View Full Version : WordCommands

Jason Dunn
05-06-2002, 07:09 PM
<a href="http://members.tripod.ca/~paragon1/wordcommands/">http://members.tripod.ca/~paragon1/wordcommands/</a><br /><br />Jay Lagorio posted a message about his software in a discussion message, but I thought his software looked so cool I wanted to share it with you. If you use a keyboard, you'll love this software! Best of all, it's free.<br /><br />"Do you have a Stowaway Keyboard, or another brand of external keyboard that attaches to your Pocket PC? When you use Pocket Word, you've probably tried to type a document, during which you've pressed Ctrl+B or Ctrl+I out of habit. What happens then? Well...nothing. Pocket Word ignores your command and continues to give you a plain, normally-formatted text that doesn't have Bold, Underlined, or Italicized text like you had asked.<br /><br />Now, however, there's an easy and simple way to do this without doing much of anything that's different from what you would do on your word processor on your PC. It's called WordCommands. WordCommands will attach to Microsoft Word and intercept those keyboard shortcuts that Word doesn't pay attention to. Then, when it sees that you've typed a key combination, it will send the appropriate message to Microsoft Word, which will act as if you've just tapped the correct button or elected the proper menu item."

Ed Hansberry
05-06-2002, 07:30 PM
Very Cool! 8)

Paragon
05-06-2002, 07:35 PM
Pretty cool little app isn't it Jason.

Jay Lagorio helps me moderate the HP forums at Pocket PC Passion. He is still in High School.... I think he has a future in writing software ahead of him if he chooses. This app has been picked up by several sites around the world all giving it great reviews.

He has been writing a program for me.... so would you guys all leave him alone so he can finish it. :D

Dave

JayLagorio
05-06-2002, 07:59 PM
Well, I'm glad it's been looked at! I just wish I could put up a counter to see how many people view the page or download the software. Oh well, it's Tripod, what can ya' do?

Thanks again for the comments and the review, and if anyone has any suggestions or anything, don't hesitate to E-Mail me.

[email protected]

MBurch
05-06-2002, 10:08 PM
Jay,

thanks for doing this app. It is exactly what is needed. You have filled a big niche with a little application!

Jeff Kirvin
05-06-2002, 10:44 PM
Jay, thank you SO much for this. This fixes a big gripe I had with Microsoft over Pocket Word.

JJ
05-06-2002, 10:45 PM
Great little program! This is what Pocket Word should've had.

JayLagorio
05-06-2002, 11:06 PM
Jay, thank you SO much for this. This fixes a big gripe I had with Microsoft over Pocket Word.

May I just tell you that I've been reading your columns through AvantGo for a while now, and that I really like them? I look forward to them every week!

And thanks to everyone for the praise over this little app. I guess I decided correctly when I thought I should stop sitting on all of the little programs I write. I'm glad this one is useful to everyone!

gamboagarcia
05-06-2002, 11:24 PM
As I tell you, Jay, in another board. HP Pocket Keyboard canīt take advantage of your software, since it has no Cntrl Key!!!.

:(

David.

Ed Hansberry
05-06-2002, 11:39 PM
Thanks again for the comments and the review, and if anyone has any suggestions or anything, don't hesitate to E-Mail me.

Can this be put in the Startup group? I hesitate to try doing that sometimes because it can cause a device to need a hard reset to recover.

JayLagorio
05-07-2002, 02:17 AM
gamboagarcia: Yes, you were the very first to let me know about this issue. I've received E-Mail from others on it too, but you got there before them :). I've just gotten ahold of the HP Pocket Keyboard drivers, and I will be disecting them to see if there's anything that can be done about that.

Ed Hansberry: Yes, it can be put into the Startup items folder. I've had mine there since version 1.0. However, just know that when you restart, Pocket Word will run because WordCommands will run. When Pocket Word isn't detected in memory, it is automatically started and attached to. The next version is going to be set up where the program can always be in memory, and if it's run from Startup items it will sit there and not do anything until Pocket Word is launched.

Gerard
05-08-2002, 12:39 AM
Thanks for mentioning that Jay. Looks like I'll be sticking to older versions... I've associated all the Word filetypes (except TXT, which goes to GigaPad) with WordCommands. Bit of a chore on the new OS it turns out, as DOC, RTF, PSW.... all have 'dual-keys' now instead of the old PPC 2000 single association. Nasty stuff.
I am very grateful for this program, and eager to see what you come up with for an email client... but I'll be patient.

JayLagorio
05-08-2002, 02:20 AM
Gerard: You mean that when you tap a Pocket Word document, it opens WordCommands, which opens Pocket Word, which opens that document without any other action on your part?

I think you found a bug...er..um..feature! Yes, it's a feature! I put it there on purpose, it's supposed to do that! Umm...yeah...heh heh... :D

No, really, did you get it to do that? Even I will admit that that is some A1 hacking you did, because I can't even get it to do that without my changing the code. In addition, believe it or not, that feature is on the To Do list for that program, is to add something like that, allowing the commnadline that was supposed to be given to Pocket Word pass-through WordCommands and be passed to Pocket Word anyway. If you can get it to do it by yourself, will you post here how?

I have to admit, it takes a good tester to teach a programmer about his own programs! :D

Gerard
05-08-2002, 07:29 AM
Time to 'fess up and eat crow. I'm not used to using two computers. This iPAQ thing, it has me dizzy.
I'd been messing with registries all over, getting a bunch of my favourite edits into the new device... and I guess I lost track of what I'd done and not done with Word-related files.
Turns out I must've been very sleepy when I thought I'd done what I said I'd done, as the icons were yours but the Ctrl+H didn't bring up your Help page. (I've also scarcely used the Casio lately, except as a reference for the iPAQ registry setup and such, and as yet have no keyboard for the iPAQ - besides which I'm supposed to be doing a review of various screen protectors... so I'm writing stylus-style again these days.
This said, I could swear I had it going as I stated with RTF, DOC, and PSW files. I mean, I thought I had. Maybe I'm crazier than I thought.
In any case, I apologize for the misinformation. I will keep at it and see if I can get it working... this really bugs me. It's like amnesia or something... But I should be sure to triple-check before next I post something like the above.

JayLagorio
05-08-2002, 10:55 AM
Heh heh heh :D. I wondered on that. Don't worry about it, it happens to us all. I think it would be a good feature, though. If you get it working, I'll start a tips & tricks section on the web page with it (of course, you'll be credited).

mbrtis
08-07-2002, 10:31 PM
Is there a mirror of the software somewhere?

Gerard
08-07-2002, 10:54 PM
I think ThinkOutside has it posted on their site, but it's been a while since I looked:
http://www.thinkoutside.com/
Otherwise, email me or PM me and I'll send you a copy. It's small, and free, so I don't think Jay would have any objections.

Gerard
08-07-2002, 11:17 PM
I've checked around, and it seems WordCommands is toast, web-wise. For the moment, I've uploaded the MIPS and ARM versions (all I have) zipped to my webspace, if anyone needs them:
http://www.luthier.ca/other/forum/wordcommands-arm.zip

http://www.luthier.ca/other/forum/wordcommands-mips.zip

Wonder what happened to Jay's page?

Paragon
08-07-2002, 11:55 PM
Wonder what happened to Jay's page?

I'm not sure what happened to Jay's page. It is on my space and I can't even sign on to it. :evil:

Dave

Gerard
08-08-2002, 02:39 AM
Well, that's a little bit of a kick ion the knees! I trust an angry letter has been sent to Tripod?