continue to buy 3800's.
2. As I indicated, this article contradicts itself. It says the X-Scale device will survive, but the 570 is gone. The 570 is the X-Scale device and I've recently seen some info from a now former Jornada team member. The 570/X-scale HP Jornada is dead. I hope the iPAQ team will do X-Scale sooner rather than later.

vetteguy
05-09-2002, 01:48 PM
Couldn't it just mean that the upcoming X-Scale PDA from HP/Compaq will be an X-Scale iPAQ? Since they're saying the 57x series is cancelled, the next generation device will carry the iPAQ name and will be X-Scale, wouldn't that just be an existing iPAQ with a new processor? Since the iPAQ is the device that is surviving the merger anyway. Or am I missing something?

thadrool
05-09-2002, 02:37 PM
Couldn't it just mean that the upcoming X-Scale PDA from HP/Compaq will be an X-Scale iPAQ? Since they're saying the 57x series is cancelled, the next generation device will carry the iPAQ name and will be X-Scale, wouldn't that just be an existing iPAQ with a new processor? Since the iPAQ is the device that is surviving the merger anyway. Or am I missing something?

Sure sounds like it...unless they've been working on an HP iPaq design for a whole now, which I doubt given the last minute cancellation of the 570. *Sigh* as much as we hope they put Jornada features in the next version, it just may not happen...especially if the new team is ALL from Compaq.

sweetpete
05-09-2002, 04:23 PM
Maybe that one will be renamed iPAQ and sold since Compaq brings nothing with integrated wireless to the party.

Ed, I wouldn't be sure that Compaq brings nothing to integrated wireless ... lets just say that a 3900 series has been in the works for a little while now and we should start seeing some leaked news shortly. I don't believe we will have XScale yet, but integrated is DEFINITELY on the way. :wink:
Personally I love this announcement. We get the iPaq looks and design and now the added HP engineering and ingenuity brought into the mold. I can't wait for the combined team to put out a first product :D

Hans the Hedgehog
05-09-2002, 06:07 PM
...It isn't consumers that have purchased the over 2,000,000 iPAQ's sold...

Ed, I thought I read in one of the market reports this site linked to that nearly 75% of PDAs had been bought by individuals with their own money-- not the enterprise as you claim. I'm not a market researcher by any means, but the numbers in all these reports seem to always contradict each other and it makes everyone seem like they are talking out of the side of their mouth. Palm is up in one, PPC in another, Sony leads Compaq in this one, Compaq leads PPC in that one... :?

Could you clear this up for me? Is it 75% individuals or mostly enterprise purchases? Because, basically, if it is still 75% individuals, then when will we see this "enterprise" myth take off?

Happy tapping,
Hans

Ed Hansberry
05-09-2002, 06:17 PM
Ed, I thought I read in one of the market reports this site linked to that nearly 75% of PDAs had been bought by individuals with their own money-- not the enterprise as you claim. I'm not a market researcher by any means, but the numbers in all these reports seem to always contradict each other and it makes everyone seem like they are talking out of the side of their mouth. Palm is up in one, PPC in another, Sony leads Compaq in this one, Compaq leads PPC in that one... :?

Could you clear this up for me? Is it 75% individuals or mostly enterprise purchases? Because, basically, if it is still 75% individuals, then when will we see this "enterprise" myth take off?
I haven't seen an article or research paper on point about this. However, if 75% of PDAs are purchased by individuals, that doesn't discount in the least that enterprise sales exist. Most of those are obviously sub $200 Palm's, which few if any enterprise's buy.