View Full Version : iPAQ H3600/3700 Series Driver Updates

Jason Dunn
03-16-2002, 07:45 PM
<a href="http://www.compaq.com/support/files/handheldiPAQ/us/download/13909.html">http://www.compaq.com/support/files/handheldiPAQ/us/download/13909.html</a><br /><br />Mark A. Risi let us know that there's a new ROM update for the iPAQ which has a fix we've all been waiting for: an end to popping sounds. I haven't applied the patch yet, but I'm anxious to know if this fixes it. Anyone?<br /><br />"This contains driver updates to fix the noise issue that occurs with Pocket PC 2002 on iPAQ H3600 and H3700 models with ROM version 2.14."

yoshald
03-16-2002, 08:03 PM
I ran the downloaded file and I still get the loud pops. When I ran the installer, the ipaq asked if should overwrite some dll and I answered Yes which should have been correct, right?

KnightShade
03-16-2002, 08:25 PM
I just applied it on my 3650 and it seems to be working just fine. I did notice though that after applying the patch my second to the lowest sound setting, the one that I normally use, is a lot quiter than it used to be. I had to bump it up to the next highest setting.

I ran the downloaded file and I still get the loud pops. When I ran the installer, the ipaq asked if should overwrite some dll and I answered Yes which should have been correct, right?

That's what I did. Did you do the soft reset afterwards?

Ed Hansberry
03-16-2002, 09:11 PM
I need to test this on my upgraded 3600, but I want a 3800 fix. :)

mgd
03-16-2002, 09:12 PM
I've installed the Softpaq but my 3670 still pops. It does appear that my lowest setting is lower than before, so I guess the highest setting is lower also.

LowTeK
03-16-2002, 09:29 PM
Is anybody out there in HP land reading this? Us Jornada'ers would like a speaker poping fix too. Thats is the biggest complaint that I have about my jornada I can stand to listen to MP3's when it pops between tracks. Please help us!!

Ojster
03-16-2002, 09:43 PM
Hello,

I have a dll that fixes the problem with popping sounds - I found it somewhere on the net - don't remember where, but it works for my iPAQ - you simply overwrite the dll that is otherwise located in ROM - so in case it does not work for you simply delete it and after soft-reset your old file will be in use again.

There is no option to attach files here so let me know in case you would like me to send it to you.

Best regards,
Peter
---------------------------
http://www.ojster.com

adamz
03-16-2002, 10:19 PM
Yeah it's not a ROM update either.
All it does is update the wavedev.dll file. The one that was going around the net before was a wavedev.dll file from the old PPC 2000 ROM. If you have that and try to install this, it'll give an error.
The one in this softpaq is newer than the one in the PPC2000 ROM 1.87.

DavidHorn
03-16-2002, 10:32 PM
Oh dear, my iPAQ had the "loud volume" problem and I sent it back to Compaq two weeks ago to be repaired.

I wonder what they'll do about it, since this patch wasn't available two weeks ago?

iPaqDude
03-17-2002, 02:19 AM
Just applied the patch to my H3630 - works great. No problems. I also noticed the much lower volume level.

Snickers
03-17-2002, 05:14 AM
Yeah it's not a ROM update either.
All it does is update the wavedev.dll file. The one that was going around the net before was a wavedev.dll file from the old PPC 2000 ROM. If you have that and try to install this, it'll give an error.
The one in this softpaq is newer than the one in the PPC2000 ROM 1.87.

I can't find the dll to delete I forgot where it was installed. I need to remove it so I can install this update. Can you help me with the file location. Also what is a good PPC program that will search all files on my PPC. Thanks.

Keith Layton
03-17-2002, 05:38 AM
:cry:

Well, I just installed the patch (DLL not ROM by the way) and it did fix the volume problem, but not the nasty pop that happens ALL the time. The volume was not that big of deal to me but the pops are really irritating.

Well, let's see if Compaq can fix the fix in a reasonable amount of time.

Oh, by the way... I'm running a 3630 and don't have any crazy hacks gonig on... well, except for some creative fonts.

Snickers
03-17-2002, 05:42 AM
I got it. I didn't realize that File Explorer that come with PPC 2002 did not show dll files or hidden files. Oh well I used Resco File Explorer and got it. Thanks. I will let everyone know if the update works for me in a minute

adamz
03-17-2002, 05:48 AM
I can't find the dll to delete I forgot where it was installed. I need to remove it so I can install this update. Can you help me with the file location. Also what is a good PPC program that will search all files on my PPC. Thanks.

The wavedev.dll file is in your Pocket PC's Windows directory. I just use Windows Explorer on the desktop through Activesync to access the files. It's usually quicker. You'll have to rename wavedev.dll before you can delete it since it is "in use". Then you can install the official Compaq wavedev.dll driver. There doesn't seem to be any noticable difference between the driver from PPC2000 ROM 1.87 and this offical PPC2002 version, other than the newer date on the file. It's good to have the official version though. ;)

Dave Conger
03-17-2002, 06:19 AM
Ooooo, I can't wait to see if this helps out. Sounds like there are some conflicting issues on if it does what it says or not....I sure am hoping that it will work on mine.

Since HPer's have a similar issue, I wonder if this is more a Pocket PC issue then a specific hardware problem.

helloboys
03-17-2002, 07:43 AM
Seems to have fixed the problem for me (3630), except for when I pull the iPaq out of the cradle. It still makes a dreadful clicking noise.

SteveC
03-17-2002, 12:29 PM
Fixed my 3630 too. I did a soft reset though. Also noticed much lower volume now.

ollie
03-17-2002, 02:14 PM
Tried it on my 3635, the sound is now lower, but the click is still there! Why is it that this patch seems to work on some PPCs but not others?

A bit frustrating!
:(

van_mierlo
03-18-2002, 02:39 PM
This is great it works perfect on mine 3635

puithove
03-18-2002, 04:18 PM
Before applying the "fix" I played a bunch of wav files to make sure I could duplicate the popping. I applied the fix, did the reset and played the same wav files. I immediately noticed that while my volume setting was the same, the playback was much quieter. I also noticed that the popping was still there.

Maybe they figured that if they make the volume lower you won't notice the popping so much.

mmidgley
03-18-2002, 05:52 PM
Here's my experience with audio popping on my H3650:
1.28 Popping annoyingly loud
1.77 Popping lessened to acceptible level
1.87 I never used this, but says "Adds Full Duplex Audio Support"(?)
2.14 Popping problem returned, but tolerable
2.14 w/SP20430 Volume reduced, but popping same?

I can't detect the popping being any less with this update installed. I guess I haven't been using mp3 playback much since the 2002 update because before installing the new wavedev.dll I checked the loudest volume level and it was killer on my ears with headphones. After the update I can tell the volume level is reduced, but is still very loud to me.

m.

Keith Layton
03-20-2002, 04:04 AM
I was still getting the audible click (more like a bang) after a notification even after the softpatch. I sent a comment to Compaq about this and have included their response below...

Dear Keith,

the softpaq fixes the original issue with the amp, not the issue with the audio CODEC reading the copy protection field in the wav file. This noise is caused when the Pocket PC 2002 audio driver attempts to read copyright information that is embedded into the .WAV file. If a non-Microsoft .WAV file is played after an event, the noise will not be heard because the file will not contain the copyright information.

Thank you,

Patricia S.
Compaq eServices

Personally, I'm not sure that this is an adequate answer. I'm going to play with it and see if what they say is true, but even if it is, it is REALLY irritating and there should be some way to fix it.