View Full Version : 340 meg IBM Microdrive - $99!

Jason Dunn
04-02-2002, 02:22 AM
<a href="http://www.ssdonline.com/detail_page.cfm?productid=MD340/A&affid=T99">http://www.ssdonline.com/detail_page.cfm?productid=MD340/A&affid=T99</a><br /><br />Looking for some cheap mass storage? This deal is one of the better I've seen as far as sheer bang for your buck goes - 340 megs of Microdrive storage for $99 (after rebate). Sweet! Purchasing from these affiliate links helps to support this site.<br /><br /><a href="http://www.ssdonline.com/detail_page.cfm?productid=MD340RK&affid=T99">340MB IBM Microdrive + FREE High Speed CompactFlash Card Reader</a><br />(Retail Packaged)<br />$99.95 after $50 mail-in rebate<br /><br /><a href="http://www.ssdonline.com/detail_page.cfm?productid=MD340/A&affid=T99">340MB IBM Microdrive + FREE Type II PCMCIA Adapter</a><br />$99.95* after $50 mail-in rebate

icatar
04-02-2002, 04:20 AM
The same site has the 1 GB drive for $239 after rebate. Oh, someone cut up my credit card quickly!!! :twisted:

IpaqMan2
04-02-2002, 04:36 AM
I thought the 340 meg drives, were murder on the battery life. Anyone know if this is really true? If not.. I may just have to make the purchase.

bchristian
04-02-2002, 04:57 AM
I just bought an Iomega 1GB Microdrive for $195.46 including shipping. This was just last week. The free shipping was a given, but I got 10% off their regular price on the drive using coupon code software14. Their regular price is $229 and it is my understanding that it is just a repackaged IBM. As far as battery life, I have read lots of places that the 1GB is actually better on battery life as the newer 1GB model was designed later. However, that certainly could have changed as they have had time to update their older 340MB models since then. I don't know from personal experience as I just got my 1GB model last week and have never used a 340MB model.

Master O'Mayhem
04-02-2002, 05:07 AM
340mb... that is SOOOOO last year.... :D

aviator
04-02-2002, 06:22 AM
is 340Mb really "mass storage" these days? My 5gb Toshiba pcmcia drive is full already and I am holding my breath for the 10Gb and 20gb!

:wink:

MichaelA
04-02-2002, 07:17 AM
Hey bchristian, are you sure that promotional code is correct? I tried it and the site gave me an error. Maybe it is no longer valid. :-(

Still, $229 seems like a pretty good price for 1G. :-)

Jason Dunn
04-02-2002, 07:46 AM
I thought the 340 meg drives, were murder on the battery life. Anyone know if this is really true? If not.. I may just have to make the purchase.

A Microdrive is harder on battery life than a CF card, but for $99.... :-)

Chubbergott
04-02-2002, 06:22 PM

I don't know about other Microdrives but my 340 absolutely murdered my PocketPC's battery, and it got really hot as well, and it wouldn't play WMA without nasty pauses.

If the bigger ones don't have these problems........ get a bigger one.

As someone said, 340Mb isn't much, particularly since PocketPC devices are primarily used as multimedia centers that need big files rather than professional tools that use (relatively) smaller files.

PS. What's with the rebate? Why not just knock the price down?

Jason Dunn
04-02-2002, 06:26 PM
PS. What's with the rebate? Why not just knock the price down?

Rebates are a way for the manufacturer to get more money up front, pool some cash, then dish it back out to the consumer. It's more beneficial to the OEM to offer rebates than to simply drop the price. It's the way much of the industry works. :-)

Aceze
04-03-2002, 04:31 AM
I don't know about other Microdrives but my 340 absolutely murdered my PocketPC's battery, and it got really hot as well, and it wouldn't play WMA without nasty pauses.

If the bigger ones don't have these problems........ get a bigger one.

Nope, I have had the 1GB MD drive (since back when they went for ~$700 and change Canadian - yeesh!) for some time - and they do the same thing - get hot, eat batteries, and skip when loading pretty much anything from them. Too bad I dont have a Canon G2 - where I could put it to better use.

I wish there were some way to make it spindown less often... *sigh*
Aceze

Jason Dunn
04-03-2002, 06:51 AM
Nope, I have had the 1GB MD drive (since back when they went for ~$700 and change Canadian - yeesh!) for some time - and they do the same thing - get hot, eat batteries, and skip when loading pretty much anything from them.

I have a 1 gig model myself, and while it does eat batteries, on a fully charged iPAQ 3650 I can get 3 hours of MP3 playback, no skipping. The Microdrive is quite cool in my book!

Newsboy
05-10-2002, 10:05 AM
Even cheaper still, go to Iomega.com, they are selling their own Iomega branded IBM 340meg microdrive for $70 roughly.