View Full Version : The Wonderful HP Pocket Keyboard

Tycho Morgan
02-21-2002, 12:11 AM
I, like just about every other Pocket PC user that follows mobile technology, have seen one thumb style keyboard after another for the past year or so. First on the RIM Blackberry, then on many of the two way pagers that followed the Blackberry; then thumb keyboards were introduced for most of the Palms, and finally we saw these nifty gadgets for Pocket PCs. There are options for all iPAQ models as well as the <a href="http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00005V5T1/jasonsego">HP560 series</a>. (affiliate link)<br /><br />The idea behind the thumb keyboard is that you hold your device in your hands like you would hold a Gameboy while you type with your thumbs (you could use any method that you like, but this seems to be the generally accepted method.) At first I thought that this looked like a fairly stupid and ineffective method for entering data when I have a stowaway portable keyboard that I can type 60+ words a minute on. Why settle for what amounts to hunting and pecking on a small keyboard when you can touch type at a speed that is comfortable for you? <br /><br />So with out giving it much thought, I had completely dismissed the entire concept of thumb keyboards. Later as, I was reexamining my usage patterns when I upgraded to the Jornada, my conclusions about thumb keyboards began to change. Like I said before, the Stowaway is the best solution for entering a large amount of data on the run, if you spend most of your time in a few locations and you dot move around all that much. Unfortunately, in the real world, full sized keyboards aren't practical for a lot of mobile users: they take too long to set up, they require a flat surface, and for far to many situations they are just far to cumbersome. <br /><br />Thus enters the thumb keyboard. It's easy to setup, in the case of Jornada, it integrates into the flip cover and is always there when you need it, and the other models are almost equally as easy. It is way faster than any onscreen method (unless you are that guy who can hit 50 wpm on Fitaly) and you can use it in almost any circumstance. <br /><br />Having said all that, I don't think that thumb keyboards are the perfect input solution for Pocket PCs. Besides having more of a learning curve than you'd think, or I'd like (ok, I'm inpatient, but that's just me), in their current incarnation they limit the usefulness of the device by blocking access to the directional pad, the action button, and the shortcut buttons, which for a lefty who finds the jog toggle awkward to use is a bigger deal than you'd think. In the end though, I think that the thumb keyboard is a great idea that probably fits the usage patterns of many Pocket PC users.

brntcrsp
02-21-2002, 01:05 AM
I'm glad you like it. I just found out how illiterate I am today when I finally realized that the backlight key is not for the screen backlight but for the keyboard backlight. :oops: somehow I managed to completely miss that fact.

lmtuxinc
02-21-2002, 01:14 AM
I have one of these pocket keyboards for my Hp Jornada 568, and while it is a great way to type on my jornada, it is missing one very important thing - A CONTROL KEY ! It has shift, caps, numbers and a symbol key, but there is NO way to copy and paste text using only the HP keyboard, I have use the screen keyboard ctl-c and ctl-v or the stylus to copy and paste text. What HP needs to do now is release a driver update to provide a control key on the keyboard, since changing tha actual keyboard now would help the people who already have one, and they are not going to ship replacements to everybody.

QYV
02-21-2002, 01:17 AM
I can't believe a thumb keyboard is faster than using Transcriber for text input! For people who've used both, is that really the case?

brntcrsp
02-21-2002, 01:41 AM
QYV - for me it is. transcriber slows me down because I have to wait to have the sentence translated from my atrocious scrawl. I've always been a better typer than writer.

Kre
02-21-2002, 04:03 AM
I shared with Compaq my desire to see them integrate a backlit thumb type keyboard into the Ipaq. Something along the lines of Sharps newest Zaurus. I know that Sharp has a patent on the way they integrated their keyboard, but I suggested to Compaq that they have the button section on the front of the Ipaq built in such a way, hinged on the bottom, that it can fold down to reveal a keyboard. I know this isnt too much different than Sharps design where the bottom half of the Zaurus slides down to reveal its keyboard, but in terms of a patent, this small design difference may allow Compaq to integrate a keyboard in the way I suggested. But of course, they would know this better than anyone.

Other than this, I couldnt say how else it could be integrated and still remain useable. But this would make such a great addition to the hardware.

Mr. Anonymous
02-21-2002, 04:41 AM
I LOVE my Jornada keyboard cover, but it definately specific time for being on my machine. When I'm fairly mobile with day-to-day activities, I hardly enter any text and Fitaly is fast enogh for me. When I'm sitting in extended meetings I'm typing tons of meeting notes and the Stowaway is my input method of choice.

Sometimes though I'm replying to email, writing in my journal, or just taking a few note in a impromptu meeting. For times like that, the keyboard cover rocks. It's small enough that it can live on my Jornada for a couple of days or easily be taken off in a couple of seconds. The only thing I really don't like about it is that it doesn't replicate the fuctions of the diretional pad and application shortcut keys.

isrjt
02-21-2002, 04:42 AM
While I think the keyboards are a neat idea. I tend to look the other way. I would like to see more 1 handed operation. You should be able to navigate any menu without the stylus. I seem to remove and replace that thing more then I ever use it. How about removing the shortcut buttons and replacing them with more fuctional navigation buttons. The thing should operate in both modes - kinda like a mouse and all the shortcuts using the keyboard. I think at the very least, 1/2 of your navigation should be one handed.

I do think the thumb keyboards are cool and totaly geeky - which I love

Tycho Morgan
02-21-2002, 04:53 AM
I agree about the on handed operation, and that's my biggest complaint about the keyboard: it really removes the possibility of one handed operation. I'm a lefty and really can't find a use for the toggle in its curent form, so removing the joy pad and buttons really make the stylus a must. In the keyboards defense, I must say that it's easier to use the stylus with the thumb keyboard than it is with the stowaway. I'm going to call it a draw, and suffer through the keyboard most of the time :)

Cheers,
Sam

slalvani
02-21-2002, 08:59 AM
I am a very heavy PPC user. I am constantly travelling and for the past 18 months have not carried a laptop.

For meeting notes, I would either scribble them in notepad (and "reecognise" at a later date) or make an effort with transcriber, but shared the same paroblems as many in that you have to wait to ensure correct recognition before proceeding.

The Stowaway is the best device for inputting, but really not practical to whip out like the cover keyboard, and often it is just not with me when I need it.

While the ocver keyboard adds a fair amount of bulk to the Journada, it is still (just about) pocketable, and for me it lives on the Journada permanently.

I think with a little work in the product design (like the Treo) they could incorporate the keyboard on the Journada (or iPaq et al) with all the other controls from the start. This would avoid the extra bulk of an aftermarket add on, and would be able to consider all the buttons needed (and most importantly, would not block the sync and charging sockets).

In short - I like it alot. Well done HP. :D

Jeff Kirvin
02-21-2002, 01:58 PM
I agree about the on handed operation, and that's my biggest complaint about the keyboard: it really removes the possibility of one handed operation. I'm a lefty and really can't find a use for the toggle in its curent form, so removing the joy pad and buttons really make the stylus a must.

Interesting. I'm also a Southpaw, and I have no trouble at all using the Jornada's side controls. I just use my right index finger instead of my left thumb to work them. I have a program called DeAction that allows you map any hardware button to "enter", so I can scroll with the toggle, then select with a quick press of the record button (holding down the record button records a voice note). It works pretty well, and I can navigate apps like InkSpot News almost entirely one-handed. (I wish I had a Back button like on my Clie, though...)

Because of the side controls, I don't really miss the d-pad on the front of the device at all, and find the keyboard a much more efficient use of that space. I do wish I had a Control key and keys to mimic the app buttons, though. I generally keep the pocket keyboard on the Jornada by default taking it off only to use the Stowaway and occasionally to sync if I think I'll need the front controls while the Jornada's cradled.

JK

Heavy Eddie
02-21-2002, 05:58 PM
I've been eyeballing the half keyboard for a long time thinking this could be a great solution. At first I laughed, but I downloaded their demo and in about 5 minutes was pretty efficient.

This way you can use one hand to type and the other to hold the PocketPC or stylus.

The problem... the folks at www.halfkeyboard.com has said they will have a PocketPC version available "SOON" for at least a year now. I don't think it will happen.

kurzon
02-21-2002, 07:10 PM
Jkirvin,

Where can I find DeAction? I've searched for it on pocketgear and handango but can't find it. I think this proggy might be useful.

thanks

adamz
02-21-2002, 07:20 PM
Are these tiny Querty keyboards really that useful? I thought those were why the old handheld PCs never really caught on.. The keyboards were too small to be useful, and they take away from space that could be used for the screen.
I think these thumb keyboards still require added training, perhaps just as much as Fitaly, but they still require two hands and one of them is NOT using the stylus!
Using Calligrapher (when set with increased recognition speed) is a lot faster than the single motion of taking one hand off the thumbs keyboard, taking the stylus out of it's slot, tapping on the screen, putting it back in the slot, and putting your hand back on the keyboard. With Calligrapher… yes you're still using two hands, but you still have functionality in the pocket PC interface with a quick tap to shut off the input application. With external keyboards, you have no such control.
Creating an input method that doubles as a navigation control is more efficient since the user has less work to do in switching between controls.

I do agree, however, that one-handed use of PDAs can be greatly improved. My old Uniden PC100 Pro Windows CE 2.1 Palm Sized PC device had up/down navigation buttons on the left side, along with action, and cancel buttons. These were easily accessible by my left thumb while holding the device. On the right side there were 4 other programable application buttons that were accessible by my other fingers also while holding the device with my left hand. Thus, my left hand was not completely wasted while holding the device. This is not true with any of the current Pocket PC devices.
Ideally, the hardware buttons on the PDA should be controllable by the hand that is holding the device. There should be a button that makes application menus activate (similar to keyboard navigation controls in Windows), a button that accesses the context sensitive "tap'n'hold" menus, an activate button for applying selected commands, a start menu button, and a directional control (accu-touch joystick?) for navigating activated menus. Program launching buttons are really unnecessary given these navigational items.

Furthermore, placing the hardware buttons on the front of the Pocket PC devices was a really poor design decision since in order to use them while holding the device, you must either hold the stylus with some other fingers and then arrange your index finger to be available in order to press the button… or hold the device with your thumb on top, and attempt to move your thumb horizontally across the device in order to access the buttons (thumbs weren't designed for this type of motion and it makes holding the PDA less stable/comfortable).

Jeff Kirvin
02-21-2002, 08:27 PM
Jkirvin,

Where can I find DeAction? I've searched for it on pocketgear and handango but can't find it. I think this proggy might be useful.

thanks

http://www.geocities.com/litezen/WinCE/DeAction/deaction.html

pocketmon
02-21-2002, 10:06 PM
I've used a thumb keyboard before and I am amazingly quick with it. For me, it is loads faster than transcriber. But then you have to realize I'm young enough to have wasted years away on a gameboy so my thumbs have been honed with ninja speed to press buttons. :twisted:

The only bad thing about the thumb keyboard is that I now have an audiovox maestro and there is none for that just yet. Grr... 8O

TechJosh
02-22-2002, 01:53 AM
I just recently got an HP Jornada 567 and Pocket Keyboard, and while I believe the keyboard is a step in the right direction, I have taken issue with several points:

1. The tabs which connect the keyboard to the Jornada unit are MUCH more flimsy than the tabs on the origional cover. This is VERY BAD because they must support much more weight than the normal cover. Already after only a few days of use the tabs are wearing down and are becomming rounded. This also leads to an extreme amount of slack between the keyboard and the unit.

2. The keyboard itself does not flip open nearly as much as the original cover. I am speaking about the entire keyboard, not merely the screen window cover on the keyboard. While the original cover opens to roughly 120 degrees, the keyboard/cover only opens to roughly 90 degrees, further contributing to the degredation of the tabs by giving gravity a greater advantage. This would not be such an issue if you never had to flip open the keyboard to access the directional pad and main keys or charge/sync the unit.

3. The latch on the screen window portion of the keyboard is weak and has often opened while I am closing the cover. This really isnt too bad but it does sort of feel like you're damaging it when you close the keyboard while the screen window is open.

4. Although the keyboard has an 'off' button (yellow + space), it does not have an 'on' button. There is no way to turn the unit on with the keyboard. This, however, is not so bad because you can configue the Jornada to turn on when the screen is tapped (but this can be a bit annoying if your trying to clean the screen).

5. No sync/charge passthrough on the keyboard. I had already hinted at this but it is a point which I feel must be addressed. I find it awkward to use the unit while syncing/charging it because the keyboard must be unlatched and propped up. Many people never use their unit while syncing/charging so this would not really be an issue for them.

6. People who hold the unit in their left hand (ME) may find it difficult to use the side buttons with their thumbs. (Right-hand-holders shouldnt have trouble with this because they will use their index finger which is much more controlled than the thumb) The problem is that the thumb has trouble hitting the buttons because the edge of the cover sticks out further than the button. This is not an issue with the original cover because the cover doesn't stick out and generally the cover would be open when you use them (although you could take voice notes with the cover closed).

7. The driver for the keyboard is loaded by an application that must be kept running in order to use it. While that seems reasonable, HP's implimentation is very irritating in that when it is started it launches its own window. They should at least give you a command line option to minimize on start so that this program could be easily placed in the startup folder without being a distraction so that the user could forget about the driver and focus on using the keyboard. In addition, HP's Task Switcher should exclude the driver from its normal program list (like the task switcher itself) so that when a user closes all programs the driver is not closed as well.

These are merely my observations and suggestions. Your mileage may vary. In its current functional state I would recommend the pocket keyboard to two-fingered typists who dont generally use the directional pad and buttons in that area and who are willing to switch on the option to tap the screent to turn it on. (but in my experience it is the two-fingered typists who are gamers and will use the directional pad)

Although I may seem to have come down hard on HP, I commend them on their effort to bridge the gap between portability and usability.
If HP is reading this and had decided to make a second version of their keyboard, here would be my recommendations:

1. MAKE THE SERIAL/POWER CONNECTOR PASS THROUGH. Let us charge/sync the unit without opening the cover.

2. For goodness sake add a power button to the keyboard!

3. Strengthen the tabs and increase the opening angle of the keyboard.

4. Make it easier to push the side buttons.

5. Make the directional pad and other buttons accessible without opening the cover. This could be done in at least two days:
A. make the keyboard portion pop open like the screen cover.
B. put the keyboard portion on rails and make it able to slide down out of the way.

6. Fix the drivers:
A. have the install program place the driver in the startup folder (or do the same thing through the registry)
B. have the program start minimized.
C. Group it with the HP Task Switcher in task switcher so that you can use the "Close all" option without closing the keyboard driver.

Jeff Kirvin
02-22-2002, 07:09 AM
2. The keyboard itself does not flip open nearly as much as the original cover. I am speaking about the entire keyboard, not merely the screen window cover on the keyboard. While the original cover opens to roughly 120 degrees, the keyboard/cover only opens to roughly 90 degrees, further contributing to the degredation of the tabs by giving gravity a greater advantage. This would not be such an issue if you never had to flip open the keyboard to access the directional pad and main keys or charge/sync the unit.

You don't have to open it all the way. When I place the unit in the cradle, I just pop open the connector and swing the keyboard out about 10 degrees, and open the cover window. Then the keyboard rests against the front of the cradle while the unit is docked, and I still have full access to the screen.

4. Although the keyboard has an 'off' button (yellow + space), it does not have an 'on' button. There is no way to turn the unit on with the keyboard. This, however, is not so bad because you can configue the Jornada to turn on when the screen is tapped (but this can be a bit annoying if your trying to clean the screen).

RTFM. The switch on the left side does more than lock the keyboard from input. In the unlocked position (with no red visible) you can push it in (as opposed to up and down) to turn on the unit. This is clearly documented in the little pamphlet that came with the unit.

5. No sync/charge passthrough on the keyboard. I had already hinted at this but it is a point which I feel must be addressed. I find it awkward to use the unit while syncing/charging it because the keyboard must be unlatched and propped up. Many people never use their unit while syncing/charging so this would not really be an issue for them.

While I agree this is annoying, it's not that big a deal, as mentioned above.

7. The driver for the keyboard is loaded by an application that must be kept running in order to use it. While that seems reasonable, HP's implimentation is very irritating in that when it is started it launches its own window. They should at least give you a command line option to minimize on start so that this program could be easily placed in the startup folder without being a distraction so that the user could forget about the driver and focus on using the keyboard. In addition, HP's Task Switcher should exclude the driver from its normal program list (like the task switcher itself) so that when a user closes all programs the driver is not closed as well.

I've heard that the driver software was rushed out the door, and that HP plans on releasing an update in the future that will work as seamlessly as the Stowaway driver. They're also supposed to greatly enhance the symbol table (more international characters) and possible improve the keyboard's noticable battery drain. Keep an eye peeled to hp.com for more info.

While I'd prefer power and sync passthrough and four extra buttons along the bottom of the keyboard to mirror the hard buttons that are covered up, I think the hp pocket keyboard is a great little piece of hardware that makes my Jornada much more usable on the go.

JK

TechJosh
02-22-2002, 07:20 AM
I stand corrected about the power switch... I looked at the manual and it is right there in b&w (and in ten languages too)... However, on my unit this switch does not work as described in the manual. In fact I cannot get it to work at all. The switch is very loose and slides easily from side to side with no discernable 'click' as one would expect when using this type of switch. Fortunately for me at least it appears to be stuck in the 'on' position and not the 'off'...