View Full Version : Clear CF Sleeve Kit

Dave Conger
02-16-2002, 08:54 PM
Oooooo, just what I have always wanted, a clear expansion sleeve. I don't know why I have a think for seeing the insides of comptuers (not like you really "see them work"), but this looks rather fun. It's a clear CF expansion sleeve kit (take the hardware from yours put it in the clear one), and I think it says it is only 4980 Yen (which would be less then $40 USD...$60 to our good friends in Canada). I wonder fun they sell to people in the US, cause I wouldn't mind picking up one of these.

http://www.master-corp.co.jp/index.htm

spg
02-16-2002, 09:00 PM
It seems to be more of the form factor of a silver slider. While it doesn't add any function, I have always liked see-through phones and such. Gives it that special "Geek Cool" look. :wink:

Dave Conger
02-16-2002, 09:07 PM
It seems to be more of the form factor of a silver slider. While it doesn't add any function, I have always liked see-through phones and such. Gives it that special "Geek Cool" look. :wink:

Yes, it doesn't add any function, but nor does the silver slider....

spg
02-16-2002, 09:16 PM

Yes, it doesn't add any function, but nor does the silver slider....

Well... The silver slider allows Compact Flash expansion. But my understanding this is just a case for your existing expansion pack. Am I right there?

Dave Conger
02-17-2002, 07:51 AM
Well... The silver slider allows Compact Flash expansion. But my understanding this is just a case for your existing expansion pack. Am I right there?

The Silver Slider is just a custom case for the hardware, that is what this is. Only you do it instead of someone else. It looks like they send you an empty sleeve, and you move over your hardware into it. It is an empty CF expansion, and you build it from another sleeve.

Maybe I am still stuck in the old days, but don't you send in your CF sleeve to get a Silver Slider?

Master O'Mayhem
02-17-2002, 06:30 PM
It looks like a silver slider esq sleeve. The side rails are cut down and if you look closely, you can see the raised CF slot.

Jason Dunn
02-17-2002, 06:32 PM
Maybe I am still stuck in the old days, but don't you send in your CF sleeve to get a Silver Slider?

You can get a new one from www.pdamotion.com without needing to send in your old one.

Dave Conger
02-17-2002, 07:19 PM
You can get a new one from www.pdamotion.com without needing to send in your old one.

Thanks Jason. I was still thinking that you had to send your sleeve back in to get a sliver slider.

philfp
02-18-2002, 08:19 PM
And how long to wait until the Bluetooth CF expansion pack will appear in SilverSlider form?

Ooooh... I can't wait.... Gadget freakery is taking over...!

Dave Conger
02-18-2002, 10:15 PM
I would also be interested in a CF sleeve not in silver slider form, that includes an extra batter for the whole unit (not just for the expansion like in the PCMCIA card sleeve).

spg
02-18-2002, 11:21 PM
And how long to wait until the Bluetooth CF expansion pack will appear in SilverSlider form?

Ooooh... I can't wait.... Gadget freakery is taking over...!

Now that would be cool! 8)
I would also be interested in a CF sleeve not in silver slider form, that includes an extra batter for the whole unit (not just for the expansion like in the PCMCIA card sleeve).
Is this even possible with the current design? I'm not sure the expansion connector allows power pass-thru. It would be very nice if they can though.

Dave Conger
02-19-2002, 12:33 AM
Is this even possible with the current design? I'm not sure the expansion connector allows power pass-thru. It would be very nice if they can though.

I feel like you could definatly change the design of the sleeve a little to interface with the power jack. I didn't say it was exactly possible, just that it would be cool, useful, and I would probably buy one. (Maybe I didn't say all that, but I meant to say it.)

philfp
02-19-2002, 12:37 AM

I'm fairly sure that it is possible as that's how the battery in the current PCMCIA sleeve gets recharged

Phil

Dave Conger
02-19-2002, 03:46 AM
I'm fairly sure that it is possible as that's how the battery in the current PCMCIA sleeve gets recharged

Good point. Actually, not only does the PCMCIA battery charge when you plug in the iPAQ, but when you plug in the PCMCIA sleeve, the iPAQ charges as well.

So it does seem possible!