View Full Version : Windows Media Player for Pocket PC 2002 Update

Jason Dunn
03-06-2002, 06:50 PM
<a href="http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/software/pocket/playerupdate.asp">http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/software/pocket/playerupdate.asp</a><br /><br />Gregory Scher emailed us the link about this new update for Windows Media Player 8.0.<br /><br />"This update for Windows Media Player that comes pre-installed on new Pocket PCs running Pocket PC 2002 provides some minor updates and fixes for the Player. You must have Windows Media Player for Pocket PC 2002 already installed on your device before you can install this upgrade."<br /><br />So now for the questions: the install takes up 1.3 megs, and it goes into RAM. It's not an XIP update that patches the space already being used in ROM. What gives? XIP updates are an awesome way to keep the Pocket PC up to date and not chew up our system RAM. I'm trying to find out what's new, because nothing really obvious jumps out.<br /><br />The build on my iPAQ 3875 is 0096, and after updating my Jornada it's at build 0103. I've looked at most of the screens and everything looks the same. Anyone see anything new?

DualShock
03-06-2002, 07:16 PM
Anyone see anything new?

I've been wondering the same thing.... one thing i noticed was that songs loaded a tad faster, but that's about it.

JonathanWardRogers
03-06-2002, 07:23 PM
:?: Does it play wma/wmv 8 files?

adamz
03-06-2002, 07:32 PM
Does it freeze up when loading large playlist files off a CF card?

van_mierlo
03-06-2002, 07:36 PM
Is it also ok to update the version on the upgraded iPAQ's with this file?
It is just not clear to me
They just give a warning that you should have a valid copy of the media player from Compaq, because this is just an update and not the whole player

tccox
03-06-2002, 07:42 PM
>Is it also ok to update the version on the upgraded iPAQ's with this file?
>It is just not clear to me
>They just give a warning that

I believe Microsoft addresses that issue at www.pocketpc.com

"Note for Compaq iPAQ Users
Users with a Compaq iPAQ Pocket PC who have upgraded their device to Pocket PC 2002 and the Windows Media Player was not included in that upgrade ROM image should install the Windows Media Player from the upgrade CD supplied by Compaq. More information is available at Compaq’s website"

However until anyone actually identifies ANY benifit from the update, I would'nt bother

Hooch
03-06-2002, 08:51 PM
Hey, I noticed that the file name is identical to the download for embedding WMP in PIE (wmnall.exe). Are they the same patches? Their respective websites indicate a small difference in the file sizes.

dma1965
03-07-2002, 12:13 AM
The only change which I found right away was the fact that it will now stream from the WindowsMedia.com site, and I could never make this work before.

Don't Panic!
03-07-2002, 12:42 AM
WMV files play smoother from my CF card now, no pauses during TLC's "Scrubs" video. Still getting pauses when I use a PC Card harddrive though.

Don't Panic!
Bobby

JonathanWardRogers
03-07-2002, 01:02 AM
I've streamed content from the WindowsMedia.com site before, so that must not be a new addition.

JMountford
03-07-2002, 03:51 AM
I sat here and examined Media Player before I installed the update. I should have took screen shots. Here is what I noticed. Every thing looks exactly the same, menus, options, everything. I did notice my media files are starting up quicker and not skipping and jumping so much. Other wise no change other than the build. I wonder if MS added some kind of DRM protocols. Maybe they added a "back door". 8)

dma1965
03-07-2002, 04:08 AM
I have an MMC card that always pauses when playing mp3 or wmv content. Since installing the update, it stopped doing it. I am not sure what they did, but it seems to have solved this major pain in the butt.

Don't Panic!
03-07-2002, 09:22 AM
The "Scrubs" video also plays smoothly from a 1GB IBM Microdrive. Even the Dave Matthews Band Video from Mazingo plays smoothly from the microdrive. I'm still testing (http://www.pocketpcpassion.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=9941) though.

Don't Panic!
Bobby

Peseta
03-08-2002, 02:39 AM
A 320x240 15fps movie ran horribly before the update on my E-200.
Now only a few pauses.
Surely a major improvement to view fullscreen video in an acceptable way [I think more important than any extra button or option].

Shame though that it uses up RAM by not being a XIP update [M$ goes in mysterious ways, not using the available new technology]

darvmao
03-11-2002, 06:39 PM
does anyone here know what happens if you DONT HAVE ppc2002 preinstalled on your pda (ie upgraded a ipaq 3630 to ppc2002 via COMPAQ CD), but have still gone ahead to install the Windows Media Player 8 update?

That's what happened to me. Realised my mistake too late and tried to uninstall the update. could do so successfully but now my original windows Media Player 8 (which i had previously installed together with the ppc2002 upgrade) does not work anymore.

ppc2002 used to report that the player.exe file is not found, or some of its component is missing.

heres what i have tried and still the Windows Media Player DOESNT work:

1. Uninstalled both the WMP8 Update and the WMP8
2. Did a hard reset of the ipaq followed by WMP8 install from Compaq CD
3. Did a ROM downgrade to 177 then upgraded it back to 21403

Does anyone have any clue what could be wrong?

Problem with the ROM? Problem with the registry?

Appreciate any help i can get. thks :oops:

FredMurphy
03-12-2002, 12:39 PM
:( This update still refuses to play some MP3s that work fine with PocketPlayer and my desktop PC. WMP just decides to skip to the next track when it gets to the point in the track it doesn't like. As it appears to be able to play fine AFTER the point at which it has problems you'd think it could just ignore whatever it's found.

This was the only update I was hoping for. IMHO not worth the space in RAM - I'll probably uninstall it.