View Full Version : HP Extended Battery with MMC

ledowning
02-27-2002, 12:33 AM
8O Just received my new extended battery with MMC for the Jornada 568. Installed driver, then reset the device, installed new battery, then a 64 MB Lexar MMC card. Once installed, file explorer ask to format the card and then brings up an error code 31 when done. The MMC card doesn't format it seems.

Any one have any ideas on what error code 31 is? Or how to format the MMC card?

Thanks

[email protected]

JayLagorio
04-30-2002, 02:02 PM
Says Microsoft:

Error Code 31: "A device attached to the system is not functioning." (ERROR_GEN_FAILURE)

So it could be anything. I don't have an MMC battery or anything so I can't help you with fixing it, but I've read that sometimes a Hard-Reset works. Before that, though, you might also try using an SD card of the same size and brand.

ledowning
05-01-2002, 02:17 AM
Thanks for the response, Jay. I have since talked to HP Canada support and they suggested the same thing. I have tried SD cards and the new PC card adaptor for the Jornada and the results are the same. HP Canada suggested that it is a probably a hardware problem with my particular unit. Since I am under warranty, they are going to replace the unit within the next week or so.

I will see if they can test the new units' compatibility with the PC card adaptor, etc. prior to shipment.

:lol:

Sven Johannsen
05-20-2002, 12:34 AM
BTW, the MMC battery is not an extended battery (except physically, in that it sticks out). It has the same capacity as the standard battery. There are two batteries that do have extended capacity, the Extended Battery (no MMC), and the battery that comes with the PC card Adapter. The latter two batteries are different and not interchangeable.

Sslixtis
07-08-2002, 07:02 AM
There is also an Extended Battery w/MMC now. :wink: It has the same capacity as the Extended Battery and has an MMC slot. It runs about $30.00 more than the standard Battery w/MMC and looks almost exactly like the regular Extended Battery. However, it is not available in the US yet (UK only, so far) but you can pre-order it at Expansys.com :D

Sven Johannsen
07-10-2002, 04:42 PM
There is also an Extended Battery w/MMC now. :wink:

Anybody got one? I'm not as excited as I might be. Here's why. The Expansys site has a picture that looks just like the extended battery that came with my PCCard adapter. (I'm told the extended battery looks the same but doesn't have the right connector for the sled). The text on Expansys says "up to 14 hours".

If you go to HP and look up any of the 560's you will see in the specs, 'up to 14 hours.' I would suppose that means with the standard battery. If you go to HPShopping and look a standard battery (replacement), it says up to 14 hours.

If you go to HPShopping and look up the Extended battery you find a picture of the regular MMC Battery (at least that is what mine is called) and the statements "approximately double the battery life" and "works up to 14 hours"

HPShopping doesn't sell the MMC Battery, and the HP site doesn't provide any specs for it.

The PC Card adapter, which comes with an 'extended battery' also lists "twice the battery capacity of the HP Jornada main battery", "provides 14 hours of use."

All the specs have the caveat "useage hours are highly dependent on individual useage patterns", etc. yada yada.

Interestingly, Mobile Planet says the 'extended battery' lasts 28 hours, but the 'extended battery' that comes with the PC Sled lasts 14, as does the MMC battery, and the standard replacement. The picture of the MMC/Battery is actually of the Extended Battery (looks the same as the Expansys picture).

So based on all the conflicting text and incorrect pictures. I'd be real intersted on what you actually get when you buy one of these. I bet you get the customary MMC Battery with the MMC at the top, which is a regular life battery, but you can find text that says 14 hours is both regular and extended :?:

jkovacs
09-06-2002, 04:54 PM
Ok... forgive my ignorance here, but can you use an SD card in the MMC battery. I'm not very knowledgeable about the SD/MMC formats, but I was told that you could not by a source I'm starting to question.

Thanks,
...Joe K.

kiwi
09-16-2002, 07:22 PM
Ok... forgive my ignorance here, but can you use an SD card in the MMC battery. I'm not very knowledgeable about the SD/MMC formats, but I was told that you could not by a source I'm starting to question.

Thanks,
...Joe K.

I'd like to know this as well.. as far as I can guess, its only MMC?

Rod3
09-16-2002, 11:08 PM
Yes, you can use a SD card in the mmc battery; HP says the "secure digital features" (whatever they are) are not supported, but many people have used the SD card successfully. I see no difference with mine. BTW, the extended battery that comes with the PC card adapter DOES last twice as long as both the regular battery and the mmc card battery. That's my personal experience.