View Full Version : HP dials in Pocket PC for new handheld

Jason Dunn
02-19-2002, 07:06 AM
<a href="http://news.com.com/2100-1040-839725.html">http://news.com.com/2100-1040-839725.html</a><br /><br />Come to pappa my sweet Jornada 928!<br /><br />"Hewlett-Packard on Tuesday is expected to unveil a new version of its Jornada handheld in Europe that can make cell phone calls and send and receive e-mail wirelessly...<br /><br />...The Jornada will allow voice calls over GSM (Global System for Mobile Communications) and GPRS (General Packet Radio Service) networks. In addition, the Jornada incorporates voice-activated dialing and wireless Web surfing. A device similar to the one launched initially in Europe and Asia this summer will be available in the United States by the end of 2002. Pricing for the Jornada device and the required wireless service has not been set.<br /><br />The Jornada uses a 133MHz Texas Instruments OMAP 710 processor and contains 64MB of memory and a lithium-polymer rechargeable battery. Like its predecessors, the Jornada comes with a CompactFlash Type I slot for expansion cards. The device is 0.7 inches thick, 3.1 inches wide and 5.4 inches long, and weighs 6.8 ounces."<br /><br />Source: Marc Zimmermann

JonnoB
02-19-2002, 07:33 AM
Sure glad to read that they decided on 64mb.

johnm
02-19-2002, 07:49 AM
133MHz Texas Instruments OMAP 710 processor ?

I was under the impression that Microsoft decided to limit PPC2002 support to just the ARM family.[/img]

Daniel
02-19-2002, 07:55 AM
Indeed, OMAP processor? Is this just the DSP or what?

64MB is a good thing though.

daniel

Marc Zimmermann
02-19-2002, 08:14 AM
133MHz Texas Instruments OMAP 710 processor ?

This info refers to the wireless part:
http://www.ti.com/sc/docs/news/2001/01190.htm

JonnoB
02-19-2002, 08:16 AM
Indeed, OMAP processor? Is this just the DSP or what?

It is just the phone DSP. Still uses 206Mhz StrongArm for main CPU.

Daniel
02-19-2002, 08:30 AM
It is just the phone DSP. Still uses 206Mhz StrongArm for main CPU.

Thanks.

daniel

slalvani
02-19-2002, 09:18 AM
:twisted:
Over the past 4 months, I have spent a fortune buying a new Journada 568 (I defected from the iPaq camp), the cover keyboard, the extended battery and PC card jacket.

This now all works beautifully with my GSM Nokia PC card as a truly wireless device (all except voice). I can even chat away on MSN Messenger while in the car.

Now (being a delared PPC addict) will have to junk all of the above and upgrade to this dream baby on the day of its release. Thanks alot Carly!

Now, my real concern is about my other accessories. Will they still work, or do they get junked as well? I would be happy to junk my now beloved cover keyboard if the 968 has one built in - this is the best development on PDA's since PPC2000.

Sunil

JonnoB
02-19-2002, 09:37 AM
Now, my real concern is about my other accessories. Will they still work, or do they get junked as well?

It appears from the looks of the 928 that most of the accessories will work as is. I think that HP did it right with the expandable/swappable battery, snap on keyboard, etc. I hope we see more like it.

st63z
02-19-2002, 10:44 AM
I'm wondering why people are getting excited over a StrongARM wireless PPC to be released in the same time frame as XScale (wireless/non-wireless) PPCs...

I'm also wondering about the use of both the SA-1110 and the TI OMAP 710 -- seems like a lot of overlap redundancy in the hardware (I could be wrong but it looks like the TCS2500 is a complete SOC solution). I assume the software will coordinate the hard division of labor so that the OMAP is used only for specific tasks, but still, I'd be interested in the power consumption of simultaneous usage...?

spg
02-19-2002, 04:12 PM
I'm wondering why people are getting excited over a StrongARM wireless PPC to be released in the same time frame as XScale (wireless/non-wireless) PPCs...

Because it is the latest and greatest right now, everyone will trade up again once XScale comes out :wink:. Ok maybe not, but it is one of the first commercially available wireless PPC handhelds. That is most likely the reason.

I must admit it looks quite cool, but I think I'll keep my iPAQ right now and wait for XScale types of devices.

Daniel
02-19-2002, 04:40 PM

Have to to agree with spg here, any step forward is exciting, it takes us closer to the pie in the sky stuff we are all waiting for! :)

At least I am anyway, don't ask me what it is though... :D

daniel

JornadaJ
02-19-2002, 07:04 PM
I'll be a little hesitant. The dust problem for the 56x series is still getting to me. I'm holding my fifth 568, and I'm waiting to trade this one in as well.

Hope that little snafu doesn't carry over to this series. It does seem sweet. I hope hp realizes that if people are going to pay who-knows-what for this, flecks of dust and dirt aren't just 'cosmetic.'

JornadaJ

JonnoB
02-19-2002, 07:12 PM
I'll be a little hesitant. The dust problem for the 56x series is still getting to me. I'm holding my fifth 568, and I'm waiting to trade this one in as well.

Hope that little snafu doesn't carry over to this series. It does seem sweet. I hope hp realizes that if people are going to pay who-knows-what for this, flecks of dust and dirt aren't just 'cosmetic.'

The manufacturing facilities are likely the same. No reason to build new assembly tools. As for dust - it all depends on whether or not the OEM builder of the device has changed their manufacturing process (any signs of that yet?) Unlike most of us early adopters, phones used by the masses/consumers will be less forgiving - so HP, get your act together and force some quality control!

paulv
02-19-2002, 11:33 PM
Aussies will be happy to hear that Starfighter is coming to Oz. It looks like it will also work on all our networks too!! According to the press release HP are saying 4-6 months.

http://www.itnews.com.au/story.cfm?ID=9128

JonnoB
02-19-2002, 11:40 PM
Aussies will be happy to hear that Starfighter is coming to Oz. It looks like it will also work on all our networks too!! According to the press release HP are saying 4-6 months.

:evil: Jealous with envy

st63z
02-20-2002, 06:13 AM
I think I'm still a bit confused. From what I gather from the news blurb, this StrongARM wireless HP will be available in the US *after* the first of the XScale devices (such as Toshiba) arrive. Toshiba - 2Q02, HP - end of 2002...?

Once next-gen ARM devices (Intel/Mot/TI) are available, it will be difficult introducing new StrongARM models, I think...

Marc Zimmermann
02-20-2002, 07:35 AM
Once next-gen ARM devices (Intel/Mot/TI) are available, it will be difficult introducing new StrongARM models, I think...

I don't think that consumers will care much about that. The Siemens SX45 is not selling well for other reasons, such as there's no way to upgrade to Pocket PC 2002 (due to MIPS processor), headset requirement, size and lack of outdoor visibility.

Xscale and StrongARM are software compatible and StrongARM devices will be upgradeable to future OS versions.

PResines
02-20-2002, 09:29 PM
I understand that the OMAP processor includes both the ARM 9 processor and the DSP logic for GSM.

PocketPC 2002 does not require strongArm processors, just ARM compatible processors whic are made by Intel, Motorola, TI and the original creator (ARM).