View Full Version : Earthlink acquires Omnisky

Ed Hansberry
02-19-2002, 08:42 PM
<a href="http://earthlink.omnisky.com/index.jsp?brand=omnisky">http://earthlink.omnisky.com/index.jsp?brand=omnisky</a><br /><br />"Atlanta-based EarthLink, a leading Internet service provider, has acquired OmniSky's subscriber base and key technology assets."<br /><br />Earthlink now has dialup, DSL and wireless internet access in their stable. I'll be interested to see if they offer price plans to bundle normal PC based access and wireless access for users. They have wireless pricing plans starting at $24.95. I hope they expand the coverage. The last time I checked they weren't available in Atlanta - which is Earthlink's headquarters. I think this is good news. With other wireless carriers disappearing, I was afraid Omnisky would be next. Hopefully Earthlink will quickly increase coverage, the userbase and access speeds until Omnisky can become profitable on its own.<br /><br />Thanks to Corey McLaughlin for the heads up!

tadams
02-19-2002, 08:51 PM
This actually happened a while ago and.... OmniSky doesn't support Pocket PC 2002. 8O

Kemas
02-19-2002, 09:03 PM
It is based on CDPD and AT&T, supplier for them of the signal, is moving to GPRS. This could spell the end of OmniSky.

spg
02-19-2002, 09:07 PM
This actually happened a while ago and.... OmniSky doesn't support Pocket PC 2002. 8O

Yes it did happen a while back. But I don't remember ever seeing it posted here.

tadams
02-19-2002, 09:21 PM

Yes it did happen a while back. But I don't remember ever seeing it posted here.

You may be right, I never checked. I just thought that since it happened months ago it was old news. I was surprised that the latest version of OmniSky software will not run on the newest Pocket PCs. No where did I find information that they would support it in the future. Too bad, I used it for a while when I had my iPAQ 3630.

cortez
02-19-2002, 10:14 PM
Omnisky doesn't support PPC2002, but one of their techies told me to remove the omnisky software and enter the IP settings in the Air Card Watcher, which worked for a while. Problem is, when it stopped working the other day, support is obviously a little slim :( . we're desperately hoping that they get support for PPC02 soon, since the costs for the airdcard and the monthly subscription cost have been so much.

JonnoB
02-19-2002, 10:17 PM
Just wait for the re-launch of Ricochet I think... or hope that the new wireless PPC devices come quickly. I would love to see an enterprising company cover the earth with 802.x wireless access points for high-speed everywhere access.

Dave Conger
02-19-2002, 10:33 PM
I had heard a rumor that EarthLink was trying out a 802.11b network (in Atlanta I think). EarthLink was providing internet throught the network if you signed up for the access. I have done a lot of war driving in Portland with all the Wi-Fi around there, and actually had heard that from one place you could jump on the net for free. I would like to see a 802.11b network from Earthlink in some of the major cities...I think it could be very useful and a good solution.

JonnoB
02-19-2002, 10:43 PM
There are several grass-roots developments for free WiFi access. I have read about the Portland Personal Telco Project... but there are others. There are a few websites even that list free areas with access points. NY City for example has coverage in some areas.

mclaughlinc
02-20-2002, 12:06 AM
Your right it happend a while ago as far as Earthlink agreeing to purchase thier assets. But they just switched to doing everything from the Earthlink website with Earthlink software not Omnisky software or website. That's what new

Janak Parekh
02-20-2002, 12:08 AM
Ed,

The reason OmniSky didn't have Atlanta coverage is because a CDPD network is not established there. CDPD runs on 800MHz and apparently all the available 800MHz spectrum was already used up, preventing the deployment of CDPD.

It's perhaps the largest metropolitan area in the US that doesn't have it. You'll notice AT&T also never had PocketNet coverage there, either.

--bdj

Ed Hansberry
02-20-2002, 12:45 AM
The reason OmniSky didn't have Atlanta coverage is because a CDPD network is not established there. CDPD runs on 800MHz and apparently all the available 800MHz spectrum was already used up, preventing the deployment of CDPD.
I thought it was odd but never understood why. Sort of funny now that their HQ is there.

Daniel
02-20-2002, 01:05 AM
There are several grass-roots developments for free WiFi access. I have read about the Portland Personal Telco Project... but there are others. There are a few websites even that list free areas with access points. NY City for example has coverage in some areas.

We even have one in Sydney, it's a great idea, I'm trying to get involved but not sure if I'll be here much longer.

daniel

JonnoB
02-20-2002, 01:10 AM
We even have one in Sydney, it's a great idea, I'm trying to get involved but not sure if I'll be here much longer.

Where in the states are you coming? I have thought of making a business out of WiFi in my neighborhood. I live in one of those locations not serviced by big-time DSL and Cable, but managed to get a DSL line when others could not. I have thought of 'sharing' my bandwidth for a few $$ :)

Janak Parekh
02-20-2002, 02:41 AM
I thought it was odd but never understood why. Sort of funny now that their HQ is there.

Well, now, it's obviously time for them to move out! :P

Seriously, the one 800MHz data network in Atlanta is the Mobitex network used by RIM units. Now that Verizon owns 800MHz coverage in Atlanta, they could theoretically deploy a CDPD network, but I think CDPD is approaching end-of-life, and I'd seriously doubt that they would bother deploying that as opposed to 2.5/3G.

--bdj

spg
02-20-2002, 02:53 AM
Your right it happend a while ago as far as Earthlink agreeing to purchase thier assets. But they just switched to doing everything from the Earthlink website with Earthlink software not Omnisky software or website. That's what new

Ahh, ok thanks for the info.

As for free WiFi I recall reading an article at silicon.com not to far back. It was about the St. Paul airport I believe. They were going to give free access to anyone using certain Windows Powered mobile computing devices. Such as a laptop with Windows XP, and PocketPC 2002 of any kind. I can't find the article now, anyone else recall that?

Dave Conger
02-20-2002, 03:55 AM
As for free WiFi I recall reading an article at silicon.com not to far back. It was about the St. Paul airport I believe. They were going to give free access to anyone using certain Windows Powered mobile computing devices. Such as a laptop with Windows XP, and PocketPC 2002 of any kind. I can't find the article now, anyone else recall that?

I have heard about all the airport Wi-Fi networks, but I thought Earthlink was playing around with another 802.11b network. More of a city network like the ones that have been popping up, but this one would include a pay per use internet.

Daniel
02-20-2002, 04:08 AM
Where in the states are you coming?

NYC at this stage, it's through work, so we may get another offer but we are looking at East Coast.

I have thought of making a business out of WiFi in my neighborhood. I live in one of those locations not serviced by big-time DSL and Cable, but managed to get a DSL line when others could not. I have thought of 'sharing' my bandwidth for a few $$ :)

It's a great idea, I really want to get involved in a project like this. It would be so nice to be sitting in a park somewhere "working" from home. :) I think I'd take an initial hit in productivity, but then I'd get back up to speed. :)

What WiFi hardware do you use?

daniel

Daniel
02-20-2002, 04:12 AM
I can't find the article now, anyone else recall that?

I remember the MS ones that they had up, in Dallas (on pocketpcpassion I think) but they were only giving them out to people in the VIP lounges I think.

daniel

James
02-20-2002, 04:55 AM
Granted I didn't read back very far in this thread, but y'all seem to be missing the most important one: Starbucks!

Daniel
02-20-2002, 05:37 AM
Granted I didn't read back very far in this thread, but y'all seem to be missing the most important one: Starbucks!

Speaking of which, they're spreading like a plague here in Sydney. There were none before the Olympics and now there are about 9 of them in the City. They're out of control. I always remember the Starbucks reference from Austin Powers, very amusing. :)

daniel

JonnoB
02-20-2002, 06:46 AM
What WiFi hardware do you use?

I am using Symbol CF in PocketPC (two - one in mine and one in wifes). Access point are DLink and GigaFast at home and Linksys and 3Com in the office.

James
02-20-2002, 04:25 PM
Speaking of which, they're spreading like a plague here in Sydney. There were none before the Olympics and now there are about 9 of them in the City. They're out of control. I always remember the Starbucks reference from Austin Powers, very amusing. :)

It is pretty obnoxious. I know of quite a few areas where there's a Starbucks on every corner, and in some cases mid-block too!