View Full Version : PHP Guru Sought

Jason Dunn
03-04-2002, 10:01 PM
The Pocket PC Thoughts team has a lot of great ideas on how we can improve this site and make it better for you, but we're a little short on custom PHP & HTML skills. I used to be good enough with HTML to call myself a "Webmaster", but web coding today is more like development work, which I don't have any skill at.<br /><br />If you're a PHP programmer with some time you'd like to donate to the site, please email me ([email protected]). It won't make you rich, but glory lasts forever, right? :-)

wiredguy
03-04-2002, 10:20 PM
Try the link below :)
- http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0672317842

Jason Dunn
03-04-2002, 10:39 PM
Gee, thanks Richard. :roll:

entropy1980
03-04-2002, 10:43 PM
aaahhh don't let a lil' reading spook ya! :D

Master O'Mayhem
03-04-2002, 10:53 PM
Thats what i tell my users RTFM!!! hehe i would help but this is way beyond me

wiredguy
03-04-2002, 10:57 PM
Gee, thanks Richard. :roll:

Ha ha, not a fan of the book, eh? I probably wouldn't buy a PHP book either. I like Flash, Dreamweaver, and Photoshop books, but for some reason I don't believe that I'll be able to "master" PHP no matter what I read. Serious programming scares me :). It was hard enough to learn ActionScript.

If only they would put these tech books out in eBook format :). That would be cool.

Jason Dunn
03-04-2002, 11:38 PM
Ha ha, not a fan of the book, eh?

I'm not a fan of programming, period. I learned a long time ago that you have time to become really good at only a few things in life, and programming isn't on my list. :-)

4AMFriday
03-04-2002, 11:54 PM
While I do not have any experience in coding PHP, I pretty much code VB Script ASP pages 5 days a week at work. Unfortunate you're not looking for ASP pages :( . I'm sure I could have really helped you out there.

spg
03-05-2002, 12:13 AM
While I do not have any experience in coding PHP, I pretty much code VB Script ASP pages 5 days a week at work. Unfortunate you're not looking for ASP pages :( . I'm sure I could have really helped you out there.

Same here, I wouldn't call myself an ASP expert but I sure know alot more about that then PHP. Wish I could help you out Jason!

Rob Borek
03-05-2002, 01:37 AM
I dabble in PHP a little bit (I can customize stuff, not sure about writing custom PHP programs from scratch). It really isn't that hard as long as you know your way around a database :). I wouldn't consider myself an expert coder (or maybe even a mid-level coder) in PHP. I definitely know my way around Linux inside and out though (since that's a large part of my day job).

Tycho Morgan
03-05-2002, 01:41 AM
I'm a CSS, XHTML, and SSI guy myself, and I haven't (yet) had a need to get into PHP stuff.

That's not to say that with a good week and a half, a good web resource, the desire to setup a server on this box so I can fool around with, and enough demo scripts to pull a part and play with, I couldn't figure it out; but I'm busy enough as it is.

Cheers,

Dave Conger
03-05-2002, 03:32 AM
(I can customize stuff, not sure about writing custom PHP programs from scratch).

I am the same way with PHP. I know Perl so PHP isn't really that much of a strech. It really is true once you learn on language, it isn't that hard to learn or at least use the others. The great thing about PHP (like Java) is the huge documentation base (www.php.net). That really makes customization a snap even without the knowledge. For me it is the XML stuff that is taking me a while to grasp on to.

Sorry Jason, know this talk of learning code doesn't help if you don't really like programming, but for us that do languages like PHP are wonderful. Just keep up the content and the thoughts and we will be happy! Leave the "nerd stuff" to the "nerds" (I say that in the nicest way possible...me being a "nerd" and all :wink: )

Shapeshifter
03-05-2002, 01:01 PM
chris is a php-freak, isnt he?

Jason Dunn
03-05-2002, 04:44 PM
chris is a php-freak, isnt he?

Chris who? :)

JoeThielen
03-05-2002, 04:44 PM
I am the same way with PHP. I know Perl so PHP isn't really that much of a strech. It really is true once you learn on language, it isn't that hard to learn or at least use the others. The great thing about PHP (like Java) is the huge documentation base (www.php.net). That really makes customization a snap even without the knowledge. For me it is the XML stuff that is taking me a while to grasp on to.

Sorry Jason, know this talk of learning code doesn't help if you don't really like programming, but for us that do languages like PHP are wonderful. Just keep up the content and the thoughts and we will be happy! Leave the "nerd stuff" to the "nerds" (I say that in the nicest way possible...me being a "nerd" and all :wink: )

Hey, I've found that PHP and XML is hard with the EXPAT method (just my personal opinion). However, if you compile PHP with the DOM XML method, it is MUCH EASIER (again, in my personal opinion). I knew LITTLE about XML when I first started a few weeks ago, and now I can get it to do what I need it to do! I'm able to parse XML docs (one level and some simple nesting). I think PocketPCThoughts here would be excellent with an XML export file!!!

In any case, the following is an excellent overview of getting the DOM XML functions in PHP:

http://www.phpbuilder.com/columns/matt20001228.php3

(BTW, http://www.phpbuilder.com is a GREAT PHP site).

My 2 cents :). Off-topic yes. Helpful? I hope so!