View Full Version : Casio E-200 takes top honors at CNN PDA review

Ed Hansberry
05-08-2002, 02:03 PM
<a href="http://www.cnn.com/2002/TECH/ptech/05/06/top.pdas.idg/index.html">http://www.cnn.com/2002/TECH/ptech/05/06/top.pdas.idg/index.html</a><br /><br />In a review comparing high end PDA's, the Casio E-200 took top honors as "one of the most alluring Pocket PCs, the E-200 offers both CF and SD slots built in for no-fuss expansion, as well as plenty of memory and a bright, easy-to-read screen." It was compared against the iPAQ 3850, Jornada 565, Palm M515 and Sony Clie T-615.<br /><br />Remember just two short years ago that any review involving Pocket PC's and a Palm device would put the Palm in the top spot regardless of the criteria? Good to see that is no longer the case. <i>(Now, how in the world did the M515 finish above the iPAQ!)</i> ;-)

Arne Hess
05-08-2002, 03:06 PM
That's a great honor for the E-200 and yes, since I got my new E-200 (which works now finally) I like to use it.
The screen is top of the class, bright and sharp and I like the expansion slots and the memory too! A lot of the people out there don't like the design but for me it's a nice one. It's not this more fancy EM-500 one but 1000 times better than the E-125.

So here is my personal voting of today's popular Pocket PC 2002s:

1. Compaq iPAQ H3870
2. Casio E-200
3. Toshiba Genio
4. HP Jornada 565
5. Compaq iPAQ H3850

I-Dawg
05-08-2002, 04:43 PM
I've had my E-200 since January and absolutley love it. I've previous owned an E-115 and have used all of the Casio models (E-105 on up) and the E-200 continues the great line of products.

Despite the iPaq's popularity, I liked the E-200 better since day one. It's has a brighter, richer looking screen and the dual expansion slots. The smaller screen size looks better than the larger iPaq ones and Casio even added names to the Storage Card Folders (CF Card, SD Card) so it eliminates the naming problem.

It's nice to finally see the E-200 being recognized as a great product. Now if only more retail stores would start carrying them....
--
Ian "I-Dawg" Kullhem
[email protected]

JonathanWardRogers
05-08-2002, 05:00 PM
I've had my E-200 since January and absolutley love it. I've previous owned an E-115 and have used all of the Casio models (E-105 on up) and the E-200 continues the great line of products.

&lt;snip>

It's nice to finally see the E-200 being recognized as a great product. Now if only more retail stores would start carrying them....

I wholeheartedly agree. Casio has never received the praise that they deserve for the feature rich PDAs they make. Product support and backing is a bit lacking, but even that is improving (had a great response to my BLOD). They offer accessories (cell phone cables) and expansion possibilities (PC, CF and SD at the same time, and USB host) that most other Pocket PC manufacturers do not.

A big kudos to Casio!

Jon

tccox
05-08-2002, 06:34 PM
Yea, but the June issue of Popular Mechanics declared the IPAQ 3870, "The King Of All Pocket PCs". Now who you gonna believe, those sissies at CNN or the toughguys at PM ???????? :-)

gmelfissg
05-08-2002, 08:18 PM
it very fun to finally people see the light that IPAQ is not num ber one in handheld favorite !!!

OH YA YA YA YA !!!!!! Ouipi !!!!!!!!!111 :o :o :o

johncruise
05-08-2002, 08:35 PM
Yea, but the June issue of Popular Mechanics declared the IPAQ 3870, "The King Of All Pocket PCs". Now who you gonna believe, those sissies at CNN or the toughguys at PM ???????? :-)

Well, they have different point of views when doing the review. iPaq really is the leader when it comes to accessorizing your PDA with all the support it's getting from 3rd party companies (software and hardware wise)... that may be why PM declared it as #1. While Casio do provides more features "out-of-the-box" -- is the reason why CNN sees it as the top PDA. The only Pocket PC that has the same feature with the E-200 is the Toshiba e570 but has a shorter battery life compared with the E-200. True iPaq provides a built in bluetooth capabilities but majority of the Pocket PC owners doesn't even use it. I left out the fact that E-200 has USB client and host capabilities but everyone would just claim that nothing much out there utilizes this features except from some USB keyboards, mouse (pretty much useless cause you dont get a mouse pointer) and a USB floppy drive.

Anyway, I don't intend to start an argument here... I'm just happy to see that Pocket PC has top Palm OS on a non-biased review. :D