View Full Version : Yahoo Mobile Pocket PC Games Site

Jason Dunn
03-28-2002, 05:16 PM
<a href="http://mobile.yahoo.com/wireless/downloads?.mcb=&type=pocketpc">http://mobile.yahoo.com/wireless/downloads?.mcb=&type=pocketpc</a><br /><br />Well would you look at this! <a href="http://cebooks.blogspot.com/">Jerry Justianto</a> passed me this URL, and I have to admit I'm surprised. According to this Yahoo directory, they have 6281 applications listed for the Pocket PC! I'm always a little suspicious of directories like this - it's hard to know if there are any duplications - but I spent a few minutes going through some of the larger categories, and I couldn't see anything fishy. I did spot a screenshot for one Palm app, but the description says "PDAs" so perhaps they have a version for the Pocket PC as well.<br /><br />6281 applications - not bad at all. The next time a Palm user tells you there are "no applications" for the Pocket PC, politely write that number on a piece of paper and hand it to them. To anyone who has ever developed an application for the Pocket PC, you have my most sincere thanks for helping make this platform a success.

Chubbergott
03-28-2002, 05:24 PM
That post was really interesting and informative.... until the second paragraph when you had to go and grind your axe again.

Jason Dunn
03-28-2002, 05:38 PM
That post was really interesting and informative.... until the second paragraph when you had to go and grind your axe again.

One of the points Pocket PC users have always had to concede to Palm users is that they're "aren't lots of apps" for the Pocket PC. Palm has consistently used their "we have 10,000 applications" line in every major speech in the past two years. I'd say the playing field is almost the same now, so users can make decisions based on factors OTHER than the availability of 3rd party software.

Notice I didn't say you should ram the wad of paper down their throat - that would be rude. :wink:

kennyg
03-28-2002, 05:41 PM
Yahoo hasn't actually done anything here. They are a Handango partner as you can see from the sales links. They mearly have a different view into Handango's site.

Chubbergott
03-28-2002, 05:47 PM
One of the points Pocket PC users have always had to concede to Palm users is that they're "aren't lots of apps" for the Pocket PC. Palm has consistently used their "we have 10,000 applications" line in every major speech in the past two years. I'd say the playing field is almost the same now, so users can make decisions based on factors OTHER than the availability of 3rd party software.

:D I gotta be honest, of all the things that have been said about the PocketPC, I never have thought of lack of software as a problem. When I had my E115, I always managed to find just the ticket for what I wanted to do at the time.

Maybe you know some very argumentative Palm owners (unlike me, of course, for the only difference between me and an argumentative Palm owner is that I don't own a Palm)

Jason Dunn
03-28-2002, 05:53 PM
Yahoo hasn't actually done anything here. They are a Handango partner as you can see from the sales links. They mearly have a different view into Handango's site.

They've made a nice portal that's MUCH easier to navigate than Handango - I can't find a similar breakdown on Handango that's so easy to interpret.

ctitanic
03-28-2002, 06:53 PM

Yeah, I never posted my software in there and I found it. And that's the answer. They are using Handango's database.

PPCRules
03-28-2002, 09:29 PM
6800+ apps already made for you is nice. Being able to develop your own app, just as you need them to be, as quickly and easily as you can with the FREE eVB package is quite another thing.
There is NO tool for the Palm platform that makes it as easy to develop any kind of app as eVB does for PPC, and any that come close are clunky and expensive.