View Full Version : Wireless broadband across the UK

FredMurphy
04-10-2002, 10:40 AM
All of us in the UK know how BT usually manage to miss their targets by a fairly wide margin (ADSL etc.) but it's a genuine story. They want to rollout 802.11b (I presume) access points across the country.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/business/newsid_1920000/1920551.stm

Lots of talk recently about turning the ISP model on it's head [sorry can't remember source] so would that mean free 10Mps for all? :D

Fred

james.sandell
05-12-2002, 12:16 PM
Hi,

I know this is true...BT retail have a new divisional CEO called Piere Dannon. He is the one pushing this.

Basically, BT are looking to test out 3G services (such as micropayments and various types of digital media) without having to invest huge amounts of money on infrastructure - essentially all they need are access points, a large internet pipe and a logon server.

The key to the sucess of such a play is to secure areas where there is a huge footfall and people with wireless devices, e.g. railways stations. As you have probably seen wireless enabled devices are started to pop up all over the place - so it is only a matter of time before this idea flies..!!

PS: I am a shareholder in a company called broadreach (broadreach.com) who have a signed a deal with BT recently to provide these services..!!

seanturner
05-13-2002, 02:45 AM
Hmmn... 802.11b... In Japan, they now have 144k wireless over cell phones. I wonder when this will be ported to the US...