View Full Version : Warning: Ongoing eBay fraud

Andy Sjostrom
05-02-2002, 02:10 PM
I just received an email from someone using the email [email protected] as sender. Do not trust the email. Don't follow the instructions, don't give away your bank account details. The email starts:

"Dear eBay member!
Your information in our eBay file, was marked (flagged) as incorrect and/or (fraudulent). To avoid any inconvenience concerning an interruption of your service membership, in future. Please take just a moment and update your eBay billing file. Remember to "doublecheck" all the fields for any possible mistakes."

The email then contains the a URL with an eBay "look alike" page, that is definately not the real deal. On the page, the user is asked to fill in bank account details. I am not too good at finding out what ISP runs a specific site, so I will give you the URL here. I won't link to it in case anyone accidentally clicks the link and starts reading the text. Again: do not follow these instructions! Here is the URL: 64.177.3.234

Brandy
05-02-2002, 02:46 PM
Looks like they got caught, the site is down.

bargle
05-02-2002, 02:56 PM
http://www.geektools.com/cgi-bin/proxy.cgi

Its your friend. I'm more supprised it was a ISP in the USA.

Alabanza, Inc. (NETBLK-ALABANZA-BALT-4)
8309 Tinsley Rd.
Baltimore, MD 21244
US

normaldude
05-02-2002, 03:07 PM

Alabanza, Inc. (NETBLK-ALABANZA-BALT-4)
8309 Tinsley Rd.
Baltimore, MD 21244
US

Netname: ALABANZA-BALT-4
Netblock: 64.176.0.0 - 64.177.255.255
Maintainer: ALAB

Coordinator:
Cunningham, Thomas (TC12-ARIN) [email protected]
410-779-1400

Domain System inverse mapping provided by:

NS.ALABANZA.COM 209.239.47.252
NS2.ALABANZA.COM 209.239.47.201

ADDRESSES WITHIN THIS BLOCK ARE NON-PORTABLE

Record last updated on 06-Oct-2000.
Database last updated on 1-May-2002 19:59:42 EDT.

normaldude
05-02-2002, 03:08 PM
Note: be sure to forward a copy of the spam email to [email protected]

Andy Sjostrom
05-02-2002, 03:41 PM
Thanks!
I forwarded the mail!

bargle
05-02-2002, 04:00 PM
They might not be responsable for whole mess. Thats like saying pocketpctoughts is resposable for spam, when someone harvests the site.

Ed Hansberry
05-02-2002, 04:41 PM
They might not be responsable for whole mess. Thats like saying pocketpctoughts is resposable for spam, when someone harvests the site.

You absolved us of all responsibility when you signed up though. :wink: :lol:

bargle
05-02-2002, 05:49 PM

You absolved us of all responsibility when you signed up though. :wink: :lol:

More likely than anything the con artist used a stolden CC and the ISP is inocent.

And for as EUA, EULA's have been contested in court before :twisted:
http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/4/23073.html

Ed Hansberry
05-02-2002, 06:33 PM
And for as EUA, EULA's have been contested in court before :twisted:
http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/4/23073.html

Interesting. Do you realize in one way you are prohibited from selling your Pocket PC 2002 device? You get Outlook XP with it and it activates to your PC. If you sell your Pocket PC 2002, you cannot also let them have Outlook XP since the CD would be worthless to them. So they have to go buy a $100 copy of Outlook to sync with. :evil:

I can understand not being able to sell Office or Windows, but in this case I don't think the Outlook team thought it all the way through when their product got bundled with Pocket PC.

CoffeeKid
05-02-2002, 08:30 PM
Interesting. Do you realize in one way you are prohibited from selling your Pocket PC 2002 device? You get Outlook XP with it and it activates to your PC. If you sell your Pocket PC 2002, you cannot also let them have Outlook XP since the CD would be worthless to them. So they have to go buy a $100 copy of Outlook to sync with. :evil:

I can understand not being able to sell Office or Windows, but in this case I don't think the Outlook team thought it all the way through when their product got bundled with Pocket PC.

Typical of Microsoft's EULAs as of late. Who doesn't remember the BS they have in their CrapPage... uh, Front Page software that states quite clearly (although way down the agreement) that you cannot use Front Page to create web pages that in any way are critical of Microsoft...

Those aspects of EULAs I just completely ignore, because if not outright illegal, they are immoral and unethical. If I sell my PPC device, you can bet I'll be providing the CD with Outlook XP. I would assume most other PPC sellers are doing likewise.

Ed Hansberry
05-02-2002, 08:41 PM
Those aspects of EULAs I just completely ignore, because if not outright illegal, they are immoral and unethical. If I sell my PPC device, you can bet I'll be providing the CD with Outlook XP. I would assume most other PPC sellers are doing likewise.

Yeah but the CD is no good. If they install Outlook XP and try to activate it, it will be denied because you had already activated it on your PC.

CoffeeKid
05-02-2002, 09:17 PM
Yeah but the CD is no good. If they install Outlook XP and try to activate it, it will be denied because you had already activated it on your PC.

Oh YEAH!. I forgot about the stupid Activation crap! :evil:

It's been a while since we installed XP office and Pro on our 7 office computers, and I forgot what a it pita it added to the install routine, what with the physical tacking of the CDs et al to each computer. Previously, we'd buy all the licenses, but just carry one CD around installing it, using the different license numbers from the boxes.

Grr. Microsoft. Another reason not to like them. I still think what they've done is totally wrong, if not illegal (I'm sorry, but if I pay for a license for something, I firmly believe there's nothing wrong with selling it if I choose to no longer use it - to me, it's no different than selling a music CD or a book).

Oh well, now I'm off to the "Comdex Las Vegas" of the coffee world... the SCAA Conference in Anaheim tomorrow... woo hoo!

Sven Johannsen
05-02-2002, 11:03 PM
I think you'll find the manual activation process, though tedious, is staffed by very lenient folks. Once you get the 'Can't activate, call this number", and you explain that you purcased a piece of hardware and the software with it, I bet they'll go ahead and activate it for you.

I've had a laptop die, got a new one, and of course reinstalling my Office XP hit the activation wall. Simple call got me up and running.

P.S. If you are buying that many licenses, why don't you go with the one of the volume options. As I understand it, those don't involve activation.

bargle
05-02-2002, 11:22 PM
I also head from some OEM tech back when I use to work for BSDi, that XP's activation zeroed out after 6, or was it 8 months. I just got a new motherboard so I have been fearing installing it. But some friends said they were easy going about such things.

seanturner
05-03-2002, 04:58 PM
I also head from some OEM tech back when I use to work for BSDi, that XP's activation zeroed out after 6, or was it 8 months. I just got a new motherboard so I have been fearing installing it. But some friends said they were easy going about such things.

Yeah, I think it does after 6 months. But you can just call Microsoft and tell them that you changed motherboards and you need to reactivate it, they will help you. About 3 months ago my laptop died so I took the harddrive out and put it in as my desktop's only drive. I booted from it, but, it asked me to reactivate, so I called MS and they activated it no questions asked. Then, when I got a new laptop, I put the old harddrive in the new laptop and reactivated again and MS gave me no problems. Then, I reformatted the laptop and called MS again to reactivate (I didn't have an inet connection at the time)