View Full Version : Does Microsoft read ZDNet?

Dave Conger
02-20-2002, 04:25 AM
...if they don't normally, they might want to read the recent ZDNet article titled "Can Pocket PC beat Palm? Sure. Here's how." Though I am sure Microsoft doesn't need ZDNet to tell them what to do, but there are some pretty good and valid points in the article. I didn't even think about bringing the MSN Music service to Pocket PC. There are definatly other companies trying to do this with certain content, but MSN Music combines more then just music. I also feel like the issue of games, another issue that Microsoft could address. Mini versions of XBox games, neat idea. They would basically be promoting content on another system while providing more content for another.

Well, there are lots of other things too...
http://www.zdnet.com/anchordesk/stories/story/0,10738,2848712,00.html

James
02-20-2002, 04:56 AM
bringing the MSN Music service to Pocket PC. There are definatly other

Then they're definitely going to have to come up with high-speed, unmetered wireless!

Trade Wind
02-20-2002, 06:03 AM
Then they're definitely going to have to come up with high-speed, unmetered wireless!

Hello James,

Keep in mind that Microsoft has some of the best audio codecs around, especially at lower bitrates. This would pay off in spades if MSN did create a mobile (Pocket PC/Smartphone/Auto PC etc.) version of their service.

Dave Conger
02-20-2002, 06:32 AM
Keep in mind that Microsoft has some of the best audio codecs around, especially at lower bitrates. This would pay off in spades if MSN did create a mobile (Pocket PC/Smartphone/Auto PC etc.) version of their service.

SHHHHH...don't let the wireless companies know that! But seriously, I don't really want to pay per kb and listen to a whole song over something like MSN Music....I could probably buy the whole CD for the price of that.

philfp
02-20-2002, 10:14 AM
SHHHHH...don't let the wireless companies know that! But seriously, I don't really want to pay per kb and listen to a whole song over something like MSN Music....I could probably buy the whole CD for the price of that.

Perhaps better is to have both a low bitrate streaming option for the audio and also the option of downloading a higher bitrate Windows Media file so that I can download the music and take it with me without incurring further data charges.

spg
02-20-2002, 03:08 PM

That could really get expensive in a hurry. MSN Music would currently only really be practical over an 802.11b connection. Good idea though :).

Dave Conger
02-20-2002, 07:06 PM
That could really get expensive in a hurry. MSN Music would currently only really be practical over an 802.11b connection. Good idea though :).

Yes spg, it would get expensive (like we have just said). That is why we would like to see non-pay-per-usage rates.

spg
02-20-2002, 10:36 PM
Yes spg, it would get expensive (like we have just said). That is why we would like to see non-pay-per-usage rates.

Yes I know, I was just stating it again.

Dave Conger
02-21-2002, 12:20 AM

Ok, thanks.

(my pointless post of the day :wink: )

crashdau
02-21-2002, 02:42 AM
spg wrote:

Ok, thanks.

WOW!!!! oh....uh...the topic of this thread isn't quoting the previous person ? Sorry, my bag! :D

Dave Conger
02-21-2002, 05:08 AM
WOW!!!! oh....uh...the topic of this thread isn't quoting the previous person ? Sorry, my bag! :D

Quoting 101 is next week.

Back to the article though..."Pocket PC hardware should offer interchangeable face plates, like many Nokia cell phones and Palm's m100. Power users may not like the idea of a leopard-skin iPaq, but teenagers and college students would love this option. " I feel like this would be a good idea for Pocket PC companies to consider. The teenage market is NOT getting hit by Pocket PC's. The BE-300 is about the closest thing to a high school PDA, but it doesn't really provide much expandibility. Now that the iPAQ's are getting cheap they are accessable by students, but the iPAQ has one look. In college, I don't really care what my PDA looks like, but I wouldn't have minded having some colored face plays or something in high school to make people say, what is that?

James
02-21-2002, 05:39 AM

Even at the lower bitrates, at $$/MB, streaming audio gets expensive fast. Even at $$/GB, it gets expensive fast...

James
02-21-2002, 05:42 AM

And they just added a second section, so if you haven't signed up yet, run (don't walk) to your nearest Registrar.

Back to the article though..."Pocket PC hardware should offer interchangeable face plates, like many Nokia cell phones and Palm's m100. Power users may not like the idea of a leopard-skin iPaq, but teenagers and college students would love this option. " I feel like this would be a good idea for Pocket PC companies to consider. The teenage market is NOT getting hit by Pocket PC's. The BE-300 is about the closest thing to a high school PDA, but it doesn't really provide much expandibility. Now that the iPAQ's are getting cheap they are accessable by students, but the iPAQ has one look. In college, I don't really care what my PDA looks like, but I wouldn't have minded having some colored face plays or something in high school to make people say, what is that?

You're in marketing, aren't you? It's okay...you can admit ;)

spg
02-21-2002, 03:22 PM

Well I get asked all the time what my iPAQ is. Now I will admit faceplates would be cool but I would much rather spend money on an expansion pack or something instead of looks. And the iPAQ does have the style packs which are pretty neat looking. And I will tell you this I am a 9th grader so I kinda know my way around regarding teens and PocketPCs.

And they just added a second section, so if you haven't signed up yet, run (don't walk) to your nearest Registrar.

Ok, so I didn't have much original thought in that one statement but after that I did - "MSN Music would currently only really be practical over an 802.11b connection."

James
02-21-2002, 04:16 PM
Ok, so I didn't have much original thought in that one statement but after that I did - "MSN Music would currently only really be practical over an 802.11b connection."

Quite practical, though since it's shared bandwidth, it will depend on how many users are connected to the same AP. 802.11a seems much more practical for lots of users at 64kbs, provided the uplink is 100Mbit

Dave Conger
02-21-2002, 04:51 PM
Well I get asked all the time what my iPAQ is. Now I will admit faceplates would be cool but I would much rather spend money on an expansion pack or something instead of looks. And the iPAQ does have the style packs which are pretty neat looking. And I will tell you this I am a 9th grader so I kinda know my way around regarding teens and PocketPCs.

I didn't mean to say that it would be the current iPAQ that would have changable face plates, just some device. It is up to the person if they would buy them or not, but I feel like teens especially would like the idea on a more inexpensive Pocket PC. I am a 13th grader (Freshman is college), so I have been through a large public high school where cell phones with cool faceplates were the thing....and think I can also talk about teens and Pocket PC's as well (and frankly so can anyone...it is their own opinion on the situation).

spg
02-21-2002, 07:15 PM
I didn't mean to say that it would be the current iPAQ that would have changable face plates, just some device. It is up to the person if they would buy them or not, but I feel like teens especially would like the idea on a more inexpensive Pocket PC. I am a 13th grader (Freshman is college), so I have been through a large public high school where cell phones with cool faceplates were the thing....and think I can also talk about teens and Pocket PC's as well (and frankly so can anyone...it is their own opinion on the situation).

I wasn't implying that you couldn't talk about it, everyone has the right to their opinion; that is a great thing about our nation. And yes, I would love the idea of a cheaper Pocket PC, providing it had most of the features of the more expensive ones now. And faceplates are cool things maybe it is just me, I'm not much for spending extra for looks. But I guess that is probably just me.

JackMDS
02-22-2002, 02:07 AM
The PocketPC PDA (iPaq, and the like) is still in the "Milking Phase"; i.e. you sell pieces of plastic for a lot of money. E.g., Compaq CF expansion sleeve is sold for $49.95. A DVD CD-ROM drive for regular PC, which is a little more then a piece of plastic with a plug costs the same.

When you buy a new iPaq and the few necessary Add Ons the total gets close to $1000. It does not matter what Microsoft will do, as long as the price of the basic unit, and add-ons will not comply with normal Market Value, it will stay a cooperate gadget.

popko
02-22-2002, 10:38 PM
... run (don't walk) to your nearest Registrar.

Speaking of Registrar, The Register has an intresting article on the whole future of PPC. Have a look and tell me what you think: http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/54/24145.html