View Full Version : James, James, he's our man!

Jason Dunn
02-15-2002, 08:54 AM
Congratulations to <a href="http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/profile.php?mode=viewprofile&u=82">James</a> on being the first non-admin to reach 100 posts. If you look at any of <a href="http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=1386&highlight=#1386">his posts</a> you'll see that he is now a "Pocket PC Ponderer". That's one of the fun elements with discussion boards - we can create ranks that are automatically assigned when a certain level of posting is reached.<br /><br />On some sites, this is a boring moniker like "Junior Member" and "Senior Member". &lt; yawn > I wanted to have some fun with it, so I've created ten unique posting levels, each assigned to a magical number of posting. James has posted 100 times and has thus been dubbed a "Pocket PC Ponderer". I thought with a name like Pocket PC Thoughts, the ranks should have something to do with thinking about Pocket PCs.<br /><br />Being the first one to reach this level, James has won something from my "Box-o-Goodies". I'm not sure what (it depends on his Pocket PC), but I'll try to make it something cool. :-) Over the next few weeks I'll be having a giveaway for registered users, so if you were waiting for a reason to register, you now have a few!

Mr. Anonymous
02-15-2002, 02:16 PM
Being the first one to reach this level, James has won something from my "Box-o-Goodies"TM.

Giggle...you've won your very own HTML error! Congrats James! :)

The custom titles are way cool, but I hope there's not 'star farming' here like there is on some boards (http://vnboards.ign.com/).

Daniel
02-15-2002, 02:22 PM
Good effort James.

I think I'll have to start writing some more comments so that I can be special too, oh how I wish I was special!

;)

spg
02-15-2002, 03:32 PM
Congrats James, happy posting to you :D.

~Spencer

James
02-15-2002, 03:48 PM
Wow...I go to sleep and wake up to discover I'm now infamous ;)

Thanks all!

Kemas
02-15-2002, 03:52 PM
Way to go James.

Hm, oh, that's one more post for me... :wink:

Kemas

Kemas
02-15-2002, 04:00 PM
Okay, what's really missing of late and will create a real rush to post, something contraversial. We haven't really had anything that just snapped us all and made us come back to the same post 100 times.

Come on Jason, post something that will just make the hairs on your many devoted readers' neck to stand on end. Give us chills as the room goes cold. Make our brains swell with information overload, until we just have to post to relieve the pressure and calm our little techno souls.

We need a story like, Palm to Re-take market, Apple's new PDA will crush Pocket PC In a Single Blow, PDA Use Drives Women Wild (one can wish) or PocketPCThouhts to charge $5 A Day Subscription; something! Um, as the last was my suggestion, I should get a 110% discount.

Daniel
02-15-2002, 04:12 PM
Wow...I go to sleep and wake up to discover I'm now infamous ;)

Thanks all!

No, famous. The infamous part comes when you're caught 3 years from now in some back alley drunk. The headlines will read:
1st PPCT 100 poster in alley scandal
Although, it might help if you move to Hollywood... ;)

Daniel

James
02-15-2002, 04:16 PM
hmm..controversy does always seem to be the key to unlocking ones brain. The problem is, there's little controversy in the PDA world right now: PocketPCs are about to steamroller Palm, Palm is about to steamroller themselves....anyone have any numbers on whether the XScale processor is really as good as everyone thinks it is?

Kemas
02-15-2002, 04:16 PM

With a Palm Pilot.

True Scandle.

AZMark
02-15-2002, 04:30 PM
this is just the reason I was against making this a register only board. now we get races to see who can post the most. You don't really know your stuff if you haven't posted more than me. You must not know what your talking about cuz your avatar doesn't have any animation.

If Jeff Hawkins signed up for this board with the name jeffyh, we'd probally all flame him cuz he doesn't know the industry with a modest post count like that.

James
02-15-2002, 04:30 PM

With a Palm Pilot.

True Scandle.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

How truly evil :)

spg
02-15-2002, 04:48 PM

With a Palm Pilot.

True Scandle.

Singing the new hit song called- I like to teach the world to "Palm" :lol:

~Spencer

Jason Dunn
02-15-2002, 05:01 PM
this is just the reason I was against making this a register only board. now we get races to see who can post the most.

It will become pretty obvious which users are only posting "Me Too!" messages vs. posters who are contributing real comments. :)

Jason Dunn
02-15-2002, 05:02 PM
Come on Jason, post something that will just make the hairs on your many devoted readers' neck to stand on end. Give us chills as the room

I think Andy just did that, yes? :-)

marlof
02-15-2002, 05:22 PM
this is just the reason I was against making this a register only board. now we get races to see who can post the most. You don't really know your stuff if you haven't posted more than me. You must not know what your talking about cuz your avatar doesn't have any animation.

If you read up on the contributions by James, you'll see that his posts show that he knows his stuff. Some manage to do quantity and quality at the same time. I don't think Jason would have done this if James would have only posted "Me too" messages. This is just an appreciation of someone who spends a lot of time on a new board, trying to help make that board succeed. And yes, that is much appreciated by me, and obviously by Jason too. Don't try to see bad things in good things....

If Jeff Hawkins signed up for this board with the name jeffyh, we'd probally all flame him cuz he doesn't know the industry with a modest post count like that.

I think if he signed on as Jeff Hawkins, he'd be flamed even more, and perhaps even for the same reason. ;)

Just kidding, I do understand your fear. And no, this board should not become a ratrace to post the most. But until now I did not see any indication that your fear will materialize on this board. People have open minded and polite discussions with each other, even if they're not agreeing. That used to be different at times, and personally I think the registration is to thank for the change for the better.

Jason Dunn
02-15-2002, 05:27 PM
You don't really know your stuff if you haven't posted more than me. You must not know what your talking about cuz your avatar doesn't have any animation.

For what it's worth, I for one have no intention of looking at the person's "title" and number of posts before looking at their message.

JonnoB
02-15-2002, 05:31 PM
So will this bring out the droves of junk posters so people can get to 100 quicker?

How about this thought: blah blah blah blah

'How thoughtfull'

Your welcome.

Kemas
02-15-2002, 06:24 PM
Ladies and Gents.... I think some of yee protest too much.....

Okay, this is a community. Jason and his team post news items, Press Releases, little goodies, reviews and so on. Then we all get to chime in and make comments, ridicule and other wise joke around.

That's what makes Jason's site so much fun. You get the news, views and reviews along with some poster's insight, spite and delight.

Have fun. Post something serious and if the mood is light, have a bit of fun. This thread here, is classic Pocket PC Thoughts.

For those that post, to post, to post with no intention of adding more to the Pocket PC Thoughts world short of letters from the alphabet; just ignore them. If you say anything, they will post more letters from the alphabet instead of justing going away and bugging poor souls on other disucssion boards.

AZMark
02-15-2002, 06:31 PM
It's not that I was cutting on James or anything, just take a walk over to Brighthand to see some of the 13 year old discussions that can go on. It is nice to have community but the reason I came regularly to PPCT is because it was not ruled but the IThought.

New phrase just coined by me!!

Flame Jeff Hawkins? There would be no PocketPC if not for him. He has done more to promote handheld computing than anyone else.

Kre
02-15-2002, 07:31 PM
I completely understand what AZMark is saying. Especially with Brighthand. I dont even visit or participate there anymore and havent for months.

But on a brighter note, does this hundredth post thing mean that we all get a goodie outta da goodie bag when we hit OUR hundredth post? :D :D :D

entropy1980
02-15-2002, 09:17 PM
Do i get anything for being the first registered non administrator? I think i should.... :D

heliod
02-15-2002, 09:28 PM
James has posted 100 times and has thus been dubbed a "Pocket PC Ponderer". I thought with a name like Pocket PC Thoughts, the ranks should have something to do with thinking about Pocket PCs.

So, Jason, what is the rank for someone like me, with only 3 posts (4 with this one, I am slowly making progress)? A "Pocket PC dumb"? I humbly accept the title for the time being...

heliod
02-15-2002, 09:33 PM
I was not aware of the whole discussion when I posted my joke about the "Pocket PC Dumb". No offense,guys !

Jason, for what regards me, I enjoyed the idea of the titles, and believe you should go on with it and with your other nice ideas.

One thing: maybe you should turn opposite the chronological order in which comments are displayed, so we go from the newest to the oldest. I always forget to jump to the last page (as I said, a "Pocket PC Dumb").

Jason Dunn
02-15-2002, 09:53 PM
So will this bring out the droves of junk posters so people can get to 100 quicker?

It would take a pretty big loser to think that a title mattered enough to fill this board with junk posts. Right? :roll:

Jason Dunn
02-15-2002, 09:58 PM
But on a brighter note, does this hundredth post thing mean that we all get a goodie outta da goodie bag when we hit OUR hundredth post? :D :D :D

Dream on. :lol:

Jason Dunn
02-15-2002, 10:02 PM
One thing: maybe you should turn opposite the chronological order in which comments are displayed

As far as I know, it's not an option in phpBB. Every bulletin board I've seen works this way, so I'm reluctant to do it the other way. When we did a survey on this topic months ago, there was a roughly 50/50 split on what people liked. So if I change it, I'll tick off 50% of the people. If I keep it, the other 50% are unhappy. I can't win. :roll:

The best I can offer you is to selec thte "notify me when a reply is posted" option. The URL in the email that is sent out will take you to the end of the thread on the last page.

Jason Dunn
02-15-2002, 10:03 PM
Do i get anything for being the first registered non administrator? I think i should.... :D

Hey, don't ruin ALL my surprises!!! :wink:

JonnoB
02-15-2002, 10:57 PM
It would take a pretty big loser to think that a title mattered enough to fill this board with junk posts. Right? :roll:

Yes, it sure would..
Ding - another posting point goes to JonnoB!

All kidding aside, I think the titles are fun and at least a recognition of active participation. I enjoy almost all of the postings on Thoughts whether it is the first post or the millionth.

Kre
02-16-2002, 04:55 AM

Dream on. :lol:

Playing favorites then, are we? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Hey look... my post goes up to eleven...

Jason Dunn
02-16-2002, 05:12 AM

No, I just can't afford to give every person who reaches 100 posts a prize. I'm planning another drawing however...

Daniel
02-16-2002, 04:43 PM
I'm planning another drawing however...

How about most unintellegable post? I'd be a shoe in for that one! ;)

daniel

Kre
02-17-2002, 04:13 PM

No, I just can't afford to give every person who reaches 100 posts a prize. I'm planning another drawing however...

I know, Im just giving ya a hard time :)

Kre
02-17-2002, 04:18 PM
How about most unintellegable post?...

Fleen florn, fleen florn, ga by by, ga by by, ba bloozeek guh lorbian plo plank.

:lol: There. Do I win? :lol:

spg
02-17-2002, 06:11 PM
I'm planning another drawing however...

How about most unintellegable post? I'd be a shoe in for that one! ;)

lol daniel! Just make sure all your posts happen at two in the morning :lol:!

Dave Conger
02-17-2002, 07:29 PM
Along with the Top Ten, they need to have a word count list, so we could see who is saying stuff in their posts. That would definatly be interesting to see, though I fear Jason would still be in first.... :wink:

Kre
02-17-2002, 08:08 PM
Well, if not first, Id be in close second. :D

Daniel
02-18-2002, 12:44 AM
Fleen florn, fleen florn, ga by by, ga by by, ba bloozeek guh lorbian plo plank.

:lol: There. Do I win? :lol:

Maybe it should be qualified to be most unintelligable post when trying to actually make sense? Otherwise I could certainly beat you... :D

daniel

Daniel
02-18-2002, 12:47 AM
lol daniel! Just make sure all your posts happen at two in the morning :lol:!

he he :lol:

Normally they are, although I'm at work right now and it's 11am so I've got no chance. :)

daniel

Tycho Morgan
02-20-2002, 11:28 PM
The most I've ever posted to a discussion board is the 360 some messages that I posted to Visor Central while that was still intresting. So I've never really been able to get those cool rank things. Oh well.

I have seen the entire list of ranks, and I think they are in fact cool and much more creative than the Junior Member/Senior Memeber things. However, I think it might be cool to have a "Pocket PC Rebe" in there somewhere...

Cheers,
Sam