View Full Version : Looking to be a game tester, got good skills for it too!

Muten Roshi
05-01-2002, 01:28 AM
Greetings!
My name is Mark and i am searching to be a games tester.
It would be my dream job to work for a software company as game tester since you could say that im am addicted to computer games. Im playing 9 hours average daily so i guess you could call it an addictive.
I am currently playing the MMPRPG Asheron's Call for over 2 years now and have 2 chars around lvl 80 and my main is about to hit lvl 100,and after all the game is still fun to me .
This should prove that i have enough motivation to test a game for a long time and still having fun with it .
Further to this, i am also looking to throw in some ideas in the game design when they hit my mind while testing the game if thats at all possible.
But basically i'd really like to undertake this position because i would like to undertake a challange where i can put my heart and soul into.
I look forward to challanges which alot of positions don't provide, I am eager to undertake a role which this can be provided.
Not like working "any" job i dont like from dawn till dusk for a life time... i couldnt call my life nice then, but playing computer games is just something i love and invest most of my time in.
I am from Austria so my mother tounge is German, but i have good communication, both.. German and English in writing and speaking, so this shall not be a problem at all.
Also i am willing to move to any other country if needed to undertake a position, I look forward to new ventures and opportunities.
It's needless to say that my interessts aren't only going for computer games and computers.
I enjoy working on things that utilise my creative energy, i work on music projects such as producing instrumentals for hip hop and drum 'n' bass, and DJ-ing with records too.
I look forward to hearing from you further about this position.

Sincerely Mark

BugDude10
02-18-2003, 05:41 AM
And I'm available for prostitute-testing! E-mail or call today!

Fishie
02-18-2003, 01:14 PM
Been there done that(games not prostitutes).
Gmestesting is not FUN and more often then not it sucks out all the joy one might get from playing games as you will be forced to play buggy unfinished games for houres on end.

Rirath
02-18-2003, 08:52 PM
If you're going to plead your heart out to anyone who'll listen publicly, spell check it and use some nice formatting. I get the feeling you really have no idea what beta testers do. As for why you can play games for long hours on end, that's why they call it a game. Also known as entertainment.

karen
02-19-2003, 12:18 AM
Greetings!
My name is Mark and i am searching to be a games tester.
It would be my dream job to work for a software company as game tester since you could say that im am addicted to computer games.

Many professional games testers have university degree and in-depth experience and training in formal testing methodologies. This is especially important if you are looking for a permanent job that has any sort of career ladder. Testing managers quite often have game development experience at the professional level. Testers have a professional-level understanding of quality assurance, software testing, systems development methods, languages, standards, and tools.

So if you want a career in testing, I suggest you get busy on preparing -- schooling, research, and testing methodologies.

Here are some great links that tell you what sort of job this would be:

http://www.penny-arcade.com/porktester.php3
http://www.sloperama.com/advice/lesson5.html

Rirath
02-19-2003, 02:19 AM

The second link seems broke, but the first one is a dang good read. Almost as much fun as Gabe's recent rant on working in the Retail industry. :lol:

karen
02-19-2003, 04:24 AM

The second link seems broke, but the first one is a dang good read. Almost as much fun as Gabe's recent rant on working in the Retail industry. :lol:

Second one works for me...

Yeah, an exciting job, and it averages a whopping 22k per year, usually in a large US city where rent costs about that much, too.

K

felixdd
02-20-2003, 03:08 AM
How old are you Muten? I remember when I was younger I'd spend hours on end in Quake 2-- until one day I just got sick of it all and stopped nearly cold turkey. I spend probably less than 2 hours on it annually now. It really is something that you outgrow.

Rirath
02-20-2003, 03:38 AM
How old are you Muten? I remember when I was younger I'd spend hours on end in Quake 2-- until one day I just got sick of it all and stopped nearly cold turkey. I spend probably less than 2 hours on it annually now. It really is something that you outgrow.

Hey hey now... :) Some of us went on to Quake 3 ya know. There are serious jobs in the game biz.
Writers, reviewers, journalists, testers, developers, artists, publishers, etc.

Janak Parekh
02-20-2003, 05:40 AM
How old are you, Felix? I played Wolf3D many, many years ago, played DOOM, DOOM II, Ultimate DOOM, moved on to Quake, II, and now still play Q3A all the time. :)

--janak

felixdd
02-21-2003, 02:57 AM
Not old enough to know the good games of old :(

I spent countless hours on Doom 2 as well -- but wouldn't call myself a gamer cuz I didn't know much else about computers other than how to run MS Paint.

I remember playing Descent...made me feel really, really sick. And <sigh> I remember playing "Speed Racer" and "archon" :D

Janak Parekh
02-21-2003, 05:10 AM
I remember playing Descent...made me feel really, really sick. And <sigh> I remember playing "Speed Racer" and "archon" :D
So you're not that young then. :) I remember playing Descent vividly, as well. The first time I played it was the first time, and the last time, I ever got dizzy playing a 3D game. After that it was much more fun. Talk about intense. 8O

--janak

Sheynk
02-21-2003, 05:24 AM
Its sad but true...I went console on January 22, 2003

Splinter cell is awesome....but I still dont get the same FPS action on my xbox as I do from going to a LAN club and putting so time into Counter Strike