View Full Version : (T68+iPaq+Bluetooth Headset) What are the Possibilities??

owizard
02-14-2002, 12:05 AM
Hi,

I don't know whether these possibilities have been discussed before. Have you tried this ultimate combination of devices, i.e, the T68 paired with the iPaq 3870 and a Bluetooth headset?

Theoretically speaking, you should be able to lookup the contacts on your iPaq, dial the number through Bluetooth, and use the Bluetooth headset to talk without ever touching your T68. Unfortunately, this scenario DOES NOT work.

The problem is with the T68, as it cannot communicate simultaneously with Two Bluetooth devices. I don't know whether they are going to fix this problem in the future software releases. However, I think there might be two possible solutions to this problem. I am more optimistic about the first solution.

First solution:

You can try this solution, if you have an Ericsson HBH-10 Bluetooth headset with a Bluetooth adapter. This adapter was originally meant for non-Bluetooth Ericsson phones such as T28.

You can pair the HBH-10 with the adapter and use the adapter with T68. In this way, you can pair the iPaq 3870 with the phone and have two simultaneous Bluetooth connections to the phone. I think this solution might work and allow you to make calls from iPaq without touching the phone.

Even people who own iPaqs with Bluetooth sleeves or other PDAs with Bluetooth CF cards can try this solution, if they own a HBH-10 headset.

Second solution:

This is highly unrealistic compared to the first one. Most probably it will not work. I am mentioning it just to give some food for thought.

You can try this solution, if you have a PCMCIA sleeve along with the "Troy Windport Bluetooth PC card". This is the only card that supports the "Headset profile" required for pairing it with a headset. It is available from PCNation for $114.19. This is also the best possible solution for sending VOICE COMMANDS to the iPaq.

http://www.pcnation.com/asp/details.asp?item=160516

You need to pair the PC card with the T68 and the Bluetooth headset with the card. I am not sure which profile you should use to pair the Bluetooth card with the T68. The options in the T68 Bluetooth menu are "All Types, Headset and PC".

The problem is you need to use the "headset profile" to transfer voice to iPaq. The Bluetooth Headset again uses the same profile to connect to the iPaq via Bluetooth PC card. While the Troy card allows you to connect simultaneously up to 7 devices, I don't know whether it can connect simultaneously to Two devices using the same "Headset profile". "How would the card know where to get the voice from and where to send it?"

I would like to know whether anyone has tried this amazing combination of devices. I can't try either solution, as I don't have a HBH-10 headset or a Troy Bluetooth card.

By the way, you can always use any iPaq with Bluetooth capability and a T68 with a wired headset to make calls. Calls can be initiated from the iPaq.

http://www.ppcshowcase.com/rvoice2.htm

There is one more possibility to use the iPaq with a Bluetooth Headset. You don't need a phone here. This requires a dual PCMCIA sleeve, a GSM or GSM/GPRS PCMCIA card and a Troy Windport Bluetooth PC card. You just need to pair the headset (HBH-10/15/20) with the PC card. I guess this combination might allow you to use the iPaq like "a phone with a Bluetooth headset".

Please post your thoughts. Thanks for your time. Cheers.

Master O'Mayhem
02-16-2002, 10:47 PM
Here is what I have:

Jornada 568 with Socket BT Card
IPAQ 3870
Ericsson T68
Ericsson BT HBH-20 Headset
Motorola BT Headset http://asia.cnet.com/reviews/handphones/0,39001719,20089243,00.htm
(Dont ask me where I got it) :D

Here is what i have gotten to work:

Using the T68, Jornada w/ Socket card and Motorola head set, i have all devices paired. I then pick a contact on the jornada, tap and hold to have sockets dialer exposed, pick the number i want to dial, then let the software work. At this point i can see it communicating with the T68 and passing the number to the T68. At this point the T68 has the Retrieve Call in phone? At this point i can press the power/connect button on the headset and it transfers to the headset... this is not seemless but it does work.

I have not been able to dial from 3870 because the dialer software from contacts is Sockets dialer. I tried loading the socket dialer on the 3870.. but it wont work

I would assume that you can hit the button on the headset to engage the phone (i gave my HBH-10 away, so i cannot test it. I will try the HBH-20 later

mclaughlinc
02-17-2002, 04:45 AM
Here's what I had in mind for a Bluetooth connection to my Pocket PC

http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=235

owizard
02-24-2002, 08:10 PM
Hi,

Mr. Quek, editor of ppcshowcase.com, informed that the connectivity problem could be solved by using the Mphone 2.0 from Mobem or SimpleCall from VisualIT.

http://www.ppcshowcase.com/mphonebt.htm

Now, it is possible to lookup the contacts on your iPaq, dial the number through Bluetooth, and use the Bluetooth headset to talk without ever touching your T68 mobile phone.

You can use the iPaq 3870 or any other Pocket PC device (HP 568 etc.) with a Bluetooth card. This is probably the most exciting application for the "T68+Pocket PC+ Bluetooth headset" combination. Cheers.

TMAN
02-24-2002, 11:27 PM
I have been using mPhone for about 3 days now with my T68, 3870, and BT Headset. I can say this is truly a great combination.

The only problem I have had is when I have locked the keys on the T68. mPhone does not unlock the phone so it does not dial.