View Full Version : Wireless Access Point, All By Its Lonesome

mashtim
02-17-2002, 08:28 PM
I've been using a D-Link DI-701P, which I love. However, I'm going to be moving it to my office soon. I was wondering if it is possible to use a wireless access point alone (without a router) to allow two 802.11b-enabled laptops and a WiFi-enabled iPAQ to access a cable modem. It is unneccesary for them to be networked, as I just want them to be able to use a high-speed internet connection. Thanks for the help!

mashtim
02-17-2002, 08:38 PM
Oops! It's a 713-P ! Not that it really matters, but accuracy is always important, right?

JonnoB
02-17-2002, 08:44 PM
You will need some sort of router. The access point, if it has no router functions itself acts like a network hub. You can use NetBios and other protocols like IPX over WiFi, but the PocketPC is only IP based. If one of your laptops has Win2k/XP and a wired connection to the cable modem, you can share the connection from the cable modem out over the wireless. In this instance, your laptop becomes your router.

spg
02-17-2002, 09:05 PM
You will need some sort of router. The access point, if it has no router functions itself acts like a network hub. You can use NetBios and other protocols like IPX over WiFi, but the PocketPC is only IP based. If one of your laptops has Win2k/XP and a wired connection to the cable modem, you can share the connection from the cable modem out over the wireless. In this instance, your laptop becomes your router.

This is not entirely true, it depend on how the cable modem provider has it setup. With my provider you get 5 IP adresses to use, thus hooking the AP up to it just acts as a hub onto the cable providers network. Now if you only get 1 IP with your provider the above is true.

Jason Dunn
02-18-2002, 12:29 AM
Mashtim - if you do have a D-Link 713-P, pick up the box and you'll like what you see: it's a full gateway/firewall/access point, which means it will allow all your devices to access the Internet through the cable modem, and provide a firewall for them all.

It's exactly what I have, and it rocks! I have 7+ devices on it... 8)

JonnoB
02-18-2002, 01:00 AM
This is not entirely true, it depend on how the cable modem provider has it setup. With my provider you get 5 IP adresses to use, thus hooking the AP up to it just acts as a hub onto the cable providers network. Now if you only get 1 IP with your provider the above is true.

This is because your provider is actingly like your router and likely has an accessibly DHCP server as well. Most do not implement this way because of security and other issues.

mashtim
04-12-2002, 11:14 PM
Jason, I DO love it, except for one small complaint. Ever since I started using the 713P, I haven't been able to send/recieve files or consistently use any of the voice functions on MSN, ICQ, etc. Forget using video! This has something to do with the firewall, they're telling me. However, even when I designate the device as "DMZ" (their jargon for all ports open and available), I still have the same problem.

Since I haven't found a way of getting around this, I figured on moving it to my office and setting up a wired network with a wireless access point (seperate components) for home where I'm more likely to use video & audio.

Retrocactus
04-13-2002, 02:49 AM
Check to see if there is a firmware upgrade as sometimes they release updates to address issues such as MSN and ICQ problems. It would be with the downloads section for the router/AP support page.

Hope that helps!

Steven Cedrone
04-13-2002, 05:31 PM
On the 713P, if you go into the setup (under advanced, packet filter) and disable the filters on inbound and outbound traffic, you should be able to use VOIP, Netmeeting etc....However, this will leave your network wide open.....

Steve

mashtim
04-19-2002, 01:46 AM
Thank you thank you thank you, Cedrone!! It works! I am finally able to use my voice features and talk to my friends! Thanks for your advice!

seanturner
04-19-2002, 04:09 AM
On the 713P, if you go into the setup (under advanced, packet filter) and disable the filters on inbound and outbound traffic, you should be able to use VOIP, Netmeeting etc....However, this will leave your network wide open.....

Steve

Yeah, cause your D-Link has a built in firewall to provide some security, and, in the process, it blocks those msn messenger functions. By disabling the firewall, you have lost security, but regained that functionality.

seanturner
04-19-2002, 04:11 AM
Oh, and it being a wireless access point has nothing to do with not being able to use video conferencing, it is a function of the firewall being enabled. Firewalls come in hardware and software form, and are bundled with a ton of networking products, as well as Windows XP.