View Full Version : Beware of Scansoft's PDSay program

johnm
02-12-2002, 11:48 PM
Some of you know I was one of the poor guinea pigs that purchased the PDSay program when it was first available. My experience has been less than pleasant. When this site crashed I moved my discussion pocketpcpassion.com. I thought I would summarize my story here in the hopes that it might save some of you from the frustration I have had.

I bought the program immediately after reading about it on this site. I have been looking for TTS for email in the car for a year now. When I purchased it the web site did not even have the FAQ posted yet so I must have been one of the first. I immediately found out that it didn’t work as advertised on my IPAQ. It did some speech recognition and TTS, but it would not read my email.

I tried to contact tech support but I could not find a number for the PDSay product only an email address. When I tried that address is just bounced. I dug around for a few days on the site trying everything I could. The customer support online form was just a dead link. Eventually I got a hold of someone on the phone who didn’t even recognize the product name. I told him about the email address problems and my problems with the software. He stated that he would get an answer for me and email me back that same day.

Four day later… no email. Still the email address does not work. I called again. This time another guy tells me that the product is not supported on PPC2002. They are planning an upgrade but will not give me a estimated date. It was not clear on the web site that 2002 would not work when I purchased it so I’m not happy.

I ask for my money back. I am told to call a different number for customer service. After 15 minutes of hold I state my case and am told the money would be refunded.

1 week later the charge is still on my credit card. I call again. After about 15 – 20 minutes of run-around I am informed that downloadable software is not refundable! Thank you and have a nice day.

Well it never said that the software was not refundable on the online order form – or anywhere else that I can see. So now I’m forced to contest the credit card charges with VISA and all that hassle.

The bottom line is I’m pretty disappointed. Not so much with the product (I think they will eventually make it work) but with the company’s TOTAL lack of customer service. To this day the email address listed on the PDSay page DOES NOT WORK. I mentioned that to every person I talked to at Scansoft, but still no one seems to care.

I am amazed that in today’s ‘internet’ age, companies still don’t try very hard to treat there customers right. The PocketPC market is small and well connected. If you treat one of us bad we are going to spread the word.

Jason Dunn
02-12-2002, 11:50 PM
Incredible...I can't believe they'd do that to you! Consider them blacklisted. :evil:

spg
02-16-2002, 03:53 AM
Yikes, I hate it when things like that happen. :x I'm sure not ordering from them anytime soon!

jaddison
02-16-2002, 09:02 AM
I agree that that is very unprofessional of Scansoft.

One thing to note is that PDSay was originally developed by L&H. They subsequently went bankrupt and were purchased by Scansoft. I think Scansoft is still in the process of 'moving everything over' to their control. This might explain some of the problems that their tech support are having answering your questions.

I agree that their response was definitely inappropriate. I just thought this might explain why their customer support was lacking so much. I have never delt with Scansoft before so I don't know if all their support is like this, or if it is just with the newly aquired products from L&H.

Regardless of this, you still should have been able to get a full refund.

johnm
02-16-2002, 09:37 PM
Maybe this type of service is part of the reason L&H went out of business (bankrupt) the first time? hmmm.