View Full Version : CF 802.11b cards... which is the best?

DualShock
02-15-2002, 07:34 PM
Hey everyone,

I'm thinking of getting a CF 802.11 card to use on my campus network. I feel a CF one would be ideal for me because I could use it on my iPAQ, as well as my laptop with a CF to PC Card adapter. Which one is the best? Or maybe I should ask, which has the least number of problems? :wink: I know of the Symbol one and the Socket one. Are there any others? Thanks.

spg
02-15-2002, 09:02 PM
The Symbol and Socket cards are made by the same manafactuer, just branded different. DLink also has one. My favorite is the symbol or socket cards.

~Spencer

Dave Conger
02-15-2002, 11:45 PM
Wow, one of my friends here on campus at UPS asked me a similar question yesterday. Anyone know which CF cards have the best range in "the real world." I know for PCMCIA the Lucent card is great and most other PCMCIA cards have good range, but are they any CF cards that have similar range to the PCMCIA's??

spg
02-16-2002, 12:01 AM
Wow, one of my friends here on campus at UPS asked me a similar question yesterday. Anyone know which CF cards have the best range in "the real world." I know for PCMCIA the Lucent card is great and most other PCMCIA cards have good range, but are they any CF cards that have similar range to the PCMCIA's??

My Dad uses the Symbol CF on a wireless campus here, seems to have similar range to the PCMCIA card from his laptop. It does have a little bit shorter range but it doesn't seem to matter much due to the overlaping of APs (Access Points).

JonnoB
02-16-2002, 12:17 AM
Good results for me using the Symbol card. Similar range as my PCMCIA card in notebook... actually more reliable. I only wish that the PocketPC OS supported WiFi natively like WinXP does. I can set WinXP to support multiple ESSID values and auto-discover them. This way in the office and at home, connection is automatic.

spg
02-16-2002, 12:23 AM
I only wish that the PocketPC OS supported WiFi natively like WinXP does. I can set WinXP to support multiple ESSID values and auto-discover them. This way in the office and at home, connection is automatic.

Pocket PC 2002 does support WiFi natively, it is just lacking a few of the features Win XP has. I do wish it could auto discover ESSIDs, that would make it alot easier.

JonnoB
02-16-2002, 12:28 AM
Pocket PC 2002 does support WiFi natively, it is just lacking a few of the features Win XP has. I do wish it could auto discover ESSIDs, that would make it alot easier.

It does support NIC interfaces natively and thus, the WiFi cards, but Win9x and 2k did as well. What WinXP does that is different is support auto discovery of IDs as well as include an integrated signal meter. In the case of PocketPC2002, these features are supported by the Symbol driver and not the OS... just like in pre-WinXP desktop OS. Anyway, it does work and so I am for the most part, content.... but I still want more!

spg
02-16-2002, 01:01 AM
Ahh, I see what he was getting at now. Sorry my mistake!

UG9
03-07-2002, 06:22 PM
I love my Dlink DCF-650W card. THe range is phenomenal. WIth my DLink AP in my
office on the second floor of my home, I could walk to the end of my street
(4 houses away) and I was still browsing the web...and still had 60% signal.
But because of this, it would be super-easy for someone to get onto your
network. In addition to WEP, make sure you setup your AP to only allow
specific MAC addresses.

My BF has a LinkSys PCMCIA card for his laptop and he can barely leave my
office....no range at all. He has to point the laptop at my AP to get a good signal.

thesprocket
03-18-2002, 08:21 PM
In addition to the orignal posters desire for the best, i am trying to decide which 802.11 CF card has the smallest profile outside of the PDA. you can hardly tell from many manufacturers web-based pictures, and it's not like your local store stockes these things side by side for comparison. If any one has any thoughts on this slightly modified post please let me know.

Mizar
03-19-2002, 04:40 AM
In addition to the orignal posters desire for the best, i am trying to decide which 802.11 CF card has the smallest profile outside of the PDA. you can hardly tell from many manufacturers web-based pictures, and it's not like your local store stockes these things side by side for comparison. If any one has any thoughts on this slightly modified post please let me know.

Definately the Symbol or Socket card. Not only is it a Type I CF, it sticks up only about half to 3/4" from the top of my Jornada 568.

jimH
03-20-2002, 03:07 AM
I would recommend a SMC2642W CF card. It is low profile and it worked right out of the box. It has WEP 128 and was easy to setup. The range is great.

Mizar
03-20-2002, 05:04 AM
I would recommend a SMC2642W CF card. It is low profile and it worked right out of the box. It has WEP 128 and was easy to setup. The range is great.

Looks like a good card, but it's a type II CF, according to their product datasheet. Fine for pc-card adapters (IPAQ) or CF type II slots.

lanwarrior
03-23-2002, 10:42 AM
For those who use Socket CF Card: Do you have ANY Problem with the card not being able to transmit packet but CAN connect to the AP and get IP via DHCP?

I have an iPaq 3870 that I have been using with a Cisco Aironet Wireless PC Card and it works just fine. I can also browse the net, check email, etc. via my Apple Airport / Cisco Aironet Access Point.

I bought the Socket WLAN Card because of the small size, but now all I got is headache. The software install just fine, accept my WEP key and able to get IP via DHCP, but NO PACKET CAN BE TRANSMITTED FROM and TO the iPaq with the Socket WLAN Card. This is even when the Socket card is showing GREEN on the signal and reported that it is associated with my Apple Airport Access Point.

Some test done:
1. No ping (always lost packet) via Socket Utilities
2. Pocket Internet Explorer doesn't work (No Page found)
3. Pinging from desktop to iPaq no go.

I have done software reinstall, HARD RESET, and even download socket new driver (3.30), still no go.

ALL OF THE ABOVE is fine with the Cisco Aironet 340 WLAN PC Card.
I am 1000% sure that my wireless network card works fine because I have implemented lots of WiFi network.

Check out the forum at Socket website, many people have this kind of problem too. http://www.socketforum.com/forum.asp?FORUM_ID=13

:twisted: :twisted:

phr0ze
04-05-2002, 10:22 PM
Dlink and Linksys also have CF 802.11b. I have ordered both but the dlink is the only one I have yet. Its been working great! And best of all I don't notice any additional battery drain. It fits in my Ipaq CF sleeve.

Dave Conger
04-06-2002, 12:02 AM
For those who use Socket CF Card: Do you have ANY Problem with the card not being able to transmit packet but CAN connect to the AP and get IP via DHCP?

I had problems with just getting my iPAQ to recognize that I had the Socket Wi-FI card in my PDA. It took quite a while for it to recognize it and then after i removed it, I couldn't get it to re-recognize it for some reason.

lanwarrior
04-06-2002, 07:20 AM
I found out that it has something to do with:

1. Access Point
For some reason, the Apple Airport doesn't likethe WEP. No WEP, it works fine. WEP? No go. Same issue with Cisco Aironet AP but after hard reset on the AP, works. (???) I am still puzzled.

2. Driver issue (maybe)
My iPaq hang quite a lot if I turn off the iPaq while the SOcket WLAN Card is in, and must soft reset. Other times, it just shows no connection can be made. i.e. icon shows no link.

It doesn't happend if use the cisco Aironet card or Netgear MA401, only on the Socket Card. I am hoping they'll release a new driver.

On a side note, does anyone has the Symbol card? THis is essentially the SAME as the Socket WLAN card, but different name AND different driver.

Bond
04-25-2002, 04:28 AM
I am very attached to my Symbol 802.11b CompactFlash card. In comparison to the other cards, it is VERY small, not too obtrusive or embarassing to have sticking out of the top of your PDA. I have also found that it has VERY good power management, and doesn't eat up your battery as fast as some of the other models I've tried.

How exactly does PCC2002 have native 802.11b support? I haven't seen anything, as I have had to use Symbol's drivers for everything.

Papillon
05-20-2002, 01:58 PM
Linksys WCF11
I am very happy with my Linksys card.

nasaman007
05-28-2002, 03:48 PM
Hey,

I have a linksys 802.11 card with a wireless access point at home. I have been able to synch my Ipaq 3830 wirelessly with active synch, but I can't surf the web?

What tricks or settings should I be using. When I have the ipaq in the cradel, it can use the "pass through" feature and surf the web on the ipaq, but not wirelessly.

Thanks for any help you can offer.

jw15851
05-29-2002, 02:47 PM
http://www.buffalotech.com/products/airstation/wlicfs11g.html

I have purchased this card, and am currently using it with PocketPC 2002, and it works GREAT.

Selling points:

Small form factor. Sticks out of the CF slot, only a little, and comes straight out. Not the "T" style that covers ports on the handheld. Adds virtually no size to the handheld. Whereas many of the larger ones make the handheld no longer so portable.

Excellent range (whereas the socket brand is limited)

Low Power consumption mode (when not TX-ing it pulls very little power)

Small hole on the card is designed as a security point, to affix a cable to prevent loss or theft. But, placing a metal chain there acts as an antenna further increasing range.

No more expensive than any of the other CF 802.11b cards on the market.

Supports 128bit encryption mode

I'm using this unit in a Maestro, with no difficulties. I'm using an Apple Airport Base Station as a WAP, over DHCP. I highly reccommend it. I don't work for any of the companies listed above, just a happy user.

If you get one, and wonder why it isn't working, you have to soft reboot your handheld. This I figured out while working with their very good tech support. From that point on it's been great. Also note, the documentation and web site NEVER MENTION PocketPC 2002, but the drivers ARE on the disk, and it DOES work.

-Jason W

JJ
07-10-2002, 05:04 PM
Dlink and Linksys also have CF 802.11b. I have ordered both but the dlink is the only one I have yet. Its been working great! And best of all I don't notice any additional battery drain. It fits in my Ipaq CF sleeve.

I'm thinking about buying a Linksys CF 802.11b card but worries about power consumption. Do you have the Linksys card now and how does it compare to other CF 802.11b cards you've used especially in the power consumption area?

heyday
07-11-2002, 05:51 PM
I just ordered the Linksys WCF12 for $69 from Comp-U-Plus

http://www.linksys.com/Products/product.asp?grid=22&prid=434

I'm not sure what the difference between the WCF11 and the WCF12 but I guess I will find out.

heyday

JJ
07-11-2002, 06:16 PM
I just ordered the Linksys WCF12 for $69 from Comp-U-Plus

http://www.linksys.com/Products/product.asp?grid=22&prid=434

I'm not sure what the difference between the WCF11 and the WCF12 but I guess I will find out.

heyday

Yes I've noticed that too when I was browsing around to search for a Linksys Wireless CF card. Let us know what you find out and if WCF11 is any different from WCF12 and why the big price difference between the two.

JJ
07-11-2002, 11:43 PM
I found the specs from Linksys.com web site and below is the difference between WCF11 and WCF12:

WCF11:
Form factor: CF type II
Operating Range:
Indoors - 30M (100 ft) @ up to 11 Mbps
50M (165 ft) @ up to 5.5 Mbps
70M (230 ft) @ up to 2 Mbps
91M (300 ft) @ up to 1 Mbps
Outdoor - 152M (500 ft) @ up to 11 Mbps
270M (885 ft) @ up to 5.5 Mbps
396M (1300 ft) @ up to 2 Mbps
457M (1500 ft) @ up to 1 Mbps
Dimensions: 71mm x 52mm x 10 mm
Power: 3.3V DC, 300mA

WCF12:
Form factor: CF type I
Operating Range:
Indoors - 60M (196 ft) @ up to 11 Mbps (w/ auto fall back)
Outdoor - 300M (984 ft) @ up to 11 Mbps (w/ auto fall back)Dimensions: 60.2mm x 43.2mm x 3.3mm
Power: 3.3V DC, 250mA

I guess the major difference is WCF12 has a smaller antenna, thus, smaller form factor and shorter range. Also WCF12 consumes less power than WCF11 which I see it as an advantage for using it in a PDA. Oh yeah, I almost forgot to mention the price difference between the two: WCF11 costs about $35 to $40 dollars more than WCF12.

lucia316
07-19-2002, 02:58 AM

Are you kidding me? UPS is a WiFi campus now? Amazing. That is what the tutition gets you I guess. Ahhh memories.

I am still waiting for the WiFi CF card that is housed completely within the card. Shouldn't be too far off if Toshiba can integrate and they now have BT card that has no protrusion. Anyone heard anything?

L316 8)

Dave Conger
07-19-2002, 08:08 AM
Are you kidding me? UPS is a WiFi campus now? Amazing. That is what the tutition gets you I guess. Ahhh memories.

No, UPS isn't a WiFi campus. One of my neighbors (who actually frequents this site) got a WiFi card and had a WiFi station and we just played around with it on campus. My tuition gets me....actually, I don't know what it gets me...

JonnoB
07-19-2002, 09:14 AM

Some test done:
1. No ping (always lost packet) via Socket Utilities
2. Pocket Internet Explorer doesn't work (No Page found)
3. Pinging from desktop to iPaq no go.

I could not reproduce any of those problems with my Symbol card (same manufacturer). Try getting the current drivers.

80211dude
07-19-2002, 03:08 PM
But smaller and lighter isn't always better, as we discovered by testing two 802.11b CF cards: the Linksys Instant Wireless Network CF card and the Symbol Wireless Networker.
http://www.infoworld.com/articles/fe/xml/02/03/11/020311fereview.xml

Linksys' WCF11 wireless LAN card is a nifty, easy-to-use product that PDA users will love.
http://it.asia1.com.sg/reviews/network/net001_20020403.html

D-Link 11Mbps Wireless LAN Compact Flash Adapter
http://www.80211-planet.com/reviews/CD/article/0,4000,10648_955021,00.html

At the time of this test, we did not have an iPAQ 3800 series, which is reviewed as having longer battery life than its predecessors. In our test, for devices, we used an iPAQ 3630 running PocketPC 2000, an iPAQ 3765 running PocketPC 2002, and an HP Jornada Model 568 running Pocket PC 2002. For network cards, we used the Low Power WLAN 802.11b CF1 network card from Socket, the Wireless Networker 802.11b CF1 network card from Symbol and the D-Link 802.11b CF2 network card. We also used an iPAQ expansion pak with an extra battery.
http://www.wirelessdevnet.com/features/batterylife.html

Enigma
08-06-2002, 10:00 PM
The only problem I have had with my DLink is that it won't fit in my (at least what I thought was) standard CF to PCMCIA adapter, whereas all my CF memory cards will. The DLink card is too thick.

JJ
08-06-2002, 10:05 PM
The only problem I have had with my DLink is that it won't fit in my (at least what I thought was) standard CF to PCMCIA adapter, whereas all my CF memory cards will. The DLink card is too thick.
Is it possible that you have a CF type I to PCMCIA adapter? Bare in mind that CF type II is thicker than CF type I.

Enigma
08-06-2002, 10:10 PM
Yep, didn't even think about that. As it's the only other CF item I have besides memory cards, I hadn't considered it. If I remember correctly, the adapter was only $10 or so, so I'll just have to go out and get a type II adapter for my notebook.

To jump back on topic for a sec, I've noticed about an hour and a half is all I can get out of my E-125 with the DLink. That's surfing constantly and with AIM running in the background, chatting with friends. Still, it's cool to be sitting on the deck with a cold one and be connected. 8)