View Full Version : IPAQs to have Xscale by mid year

Gen-M
02-12-2002, 10:35 PM
Compaq issued a press release today that said:

"Compaq Computer Corporation CPQ today announced support for Intel's new PXA250 and PXA210 Applications Processors for Pocket PCs and committed to incorporate the new microprocessors into upcoming versions of the iPAQ Pocket PC by mid-year." :D

http://news.moneycentral.msn.com/ticker/article.asp?Symbol=US:CPQ&Feed=PR&Date=20020212&ID=1417739

entropy1980
02-13-2002, 04:25 PM
great i get to spend another 600 dollars sooner than i expected....

Jkalka
02-15-2002, 08:57 AM
OK..I am just as excited as the next guy by the prospect of a new faster chip.. But what exactly would it be good for. Since the OS, will still be PPC 2002, and that will have certain limitations, what exactly do I gain from a faster processor? Other than applications opening up faster.. Which would be nice. Perhaps PIE will run faster as well (VERY nice) But is that worth buying a new device?

Probably not. I will be curious to see what kinds of NEW things this processor allows. Can anybody make a strong argument for me to buy these new babies?

Registered
02-16-2002, 10:10 PM
I very much doubt Compaq would/could deliver an XScale IPAQ in that timeframe.

spg
02-16-2002, 10:14 PM
I very much doubt Compaq would/could deliver an XScale IPAQ in that timeframe.

I have no doubt that Compaq COULD deliver an XScale handheld in that time frame. The question is, will they? And according to this press release, the answer to that is yes! :)

Jason Dunn
02-16-2002, 10:19 PM
I will be curious to see what kinds of NEW things this processor allows. Can anybody make a strong argument for me to buy these new babies?

Battery life is a big one - the XScale has multiple settings that let it use as much or as little power as it needs. So if you're just viewing a contact, it will throttle back on power use HUGE. :-)

The screen is still the biggest battery sucker, but every little bit counts.

Janak Parekh
02-17-2002, 03:33 AM
I have no doubt that Compaq COULD deliver an XScale handheld in that time frame. The question is, will they? And according to this press release, the answer to that is yes! :)
They could, but will it actually be available? Their lead time between announcement and actual availability has been high, especially with the original 3650 and the 3870.

--bdj

Janak Parekh
02-17-2002, 03:34 AM
Battery life is a big one - the XScale has multiple settings that let it use as much or as little power as it needs. So if you're just viewing a contact, it will throttle back on power use HUGE. :-)
Jason, doesn't the StrongARM have substantial power saving as well? The battery life on the iPaq is much less when you're playing a CPU-intensive game.

I'm sure the XScale will come close to the StrongARMs' power consumption, altho I'd be curious to know if it would beat it.

--bdj

Jkalka
02-17-2002, 03:38 AM
I like the power saving idea, but having just bought a new 3850, I gotta have more motivation to buy a new device, other than it maybe opening up MS Reader faster.

spg
02-17-2002, 03:42 AM
They could, but will it actually be available? Their lead time between announcement and actual availability has been high, especially with the original 3650 and the 3870.

Quite true, but I would venture to say that it will be available at least by the end of the year, if not by the end of the third quarter or earlier.

Trade Wind
02-20-2002, 06:35 AM
Jason, doesn't the StrongARM have substantial power saving as well? The battery life on the iPaq is much less when you're playing a CPU-intensive game.

I'm sure the XScale will come close to the StrongARMs' power consumption, altho I'd be curious to know if it would beat it.

Here is the Intel PXA250 homepage: http://www.intel.com/design/pca/prodbref/298620.htm

I found a graph that beautifully displays power-performance in comparison with all their mobile processors @ http://www.intel.com/design/intelxscale/pic/chart2.gif

And hrm...found this inside the XScale press release @ Intel.com:

ftp://download.intel.com/pressroom/images/semiconductors/pxa250_bike.jpg

Wonder what device that is...perhaps the forthcoming Intel/Microsoft Smartphone 2002 ref design?