View Full Version : AvantGo Channel

Jason Dunn
03-29-2002, 02:15 AM
Ok people, what gives? I fired up AvantGo today to see how many un-used channels were chewing up my memory, and while a few of the channels were dead, the Pocket PC Thoughts channel worked. What the heck? How many other people are reading this site through AvantGo? Did they do a stealth re-neg on their promise to kill all custom channels? So many questions...

Lotak
03-29-2002, 02:48 AM
I never stopped reading this site through Avantgo, mostly because I was too lazy to delete any of my channels after they made all that noise about killing channels.

Lotto
03-29-2002, 03:45 AM
Same here, never got around to deleting it, and it still loads.

Maybe they have been too lazy too. :)

Ed Hansberry
03-29-2002, 04:26 AM
Maybe they found out they were loosing too much of an audience at this site. I know for a fact they "waived" the fees at other high traffic sites.

If AvantGo stuck to their guns on the pricing, they would have to close their doors tomorrow. Why they cannot see the logic of the Mazingo pricing model is beyond me. :roll:

Brad Adrian
03-29-2002, 05:00 AM
I HAD deleted the Pocket PC Thoughts channel, but just added it again and it works just fine. Mazingo's not bad, but I had really gotten used to reading it along with the other 9 Avantgo channels I've got. This is great news.

Sslixtis
03-29-2002, 05:33 AM
Ditto to the Lazy thing, and since it never stopped working I figured no reason to go and get all motivated. This is by far my favorite web site so it all works out for the greater good of the Universe that the Avantgo channel still works. :roll:

harry
03-29-2002, 10:44 AM
It never did got away... :D

innersky
03-29-2002, 11:25 AM
It only went away on my pocket pc for 1 channel (a Belgian newspaper).
All the rest is still active.

Lotak
03-29-2002, 11:42 AM
The only channel I lost was (sadly) a local news station. :(
What's kinda funny is that the PocketGamer.org lite channel I had was still syncing, they just stopped updating it... :?

apollak
03-29-2002, 01:03 PM
I read the thoughts every day on the way home from office, synced with AvantGo. I tried several times to set up Mazingo on my IPAQ, but it did not work properly. So I hope you stay on AvantGo. P.S.: The format of the reply section changed some time ago. They are difficult to read on the small screen. Go on with the very best ppc site. Andreas. :)

EllenBeeman
03-29-2002, 03:47 PM
They are restricting some channels. Trying to re-add the Jerusalem Post at www.jpost.com/palmpost, for example, gets me that "Too many subscribers" message.

Maybe they're only restricting sites they think might actually give them money? Not like that'll necessarily work, Jpost (just to use it as an example) has a whole page dedicated to Avantgo alternatives now.

Plus, us clever hacker types can always find a way around these sort of restrictions...! <wicked grin>

---Ell

wm5051
03-29-2002, 05:52 PM
Check out www.palminfocenter.com for a full article on this.

PPCRules
03-29-2002, 06:02 PM
I lost one channel out of about 25, where I got the promised message "email the site owners and tell them to pay up". I just figured "thoughts" must have a bigger budget than I expected and they had paid them already.
I download the channel on both AvantGo and Mazingo, and read it whichever place the other stuff I want to read is. Handy to have it both places.

Jason Dunn
03-29-2002, 06:10 PM
I just figured "thoughts" must have a bigger budget than I expected and they had paid them already.

Hahaha hahaha hahahahahaha hahahahahaha hahahahahaha hahahahahaha hahahahahaha hahahahahaha hahahahahaha hahahahahaha hahahahahaha hahahahahaha hahahahahaha hahahahahaha hahahahahaha hahahahahaha hahahahahaha hahahahahaha hahahahahaha hahahahahaha hahahahahaha hahahahahaha hahahahahaha hahahahahaha hahahahahaha hahaha.

Ha. :lol:

PPCRules
03-29-2002, 06:31 PM
Hahaha hahaha hahahahahaha hahahahahaha hahahahahaha hahahahahaha hahahahahaha hahahahahaha hahahahahaha hahahahahaha hahahahahaha hahahahahaha hahahahahaha hahahahahaha hahahahahaha hahahahahaha hahahahahaha hahahahahaha hahahahahaha hahahahahaha hahahahahaha hahahahahaha hahahahahaha hahahahahaha hahahahahaha hahaha.

Ha. :lol:

I'm glad I gave you a good laugh. (You may stop now, if you can.)

Lotto
03-29-2002, 08:14 PM
Good thing you moved Jason, they may be sending you bills as we speak. ;)

cbolvin
03-29-2002, 11:55 PM
I still have Thoughts, but PDAGeek went away.

helloboys
03-30-2002, 09:23 AM
Here's the official word from AG: http://avantgo.com/support/channel_support.html

I'm very happy. AvantGo is a great service.