View Full Version : Real Audion RealOne coming to PocketPC!!!???!

JonnoB
02-19-2002, 09:43 AM
Check out this article:

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/nm/20020219/tc_nm/tech_realnetworks_mobile_dc_2&cid=581

"Real, best known for its RealOne software for playing music or video on a personal computer, is also preparing to launch a version of RealOne for Pocket PC handheld computers based on Microsoft Corp.'s Windows operating system."

Dave Conger
02-20-2002, 04:30 AM
Looks like it huh. More discussion here:
http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=271

transient
05-06-2002, 02:36 AM
I certainly hope not... I've been trying to get away from realplayer for quite a while.

Sanjay Srikonda
05-12-2002, 09:31 PM
This is just my opinion.

Anyone who uses realplayer for anything be it on their desktop or their pocketpc should read the fine print before downloading the program. it says that they can use your email address, name, and any other information you provide without your consent and sell it as well. That topped with the fact that realplayer continuously polls major sites, checks via cookies where you've been and then uploads that info to the real servers whether or not you've told it do such a thing, and serves that information back to the realaudio servers so that they can continually serve you annoying ads while you use real audio player.

Real has a very bad reputation with anyone who knows anything about the software. If you use zonealarm and set it to ask before programs access the internet for example, real dialer continuously is checking the real servers whether real player is running or not. I've stayed so far away from anything real ever produces such as real download which is even worse than real player.

Hey, you can use real player, that's up to you, but be aware of what you're downloading to your PC or PPC before you put it on there. If you don't mind having more spam mail and wondering who's selling your information then by all means use Real's products. if you want your name and information kept private, then use something else.

But that's just my opinion.

transient
05-15-2002, 11:02 PM
well, it's sort of hard not to use it in some cases. I know amazon.com only uses realmedia for their streaming content, as well as a lot of other sites. If it was up to me, real networks wouldn't exist anymore, but i'm just one person out of millions, and many people that are on the internet, really don't know much about computers, so real networks will continue to hold a decent share of the market at least for a little while.