View Full Version : Couple of suggestions for changes to the board

Aceze
02-15-2002, 06:08 PM
Hi there,
I'm not sure if this is the best place for it, but there doesnt seem to be a specific forum for suggestions for improvements/changes for the actual phpBB board itself.

1) When voting, if you click on a poll vote choice but you arent logged in, it will immediately ask you to log in. However, after logging in, it will not vote for you nor send you back to the voting page/thread. Any chance this can be updated to either a) automatically register the vote after logging in and send you back to the thread, or b) send you back to the thread so you can vote properly? Obviously "a)" would be ideal.

2) After replying to a post, could you set phpBB to automatically send you back to the thread (instead of asking whether you want to go back or not)? Or if people prefer, make it a preference in the profile (whether or not you want to automatically go back to the thread after posting).

Thanks!
Aceze

Jason Dunn
02-15-2002, 09:45 PM
Thanks for the feedback - phpBB is an "off the shelf" solution, so I'm not sure how much we can customize it, but I'll see what we can do.

Aceze
02-15-2002, 11:19 PM
Thanks Jason. I've seen the above two suggestions implemented at most webboards (although I'm not sure if the're phpBB since they all look very similar), so maybe you could contact some other board admins if you're not too familiar with the setup? I know that both "www.rage3d.com/board" and the brighthand board (stopped going there a while back though, so I'm not sure) behaved in this manner.

Anyway thanks for the efforts!
Aceze

speter
02-15-2002, 11:25 PM
2) After replying to a post, could you set phpBB to automatically send you back to the thread (instead of asking whether you want to go back or not)? Or if people prefer, make it a preference in the profile (whether or not you want to automatically go back to the thread after posting).

It goes back for me. You just have to wait a second on the intermediate screen.

Aceze
02-15-2002, 11:40 PM
You're right - it worked. Strangely enough, it didnt work before (really, I swear!)... but it must have been my computer or something (or I must have interrupted it somehow). Thanks for the note.

Aceze

Aceze
02-15-2002, 11:42 PM
Also...

Is it just me, or is replying with the subject line a hit and miss thing? It seems that when you post a reply, it randomly enters the subject line (sometimes is copies the thread subject and sometimes it's blank)???

Most webboards I've been on leave the subject field blank, so it's no big deal, but it's odd that this one is so random.

Aceze

Aceze
02-16-2002, 12:40 AM
More problems!!

I just lost a _very_ long post I was writing a few minutes ago due to an odd bug in phpBB.

After writing a post for about 10 minutes, hitting the submit button took me to a login screen, instead of posting the message - thereby effectively dumping my post!! I'm sure the php session data is timing out and losing my login information - could you please take a look at that?

There's nothing worse than writing a long note and losing it! :cry:

Come to think of it, almost every time I do a reply after reading some articles, it asks me to log back in! What's up with that?!

Aceze

spg
02-16-2002, 01:15 AM
I wonder if you have something wrong happening on your computer Aceze? I have not had one problem with this board. I think it is an excellent piece of software. Keep up the good work Jason & Crew!

Jason Dunn
02-16-2002, 04:00 AM
Is it just me, or is replying with the subject line a hit and miss thing? It seems that when you post a reply, it randomly enters the subject line (sometimes is copies the thread subject and sometimes it's blank)???
Most webboards I've been on leave the subject field blank, so it's no big deal, but it's odd that this one is so random.

It's ALWAYS blank for me - that's the way it's supposed to be. If you're getting something in it, you have another problem of some sort... :-)

Jason Dunn
02-16-2002, 04:02 AM
Come to think of it, almost every time I do a reply after reading some articles, it asks me to log back in! What's up with that?!

Do you have some sort of "cookie killer" active? You're the first person to mention all these things, so I have my doubts as to whether or not it's a problem with the board. :?

Aceze
02-17-2002, 06:08 AM
Well, the only thing I can think of is that my security settings in the browser might be set to high - I'm not on that computer currently (and wont be 'til Monday), so I guess it _could_ be my computer. However, no other webboard has demonstrated these problems (I post on 2-3 other webboards)... *shrug*

Aceze