View Full Version : Handmark Goes Pocket PC

Tycho Morgan
03-19-2002, 05:15 AM
<a href="http://handmark.com/products/index_ppc.html">http://handmark.com/products/index_ppc.html</a><br /><br />Thanks to Chris Coulter, we have discovered that Handmark Software is beginning to release its notable PalmOS software titles, for the Pocket PC. Currently they have MobileDB and 4.0Student available for Pocket PC with other titles coming soon. <br /><br />I think its great that foundations of the Palm developing community are porting their programs to Pocket PC, and I think it's great that there is finally a way to read MobileDB files on Pocket PC. It's been so long since I touched the Palm Mobile DB that I'm not quite sure what the desktop options are, but if that part of the software is solid, then we might have something really great.<br /><br />The also decided to release a student organizer called 4.0Student; and as a student I'd like to say something about this type of program. There are more than a few of this kind of program for PalmOS, with good reason: students have been historically more able to buy PalmOS devices than Pocket PCs. The developers went where the students were, and developed these programs for managing classes, grades, schedules, and everything else they thought students needed in their organizers. <br /><br />I thought that that this was an idea that had some serious potential, and quickly downloaded a trial. It took me less than five minutes to delete it. The program was confusing (even with the Zen of Palm), it required me to enter in my entire life history, it didn't integrate with my desktop at all, and it <i>still</i> only gave me 3-5 levels of priority. If you want my recommendation, then don't even waist your time. It is a potentially very helpful idea, but truth be told Pocket Informant's alphanumeric priority system is FAR more helpful—in my experience—than any students software you might come across. <br /><br />Ok, its safe to come out now, the rant is over now. Any thoughts?

Duncan
03-19-2002, 04:41 PM
Stuff database and student software - Monopoly is coming without having to mess around with emulators - now THAT is something I have been waiting for!

disconnected
03-19-2002, 05:57 PM
They've got Scrabble for Palm, so maybe that will be coming to PPC too?

Duncan
03-19-2002, 07:19 PM
It is - it's in the coming soon section of the PPC page...

yvilla
03-20-2002, 02:39 PM
Resco (www.resco-net.com) has "scrabble" already--its a game named Word Game and its great! I bought it immediately after trying the demo. The board can be customized to make it exactly like the real scrabble, or however you like it if you're not into authenticity.