seanturner
04-18-2002, 06:12 AM
Anyone have any ideas when the new xscale iPaq's will be coming out :?:

Jason Dunn
04-18-2002, 07:15 AM
Summertime I believe.

Bond
04-25-2002, 04:24 AM
I can't wait for the xscales, it's a pity that Compaq didn't jump on the opportunity to use the processors earlier (3800 series), as Intel had the technology in place. It would have given Compaq the definite edge in the current market of near identical products, besides expansion and design.

Luckily, I have a Best Buy service plan, $60 that goes a long way. I have managed to get a 3600 upgraded to 3700, and recently that 3700 to 3800, and I haven't paid a penny. I hope I will have such luck with the new devices coming out. Compaq should attempt to provide a built-in compactflash expansion slot in these models (in my mind), but keep their sleeve system for PC cards, cameras, etc.. The black plastic protusion on the 3800 seems to give them enough room to squish a CompactFlash slot in behind the SD slot (and maybe even integrate wi-fi).

I don't know about anyone else, but even if the device is a very high-end price, Compaq needs to take such strides to remain the leader in the PocketPC market, integrating CompactFlash expansion across the board, and, perahaps as they are marketnig their 3870, offering seperate models with Wi-fi, bluetooth, or even both. Unfortunately, these would entail a great drain on the battery, meaning it will take a great amount of tweaking and conservation software, but hey, I'd open my wallet for that.

Just my two cents 8)

disciple
04-25-2002, 05:33 AM
If the new XSCALE ipaqs really keep the same form factor then
compaq sleeve idea will be prooved to be of a great a success due to the unlimited choice of expansion the will continue even to the older models.

seanturner
04-25-2002, 06:42 AM
Yeah, I've got a warenty on my 3835 from CompUSA and I think i'm gonna upgrade to the xscales on the grounds of the backlight issue i'm suffering from...

ctitanic
04-25-2002, 05:52 PM
Summertime I believe.

You are a real optimist.
:wink:

seanturner
04-29-2002, 12:32 AM
lol. I hope its summer... :?