View Full Version : Plotting the revival of Ricochet

Jason Dunn
02-19-2002, 02:46 AM
<a href="http://news.com.com/2009-1082-827946.html">http://news.com.com/2009-1082-827946.html</a><br /><br />Ben Charny from CNET News.com interviews the new owner of Ricochet, Mort Aaronson, and it's worth a read. I was a little turned off by Aaronson's mercenary attutide towards companies that have recently self-destructed, but that's why it's called "Business" not "Friendness". It looks like they're going to try and push the price down to below $50, which will no doubt gain them a whole new audience vs. the $70 a month people were paying before. <br /><br />The question is, with 2.5G and 3G services fast approaching, will Ricochet even have a chance to get off the ground? The answer is yes - telco pricing is brutal at the moment, and if I could get unlimited data transfer for $50 a month, I'd be all over it. Would you?<br /><br />"Can Ricochet, a high-speed wireless Internet service that collapsed in last year's dot-com implosion, stage a Lazarus-like comeback? That's what entrepreneur Mort Aaronson has in mind. Aaronson's Denver-based company, Aerie Networks, paid less than a penny on the dollar when it bought the remains of Metricom, which operated Ricochet."<br /><br />Props to Humphrey Riley for this link. Look man, you're in the spotlight! ;-)

JonnoB
02-19-2002, 02:56 AM
The problem with Ricochet in the PDA world is the lack of coverage (although it was improving) and the form factor.... PCMCIA? I hope they are working on a CF or SD card. If they can establish a reliable h.323 gateway, and develop good software (partner with Cisco and the like) I can see them taking on standard mobile phone/PDA combos.

Daniel
02-19-2002, 04:36 AM
Coverage is only important when you don't have it Grasshopper... ;)

But seriously, I'll probably be moving to the US some time this year and I'd be happy to pay $50/month for wireless access. That would totally rock!
Here in AU we don't have much of that going on except GPRS and as I have said before the cost is ridiculous.

daniel

humphrey22
02-19-2002, 04:58 AM
Sierra Wireless told me at COMDEX 2000 that customers are not interested in the CF format for Wireless WAN access. We debated the merits and myths of this for over an hour. I said if you offer it as an option or ask for input from users you could guage interest from the inquiries or pre-orders. No go.

I find that once a client finds out that a CF card can go into their laptop AND PDA (if it has a CF slot of course) they are amazed and say "I want the CF version instead." I think it's an awareness issue with the users that Sierra polled.

Kirk Stephens
02-19-2002, 05:51 AM
I wish cellular speeds would speed up. I think it is stupid for someone to have to pay for a cellphone and then have to pay for a separate wireless service for a handheld. It would be much more cost effective to pay for one and get two uses out of it. O-well, all in good time.

All that rambling behind, I am glad this service is being ressurected. :D

Master O'Mayhem
02-19-2002, 06:54 AM
There is the Aircard 555 that allows voice and data calls on the same card. verizon is offering this service. http://www.verizonwireless.com/express_network/index.html

spg
02-19-2002, 04:07 PM
I'm glad they are going to try to bring this service back. I think that it has great potential as more and more people get laptops and mobile computing devices. Only wish I had gotten the deal :wink:. Well, I don't have ten million dollars anyway so I guess I can live with it :).

Kre
02-20-2002, 05:39 PM
...Here in AU we don't have much of that going on except GPRS and as I have said before the cost is ridiculous.

Yeah, youve got that right, at least as far as AT&T is concerned. Does anybody know if the gprs service is cost reasonable on Voice Streams network?

Sierra Wireless told me at COMDEX 2000 that customers are not interested in the CF format for Wireless WAN access...

So wrong. Sierra is making a big mistake with this mentality.

I find that once a client finds out that a CF card can go into their laptop AND PDA (if it has a CF slot of course) they are amazed and say "I want the CF version instead."...

Yes!

Wojo
02-21-2002, 06:28 AM
I recently started shopping for GPRS service in the Pheonix Metro Area. Two providers AT&T and VoiceStream. All I can say is please bring Ricochet back. Current pricing for GPRS service is as follows:

AT&T - 7.50 per meg. OUCH!
Voicestream - 2.99 for the first meg not too sure on each additional but you can purchase a 10meg block for 39.99. Not too bad.

Now both companies are claiming speeds between 53 and 57kbps. Again please bring Ricochet back at 128kbps.

I had a few conversations with Ricochet prior to them folding and they were very close to releasing a CF modem for their service.

Thanks Jason for the tip and something to look forward to.

Brad Adrian
02-21-2002, 04:45 PM
It's all going to come down to pricing strategies. Right now, the telcos are stumbling around in the dark, trying to figure our how to price their wireless services. Palm.Net obviously didn't have the right formula, and schemes that permit users to inadvertantly run up huge bills won't last long, either.

JonnoB
02-21-2002, 05:31 PM
I had a few conversations with Ricochet prior to them folding and they were very close to releasing a CF modem for their service.

This would definately be a welcome addition.