View Full Version : Wishful thinking!

Andy Sjostrom
02-25-2002, 11:14 AM
The combined strength of the current Pocket PC companies, including Compaq, Hewlett Packard, Casio, NEC, Symbol, Toshiba, etc is awesome. They have proved from product, marketing and sales perspectives that the Pocket PC platform is in good hands. The Smartphone 2002 is also off to a good start with Texas Instruments, Samsung, Sendo, Compal and HTC. Needless to say, we need more Smartphone 2002 manufacturers, but the race is long. I am not worried.<br /><br />But just for the fun of it... What's ahead? May I induldge myself in some wishful thinking, perhaps? Let's make up some headlines! <b>Note:</b> these are just my own fantasies! Wouldn't it be cool to see some of your own headlines!?!<br /><br /><b>FAKE 1: Handspring announces new Pocket PC</b> - We knew Handspring execs hadn't ruled out making non-Palm OS devices, but this innovative and brand new device took us all by surprise! The new Handspring Pocket PC product line features XScale-processors, various types of phone integration, and the best battery life we've seen in any Pocket PC, so far!<br /><br /><b>FAKE 2: Sony's two-step to establish stronger grip</b> - Sony announced yesterday a new Clie product line, that will utilize the Pocket PC operating system from Microsoft. Mobile execs at Sony also confirmed the rumors that the company will work within the Sony Ericsson partnership to put a Sony Ericsson Smartphone 2002 on the market in Q3 2002.<br /><br /><b>FAKE 3: Symbian, Microsoft combine and compete</b> - In a surprising deal that was communicated yesterday Symbian and Microsoft agreed to license each other's runtime engines. Microsoft agrees to open its Windows CE operating system to any licensees who wish to include a J2ME engine, and other core Symbian runtime environments, into their devices. Symbian licenses, on behalf of all Symbian attached companies, the core element of the .NET Framework known as the Common Language Runtime. To enable manufacturers to put platform agnostic devices on the market quickly, the two companies will put together a task force that will help make the nescessary adjustments. Executives from both companies say that competition will continue to be fierce despite this deal.<br /><br /><b>FAKE 4: IBM revisits Windows CE</b> - IBM left the Windows CE camp some years ago, but has decided to revisit it. This time IBM works with Microsoft and Cisco to make an entire range of home products based on the Tablet PC specifications.<br /><br /><b>FAKE 5: Dell believes mobile phone market goes corporate</b> - The hardware giant has long stayed away from the mobile device market, but is finally determined to start playing in this growing segment. Dell has decided to work with device maker HTC to make their Dell Smartphone 2002. Their strategy is somewhat different from the other mobile phone makers: they will market and sell the devices to corporate accounts only, coupled with server hardware, Microsoft Exchange and Microsoft Mobile Information Server.

Mark (NL)
02-25-2002, 02:57 PM
Yeah like any of this will ever happen... But I guess dreaming is nice so Keep on Dreaming &lt;lol> :D

spg
02-25-2002, 03:39 PM
Long live the dreams! :)

Steven Cedrone
02-25-2002, 03:49 PM
While everyone talks about Handspring and Sony and their ability to do great things with such a limited OS, I would add the dream that MS would make a deal with Handera/TRG. Out of all of the Palm licensees, I think they do some of the best "innovating".....

Just my .02

Steve

JohnnyFlash
02-25-2002, 05:14 PM
"If you don't have a dream, how you gonna make a dream come true...."

JonnoB
02-25-2002, 05:32 PM
It would be interesting to see what Apple would do with the CE.Net kernal... maybe something to compete with PocketPC form factor. They would at least have some innovative physical designs and with a common kernal, we would see more developers on the platform and possibly a real Mac ActiveSync.

Dave Conger
02-25-2002, 06:49 PM
I would rather enjoy having Sony take a shot at making a Pocket PC. Though Handspring would be nice, I would much prefer a CLIE style device running Pocket PC. I didn't say they should stop making their Palm OS devices either...has any company ever though what kind of market share they would get if they produced both Palm OS and Pocket PC devices...hmmm...$$$

popko
02-25-2002, 07:08 PM
On one hand, it'd be nice for all of that to happen. But on the other hand, MS'd be in real anti-trust truble if that were to happen.

ram
02-25-2002, 07:30 PM
another MOST IMPORTANT wishful thinking is that
1) pocketpc interface becomes as userfriendly as PALM
2) PIMs get as better as that of PALM (datebook)
3) 200MHz speed be the true speed (one can argue that palm 33mhz is about 6 times slower but in reality, its faster that pocketpc, especially when u use pocketinformant or agendafusion)
4) be userfriendly

Lets stop dreaming about things which would make it worse (if symbion combines with microsoft, then microsoft has one less competitor, i.e they would do less product innovation, look at the amount of revolution that has happened in hardware in the span of few years, we have 0.6inch notebook which weigh 2.6 lbs!, microsoft products have improved only a tiny-winy bit!), frankly, i am hoping that palm catch up in hardware (multimedia capability) soon so that i can go back to palm...

HR
02-25-2002, 08:32 PM
How about something a lot less ambitious:

MS produces a totally stable PPC with no bugs, no need for resets, and instant response

For me, this is a lot more important.

Dave Conger
02-25-2002, 10:48 PM
MS produces a totally stable PPC with no bugs, no need for resets, and instant response

Though creating a totally stable OS is next to impossible (because it would have to be compatible with all products that could be used with it), a more stable OS would be nice. Getting some of the memory leaks and such though would take tracking and testing, would improve reliability.

No bugs....they aren't bugs, they are features... There will always be bugs (which comes with stability), but I think that companies need to be responsive to fixing them. I feel Microsoft does well with fixing security holes in 2000 (pre-service pack fixes, and service packs), but I think both Microsoft and Pocket PC companies need to fix their bugs when they are found other then turning them into "features."

I feel like since there is no shutdown on your Pocket PC, and when you turn it off it is basically hibernating, the reset issue will never get fixed. You will always need to use resets, they can't be removed unless you force and actual shutdown and actual boot every time (which changes how a PPC works). If you fix problems like memory leaks, then you don't really have as much of a need to reset as often, but I think that soft resets are just part of the game....they don't really take that long to perform.

Sven Johannsen
02-26-2002, 04:27 AM
It would be interesting to see what Apple would do with the CE.Net kernal... maybe something to compete with PocketPC form factor. They would at least have some innovative physical designs and with a common kernal, we would see more developers on the platform and possibly a real Mac ActiveSync.

Have you seen their latest desktop?? They'd probably make a handheld that looked like a flashlight. :wink:

isrjt
02-26-2002, 06:02 AM
I have to say that compared to the desktop. The pocket PC is great. I love having the Operating system on ROM. No matter how much I dink, as long as I have my trusty HP safestore and a clean backup I'm good to go.
I wish the desktop ran this way. Amatuer developers like would be less likely to mess things up.
Maybe this is a dream or totaly illogical, but couldn't MS cut down on viruses and such if only they possessed the ability to update the ROM.
Another gaurded secret, I would think they would be all over this???

HR
02-26-2002, 06:33 AM

Though creating a totally stable OS is next to impossible (because it would have to be compatible with all products that could be used with it), a more stable OS would be nice. Getting some of the memory leaks and such though would take tracking and testing, would improve reliability.
I think that MS has to put a lot more effort into fixing these flaws. If MS wants to market this device as ubiquitous and useful, they should make it as such. People, have no patience for bugs and resets and want immediate response. I think this is achievable.