View Full Version : My, What Big Thumbs You Have...

Brad Adrian
03-25-2002, 06:03 PM
<a href="http://www.guardian.co.uk/Archive/Article/0,4273,4380633,00.html">http://www.guardian.co.uk/Archive/Article/0,4273,4380633,00.html</a><br /><br />This is an interesting, if not amusing, article about a research study focusing on how our use of modern technologies may be impacting our physical appearance and habits. <br /><br />"The study, carried out in nine cities around the world, shows that the thumbs of the younger generation have overtaken their fingers as the hand's most muscled and dexterous digit. <br /><br />The change affects those who have grown up with hand-held devices capable of text messaging, emailing and accessing internet services. Experts claim it proves technology is causing physical alterations that previously happened over generations."<br /><br />While the article incorrectly states that that the use of thumb-controlled devices is causing a process of "mutation," it describes how the use of such devices at an early age can impact a person's degree of ambidextrosity and the dominance of using one digit over another. For example, evidence suggests that people who have used thumb-controlled devices like gamepads and SMS handsets extensively often also use their thumbs to do things that most people would use an index finger for, like point or ring doorbells. Anybody who has observed how quickly a 4 year old child can become proficient with an X-Box controller would have to agree.<br /><br />So, are we as humans rapidly changing physically as a direct result of the devices we use? Could be. But I wouldn't rush out and buy new gloves just yet.

juwho
03-26-2002, 10:58 PM
8) I'm 14 and have an odd thumb that is very wide. I think i know for a fact that this was caused by thumb action on video games and other devices while i grew up. I started realilzing that i had a big thumb(right hand) when i was around 10...thats pretty young. Over the years, while my thumb got wider, my thumb nail grew with it. i also know that i bit my nails too, but not ne more, that might have been a factor also.

so i just wanted to state this, i found that acrticle and never realized that other people may have this problem too...so i'm not alone ne more! :!: