View Full Version : Pharos Debuts Canadian Maps

Jason Dunn
03-01-2002, 03:59 AM
<a href="http://www.businesswire.com/cgi-bin/f_headline.cgi?bw.022002/220510303">http://www.businesswire.com/cgi-bin/f_headline.cgi?bw.022002/220510303</a><br /><br />Hooray! After over a year of me bugging the heck out of them, Pharos is finally releasing maps for Canada. I do find it a little bit odd that their description seems to exclude normal people who live in Canada and want GPS vs. people who live in either side of the border. I hope a few of us prove them wrong!<br /><br />"Pharos Science and Applications Inc., the leader in simple and affordable GPS solutions for Pocket PC and PDAs, today announced the addition of Canadian maps for its award winning Ostia navigation and routing software at Internet World Wireless 2002/Pocket PC New York. This allows Canadian users to experience the most popular and complete GPS navigation and routing solution for Pocket PC-based PDAs and current United States users to receive full driving directions and navigation while visiting Canada.<br /><br />"We've been extremely pleased with the success of our Pocket GPS Navigator in the United States, and adding complete maps of Canada was a logical next step," said Jeff Curtis, executive vice president of Pharos. "Many people who live on the border between the United States and Canada frequently travel between the two countries, and with our solution, they can get wherever they need to go, no matter what country is their point of origin or destination." Source: Chris Coulter

wiredguy
03-01-2002, 06:09 AM
I had a Pharos GPS, until it was stolen from my car on Sept 11, 2001. Of course, it didn't compare in any way to the tradgedy of WTC. :(

spg
03-01-2002, 03:20 PM
Good for Pharos, they should have done it even if you were the only one in all Canada who would use it Jason :wink:. Ok so that wouldn't be very good business practice, but hey it got them a post on this site didn't it? :D I'm glad they are finally moving north, although like you say it is odd that they seem to stress US users visiting Canada more then Canadians. Maybe they are just trying to stir up more interest for their product no matter where you live.