View Full Version : Connected games, monochrome PDAs and fond memories

Andy Sjostrom
03-18-2002, 02:01 PM
<a href="http://computers.cnet.com/hardware/0-1087-8-9081112-2.html?tag=st.co.1087-8-9081112-1.arrow.1087-8-9081112-2">http://computers.cnet.com/hardware/0-1087-8-9081112-2.html?tag=st.co.1087-8-9081112-1.arrow.1087-8-9081112-2</a><br /><br />I believe games for wirelessly connected PDAs and smartphones will drive a major portion of future network traffic in carrier networks. However, I have yet to see a good game that makes use of Internet connectivity and multi-player features. I do hope Pocket PC Phone Edition and Smartphone 2002 will inspire game developers to not only go 3D and super fast but online and multi-player, as well!<br />Question: What game(s) would you like to see connected and multi-player?<br /><br />While on the subject, sort of... I came across a comment, in the linked CNET article, about SimCity running on another PDA platform: "It's as much fun as the original PC-based game, and on a monochrome PDA, it'll bring back fond memories of gaming on your old 286."<br />Quite frankly, a monochrome PDA brings back fond memories of my old 286 period!

entropy1980
03-18-2002, 03:47 PM
I think a great canidate for the type of game your talking about is Argentum (if it is ever released it was supposed to be out end of february!) Just think it'd be like Starcraft on PPC! Woohoo! However bandwidth prices better drop otherwise that will be a very very expensive propostition.

JMountford
03-18-2002, 05:05 PM
I could post my ideas but then some one will use them and not pay me and I will get screwed. :cry:

Actually I do think one good idea would be a type of tag team wrestling game. I think that could be done fairly simply.

If a developer wants to do this pleaase contact me!! I want to start developing games. I am not that great at coding but I am very good at art and concept.

Chubbergott
03-18-2002, 05:18 PM
While on the subject, sort of... I came across a comment, in the linked CNET article, about SimCity running on another PDA platform: "It's as much fun as the original PC-based game, and on a monochrome PDA, it'll bring back fond memories of gaming on your old 286."
Quite frankly, a monochrome PDA brings back fond memories of my old 286 period!

I remember the classic that was on the old Psion Series5. It was an addictive game, and it was good to see that such games were being released for a device that has pioneered the market for acceptance of PDA technology to the masses. Indeed, I have fond memories of playing these games on a device, so many years ago, when there were others waiting for the roads to be built.

It broke new ground as well in that it had a full featured development environment and office suite (with spell checker and thesaurus) while other platforms were struggling to take their first steps. A full internet experience was possible (albeit through B&W and Greyscale) with E-mail, FAX and SMS.

Fond memories indeed.... I mean, someone has to innovate don't they and I agree with Micro$oft when they say "software matters". Though it's ironic when I consider who it is that says it...

PS. It is good to see, on the page you pointed out, that good games are available for Palm devices.... at reasonable prices also! Heck, I may even buy a Palm one day.

Andy Sjostrom
03-18-2002, 06:23 PM
Psion Series5 was a nice device when it arrived. Then the Psion dev teams fell asleep. I guess Palm found the same bed room. I am glad to see Microsoft push the mobile devices market forward with modern, state-of-the-art innovation and great software-- without any signs of falling asleep.

I had first intended to comment the games on the page I linked, but I had the good taste of letting it go. :lol:
Any reasonable comment would come out as bashing, and you know me. It's not really my style...

JMountford
03-18-2002, 06:33 PM
yeah Andy you are the nice guy.

Joff
03-18-2002, 08:15 PM
Being a Quake adict, I'd like to be able to play quake on-line from my PDA. I believe this is already possible since Quake2 has been ported to the PPC. However, it is not very playable and this is probably a major issue for most PDA games right now. There is a need (and a demand I believe) for better controls and hopefully accessories like gamepads. The Ipad already has one. May be we will have to be more creative to control games in PDAs since joypads or mouses are not useable. Better control is a priority I think before we can see some serious game developments on PPC.

Cheers

nitrofly
03-18-2002, 08:56 PM
As a game developer with our first multiplayer online fighting game launched last July nearing 100k players we are now looking at porting the game to wireless.

Essentially there are 2 aspects to the game play: offline single player training mode where you improve your personalized character's fighting skills, and online arena mode where you can instant message and challenge other players in the game to a battle and wager virtual game currency on the outcome.

If you have a spare moment you can check out the game here:

http://www.sykotoy.com

Question: From my perspective I would be interested to know if our game 'Sykotoy' is the kind of game mobile players would be interested in? :?:

Andy Sjostrom
03-18-2002, 09:06 PM
nitrofly!
I believe you are right on! To have both an offline as well as an online game play is vital. I would LOVE to see your game on connected Pocket PCs. It looks awesome! Consider me a paying customer, already! 8)

nitrofly
03-19-2002, 08:01 AM
Thanks Andy :D

We're looking at different platforms and network providers to try and identify the most viable route for wireless Syko.