View Full Version : What I'd like to see in the next PPC OS release

CoffeeKid
02-18-2002, 11:46 AM
You know, after using PPC 2K2 for about three months now, I'm pretty much fed up with certain things.

a) popping of the speaker is getting really tired.
b) the changes to alarms is a PITA
c) mobile favourites still doesn't work the way it should
d) Microsoft "Bob" s us again with stuff like battery warnings at 50% remaining (and no way to change it), useless balloon popups, the works.
e) a full OS later, and the stupid bug about the backlight (ie, it doesn't remember what you set it at, and defaults back to medium) on the iPaq still isn't fixed.

etc. etc.

So what I'd like to see in the next full OS release is the following:

NO new features except one crucial one asked since PPC 2K: a close app button
FIX everything that is broken or doesn't work right in the current release
PUT BACK previous features that were removed.
HYPEROPTIMIZE the existing code so it is as lean and mean as fast as it can possibly be.

In other words, get over the featuritis Microsoft, and make the existing OS as close to perfectly functional as possible. And stop giving us Bob!!!

Thoughts? :D

Mark

lawnman
02-18-2002, 04:26 PM
Hear hear. I second that proposal. One thing to keep in mind . . .Compaq REALLY wants you to buy a new Ipaq and not just upgrade like you have done. I wouldn't hold our collective breaths for quick updates/patches to the upgrade ROM. Jason pointed out in an earlier thought that MS must continue to innovate and not rest on it's laurels. . .but at what cost? Feature creep is great so long as your working from a solid base. So in close I would hark "Microsoft, firm up that foundation before adding a second story !!"

Tycho Morgan
02-18-2002, 04:42 PM
We've covered this a bit already (old site, so it of course has been lost)

The general consensus was that the bugs should be fixed. In truth a fair amount of these rest in the hands of the OEM and not Microsoft, and as a result it's likely that we'll see fixes for these things long before Pocket PC 2004 or whatever they call it comes out.

Also people wanted larger feature sets, but that isn't anything you can really come to a conclusion about. Personaly I'd like a beefier version of Pocket Word, better input, and half a dozzen other things that would make the work I do a little easier.

Cheers,
Sam[/b]

Dave Conger
02-18-2002, 06:20 PM
d) Microsoft "Bob" s us again with stuff like battery warnings at 50% remaining (and no way to change it), useless balloon popups, the works.

Since the first day I had my iPAQ I have hated this. I mean, the battery isn't low yet, I can still use my device for another hour, how could the battery be low?!?! If someone could find a hack to fix this, they would be a God!

spg
02-18-2002, 11:17 PM

Since the first day I had my iPAQ I have hated this. I mean, the battery isn't low yet, I can still use my device for another hour, how could the battery be low?!?! If someone could find a hack to fix this, they would be a God!

Well, I would say they would be god, but it would be a great and i mean GREAT improvement!

Dave Conger
02-19-2002, 12:21 AM
Well, I would say they would be god, but it would be a great and i mean GREAT improvement!

Well for what I have been using my PDA for it is such a pain that I would be amazed to see it fixed.

dochall
02-24-2002, 05:54 PM
printing

JonnoB
02-25-2002, 01:09 AM
printing

here here

Darius Wey
07-20-2004, 04:38 AM
Isn't this a great one to dig up from the grave?

You know, after using PPC 2K2 for about three months now, I'm pretty much fed up with certain things.

a) popping of the speaker is getting really tired.
b) the changes to alarms is a PITA
c) mobile favourites still doesn't work the way it should
e) a full OS later, and the stupid bug about the backlight (ie, it doesn't remember what you set it at, and defaults back to medium) on the iPaq still isn't fixed.

etc. etc.

So what I'd like to see in the next full OS release is the following:

NO new features except one crucial one asked since PPC 2K: a close app button
FIX everything that is broken or doesn't work right in the current release
PUT BACK previous features that were removed.
HYPEROPTIMIZE the existing code so it is as lean and mean as fast as it can possibly be.

In other words, get over the featuritis Microsoft, and make the existing OS as close to perfectly functional as possible. And stop giving us Bob!!!

Thoughts?

While most of these issues have been fixed, a couple of years down the track and there still is no close app button. 8O

rzanology
07-20-2004, 03:43 PM
PROFIIILLLEEESSSS!!!!!!! for the love of god!!!! can i get some kinda profile on my ipaq. It works nice on phones, and i think its logical on PDAs. You should be able to set the volume, backlight, and maybe some sort of application to open with the click of the screen. THINK MICROSOFT THIIIIIIIIIINK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

KimVette
07-20-2004, 05:38 PM
Now that the iPAQ 555x is discontinued/unavailable and HP is dropping sleeve support, I'm abandoning the PocketPC platform. I'm waiting for the OQO to come out. F*bleep* HP and F*bleep* Carly Fiorina.

Robb Bates
07-20-2004, 05:54 PM
...and HP is dropping sleeve support, I'm abandoning the PocketPC platform.

This is asked in complete sincerity and ignorance, so don't flame me please:

What is so great about sleeve support? Can't you get most expandability out of SD and CF cards along with the new Bluetooth and WiFi connectivity? Sure, sleeves are just one more expansion option, but what can you get from a sleeve that doesn't have a viable alternative/substitute in one of these other formats?

Robb

KimVette
07-21-2004, 10:04 PM
* the ability to run more than one CF device concurrently
* the ability to use 5GB HDDs
* the ability to use PCMCIA devices (or PCMCIA and CF concurrently)
* practically unlimited expansion capability