View Full Version : On my start menu 2

marlof
03-06-2002, 05:02 PM
Andy's post reminded me of something we did around August: what are the favorite applications of the people at Thoughts. My favorite items on the Start Menu (in order of importance to me):<br /><br />• <a href="http://www.iliumsoft.com/wallet.htm">eWallet</a> - even when my Jornada came with Codewallet Pro, I deinstalled that one and installed eWallet in stead. I've been using eWallet since my Velo days, so I think it's too late for me to change sides now<br />• <a href="http://www.pocketinformant.com">Pocket Informant</a> - after a short affair with Agenda Fusion because I wanted to try something new, yesterday I went back to Pocket Informant 3. I'm very happy with the new interface, and have spent some time fiddling with all the new settings. A great program!<br />• <a href="http://www.nakka.com/soft/npop/index_eng.html">nPop</a> - As I'm still not very satisfied with the Inbox in Pocket PC 2002 ( they do have SMTP-AUTH, but they don't allow you to specify the username and password, so having one SMTP server for all your accounts is hard to setup...), I went back to nPop a while ago. It's small, it checks all accounts in one pass, and is an excellent POP3 server management tool. Big downside: no link to the Contacts database.<br />• <a href="http://www.bitbanksoftware.com/ce/pocketview.htm">Pocket Quickview</a> - The fastest image viewer I've found, and it also plays the movies my little Ixus 300 generates. Cool!<br />• <a href="http://www.iastyle.com/iapm/index.asp">IA Phone Manager</a> - Handling my phonebook and SMS is done by this application. I like the interface, and since my Pocket PC and mobile phone have become inseperable, an application like this is a must have for me.<br />• <a href="http://www.palmtop.nl/ce/citymaps.html">TomTom Citymaps</a> - Finding your way in a city you don't know was never easier. Even the less than one year old street I live in showed up on the map! And it supports GPS devices too....<br />• <a href="http://www.peanutpress.com">Palm Reader</a> - The best ebook reader for the Pocket PC is made by Palm... sigh.<br />• <a href="http://www.ddhsoftware.com/handbase.html">HanDBase</a> - I carry with me a few databases to keep track of my DVD and CD collections as sometimes I just can't remember if I have something or not. It's a database even I can use.<br /><br />Next to those there are others, but I've tried a little experiment last time I had to install a new Pocket PC. I just added the programs at the time I felt I needed them. Those mentioned above were installed within two days. Then there was a big hiatus, and only later I've added additional programs. So I guess these are my favorite third party applications.

whoopus
03-06-2002, 07:02 PM
I have way too many favorites, all of which are installed in the iPaq Filestore (except for PocketTV, for some reason it gives errors). I decided to break my favorites into "Can't Survive Without", "Nice to Have", and "Just Plain Cool". Here goes:

Can't Survive Without:
Dashboard
JS Landscape 3.0 (When it comes out)
JS Overclock
StarCar (Needs alittle more work, but gets the job done)
MediaPlayer 8.0 (although I wish there was a better free product or a bug-free MedialPlayer 8.0)

Nice to Have:
FtpView
MSN Messenger (I wish it would automatically log in like the desktop version of MSN Messenger though.)
All of Philippe Majerus's great apps (Registry Editor, Data Sources, Device Manager, Task Manager, Net Use)
PocketTV (Can you get any better than that?)
JS Landscape 2.0
PQView (Can you get any better than that?)
WinVNC (Great for when I am on the road and need something off of my Office PC)
Orinoco Wireless Client

Just Plain Cool (Can your palm do that?):
Livescope (really cool!)
Microsoft Portrait...If I could figure out how to get it to work with MSN Messenger
Pocket Streets with GPS (Please someone come out with a Killer app combo for PC AND PocketPC!) Right now I use MapPoint 2002 on my laptop, so it is pocket streets for me.
MiniStumbler

What's Next:
Laridian PocketBible (I just can't afford $39.99 for a single piece of software right now)

Believe it or not all of this is installed on an ancient H3630 ipaq with the hard to find 32MB ROM. Thanks to the file store I have all of this installed and I am only using 3MB of Storage Memory and 3MB of Program Memory when I do a soft reset.

Mark

tccox
03-06-2002, 07:37 PM
Thanks for the tip about about NPOP. I'll give it a try. One question Pocket Outlook only sends messages in "Styled Text" format no plain test option , causing my messages to my favorite news digest to get kicked back. Does NPOP send in "Styled Text" or "Plain Text Format ????

Thanks

JohnnyFlash
03-06-2002, 07:45 PM
• Palm Reader (http://www.peanutpress.com) - The best ebook reader for the Pocket PC is made by Palm... sigh.

I don't agree. Does Palm Reader has lookup function like Microsoft Reader? I was using Palm Reader in past and I find Microsoft Reader better and nicier...

toml
03-06-2002, 07:56 PM
Favorites that I use all the time on my E200:

Gigabar (not really on the start menu)
MS Money 2002 for Pocket PC
Two Peaks Software Personal Vehicle Manager (keeps track of gas mileage and maintenance records, and lots more)
AudiblePlayer (love this app! I'm dyslexic and read too slow, I can read books again now. Plus it can read them to me while I'm driving.)
MS Pocket Streets
ListMan (not the best, but it's free and good enough for grocery lists and such)
Today's Info (actually on the Today screen)

Perry Reed
03-06-2002, 11:08 PM
This brings to mind a question I've had. Which is better: eWallet or Codewallet Pro?

Anyone know of a good comparison of the two?

djl
03-06-2002, 11:28 PM
In addition to eWallet, HanDBase and, for me, Agenda Fusion, there is:

HPC Notes (indespensable for keeping track of lots of notes and pieces of information) :D

Resco File Explorer (much better file explorer)

Resco Picture Perfect (one of many good image viewing programs out there)

ListPro (another indespensable program; in fact, it has replaced Tasks in Outlook 2002/Pocket Outlook :D

Philippe Majerus' PHM Registry Editor

Acrobat Reader (on storage card; it's a memory hog)

Pocket TV (memory card)

Tiny Tech Pocket Diet Tracker and MySportTraining (trying out both)

While these are core programs, I do enjoy trying out new software. It seems to me that PPC software is getting better and better.

Regards.

DJL

mscottsimon
03-07-2002, 01:55 AM
This brings to mind a question I've had. Which is better: eWallet or Codewallet Pro?

I can't really give you a feature-to-feature comparison, but I started with CodeWallet Pro because it came "bundled" with my Jornada. I entered several records when I found myself frustrated by the speed and responsiveness of Codewallet. I saw eWallet and thought I'd give it a try. Wow. It's night and day different in responsiveness between the two.

So, while this doesn't give you a feature comparison, I personally wouldn't care what features Codewallet gave me -- the speed difference is just too great.

Just my $.02.

.scott

topps
03-07-2002, 03:33 AM
Pocket Informant - especially now with v3

PE Explorer - very versatile file manager. Does Find and network connections. Better than Resco I think.

RemindMe - launched with button 5 (instead of speaking to Notes/Recorder). Quick and easy to use. Great in the car.

Landscape mode - I wish that we could have the Jimmy screen mapping algorithms (which are clearer) with the flexibility of Nyditot...hopefully JL Landscape 3 will be it...will be awesome if they have gotten around the reboot problem.

PocketTV - use it for short teaching videos.

InkSpot for news

HanDBase - great to share records with Palm users

Peacemaker Pro - speaking of speaking to Palms

AvantGo - haven't tried Mazingo yet.

Virtual Ce - for big screen demos of small screen activity. Great for workshops.

Pebbles SlideCommander - brilliant wireless remote control for PowerPoint

...but without a doubt, the most indispensable of all...Fitaly - so much better for rapid text entry than anything else out there...and we've tested them all for ergonomics and data entry speeds.

dt

www.pocketprof.org

John Hieber
03-07-2002, 05:29 AM
Cash Organizer is outstanding for personal cash management. It makes MS Money seem like a waste of time. It is very robust. I no longer even use Quicken on my desktop.

Also, Dexplore file management has an excellent display method and is full featured.

eWallet is very effective.

Listpro is great for simple list or even for multiple to-do lists.

Tennis addict is, well, addicting.

Stop Time works great as an alarm clock or stop watch.

I am very enthusiastic about these programs.

Rirath
03-07-2002, 03:09 PM
Jornada 525 favorites:

Quicklaunch - sure beats the HP launcher program
Microsoft Money - To track all the cash I don't have
AvantGo
Pocket Excel
Pocket Word
Pocket Streets - Sure beats getting lost with no map.
DEXplor - Great for shortcuts and file management
JWPce - Best Japanese program in existense

Hooch
03-07-2002, 05:15 PM
The one app I'd really pay for is a contrast control for the ipaq 38xx. I love my ipaq, but the screen contrast is set way too dark. Turning up the brightness doesn't seem to help much.

thenikjones
03-07-2002, 05:59 PM
• Palm Reader - The best ebook reader for the Pocket PC is made by Palm... sigh.

I don't agree. Does Palm Reader has lookup function like Microsoft Reader? I was using Palm Reader in past and I find Microsoft Reader better and nicier...

The content for Palm Reader is MUCH better; the Agile Manager series is one I thoroughly reccommend I also find it a LOT faster than Reader, a major issue on a Jornada 545. Plam reader also seems easier for jumping to different chapters.

Doug Raeburn
03-07-2002, 07:46 PM

I can't really give you a feature-to-feature comparison, but I started with CodeWallet Pro because it came "bundled" with my Jornada. I entered several records when I found myself frustrated by the speed and responsiveness of Codewallet. I saw eWallet and thought I'd give it a try. Wow. It's night and day different in responsiveness between the two.

So, while this doesn't give you a feature comparison, I personally wouldn't care what features Codewallet gave me -- the speed difference is just too great.

Just my $.02.

.scott

The reason for the poor speed performance of CodeWallet as bundled with the Jornada is that HP insisted that it be installed in the Safe Store instead of in RAM. The much slower access to the Safe Store resulted in significantly poorer performance in that configuration than CodeWallet is actually capable of.

I own both eWallet and CodeWallet and I find the performance between the two (if CodeWallet is installed normally) is indistinguishable. The product that I actually use is CodeWallet... I feel that its security features are superior to eWallet.

Perry Reed
03-07-2002, 08:03 PM

I own both eWallet and CodeWallet and I find the performance between the two (if CodeWallet is installed normally) is indistinguishable. The product that I actually use is CodeWallet... I feel that its security features are superior to eWallet.

Thanks for the input. I actually just discovered a third option-- Virtual Wallet from Applian.

Maybe at some point I'll clear out some memory space on my iPaq and give all three a try and decide for myself which works best.

griph
04-25-2002, 01:35 AM
Cash Organizer is outstanding for personal cash management. It makes MS Money seem like a waste of time. It is very robust. I no longer even use Quicken on my desktop.

I have to agree regarding Cash Organiser. The latest Beta v4.3 with full graphic reporting is excellent - MS Money PPC version is a waste of time and the PC version is just too cumbersome IMHO. Cash Organiser is simple to set up and use, with many categories already set up and autocomplete for recurring transaction names makes rapid entry a breeze. Standing Order/Direct Debits (repeating tranactions) included. Have a look at www.inesoft.com