View Full Version : Microsoft Windows CE .NET Device Emulator

Jason Dunn
03-17-2002, 06:18 AM
<a href="http://msdn.microsoft.com/downloads/default.asp?URL=/downloads/sample.asp?url=/msdn-files/027/001/892/msdncompositedoc.xml">http://msdn.microsoft.com/downloads/default.asp?URL=/downloads/sample.asp?url=/msdn-files/027/001/892/msdncompositedoc.xml</a><br /><br />Want to see what Windows CE .NET is all about? Check out the emulator - but remember that you won't see this OS on a Pocket PC for quite a while...<br /><br />"The Microsoft® Windows® CE .NET Device Emulator is a tool that allows you to view an Emulation Project Kit. An Emulation Project Kit contains an operating system (OS) image for a Windows CE–based platform. The platform is designed to run in the Device Emulator. The Device Emulator provides a viewer that allows you to run the Windows CE .NET OS on your desktop computer without specialized hardware. The Device Emulator makes it possible to download and view a Windows CE .NET–based device without acquiring additional hardware." Source: Chris Coulter

Andy Sjostrom
03-17-2002, 09:08 AM
Just to clarify what Jason said:
Windows CE is a modular operating system. User interface is separated from underlying core modules (memory management, communication, processor management etc etc). Pocket PCs that will use Windows CE.NET, will have a different user interface than what you see in the emulator.

knoppi
03-17-2002, 10:20 AM
Jason, I think you have been on the CeBIT? Didn´t you noticed the little developer in Hall 2?

You can see there a device running WinCE.net. I am not sure if this is the real WinCe.net, but it was impressive. Very very fast, WinXP like, very nice. Completely different from PPC 2002, more like a desktop pc. I was "playing" with this device for perhaps 30 minutes, hope we will see devices running this os soon. It was much more quicker with the well known Hardware than for example the loox with a 300 MHZ processor.

The device was good at all too, I think a prototype.

Oliver

Paragon
03-17-2002, 03:22 PM
Jason, Andy or any of the rest of you that were just in Germany, do you have any idea when we will see any .net or Xscale devices on the market? Care to speculate... as best you can ...no one wants you to blow your DNAs

I assume we won't see one without the other.

Dave

knoppi
03-17-2002, 03:51 PM
Siemens says the Pocket Loox is available in June, I think this is hopefully realistic. I don´t know about the Toshiba with the Xscale, but perhaps it will be out in the same quarter.

Teddy
03-17-2002, 03:59 PM
Paragon! Cool to see you here too!!! Planning to sell your HP 568 already??? :) I'm really looking forward to the new generation of devices, especially since I don't want to buy a PPC02 just to know that a new device is out in 6 months...and I really don't see great benefits of changing my trusty EM505 for a PPC02 device...

Registered
03-17-2002, 11:07 PM
neat ! :D

Paragon
03-18-2002, 12:02 AM
Paragon! Cool to see you here too!!! Planning to sell your HP 568 already??? :) I'm really looking forward to the new generation of devices, especially since I don't want to buy a PPC02 just to know that a new device is out in 6 months...and I really don't see great benefits of changing my trusty EM505 for a PPC02 device...

Hey Teddy

I would sell my HP560 for an HP 928 in heartbeat if it was avaialable in Canada and actually worked here, other than the center of a few cities.

Dave

FredMurphy
03-18-2002, 11:48 AM
Anyone know what current devices are flashable to upgrade to CE.NET when it does come out? Anyone care to hazard a guess to which devices WILL actually be officially upgraded?

Bit of an academic question really as most of us like our toys and want the new hardware when it comes out anyway!

Fred