View Full Version : After upgrade button problem

ironguy
02-11-2002, 02:52 AM
After upgrading my 568 with the latest update, I noticed that the HOLD functions on my buttons shifted. The 'Today' button no longer brings up the 'Align Screen' box, this has shifted to button 2. Even after a reset and remap, the HOLD function doesn't match what happens. Could someone please send me the readings from the following registry key:
HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Shell\Keys\

I have 9 listings, 40C1,40C2,40C3,40C4,40C5,40C6,40C7,40C9,40CF
Under these are various listings including 'NAME'. However, this is missing under 40C9. I really want to compare these to someone's whose buttons are working properly, especially to see if there is supposed to be a 40C8 and 'Name' under 40C9.

Thanks.

Paragon
02-11-2002, 03:14 AM
IronGuy

My buttons are working fine and In my registry settings I have no 40C8. Under 40C9 I have "Name" and the value is Record

Dave

ironguy
02-11-2002, 05:07 PM
Paragon, are your buttons set to default? This is driving me batty trying to figure this out. I added 'Name' to 40C9 and the 'button' listing under Buttons disappeared. I hate to bother you with this, but could give me all the settings for 40C9?

Paragon
02-11-2002, 09:13 PM
Ironguy
No problem, glad to help.

40C9

NAME) Record
Icon) \windows\hotvoice.exe, 0
ResetCmd) " \Widows\startmenu\Notes.lnk"
BtnWnd) 0
WndCls)
Flags) 0
Default) "\Windows\Start Menu|Programs\utilities\Notes.lnk"

The bracket after Name, Icon ect. is not part of the string. I just put it in to make it a little easier to see.

Hope it helps

Dave

ironguy
02-11-2002, 11:06 PM
When I hard reset after my frimware install and then restores, I received an error that said there wasn't enough storage memory to run the restore. It allows you to go anyway so I did. AHA! I just finished another backup and hard reset. The buttons are back to normal. I did the restore, forcing the memory issue and the buttons are goofed up again. I hard reset again, then prior to restore, set my memory slider all the way for maximum storage and restored. VERY Interesting! The buttons are restored to normal, but most of the programs did not re-register and my User Info did not restore as well as my unit ID. Maybe I'll try it again.
Thanks for taking the time to help.

Paragon
02-11-2002, 11:15 PM
IMHO

I think I would forget the restore and just start over. You have a nice clean device, you know what you want installed and where. This way you won't have any problems and you will have a clean registry, none of the garbage left behind from trying out demos and the like.

Good luck

Dave

Oh hey wait a second. I haven't done the firmware update so I can't say for sure but are are you supposed to be able to do a restore after? It now is not the same ROM as you had when you did the backup so I can see that causing problems. Usually any kind of change in ROM causes the device to not recognize backups done previously.

ajg23
02-18-2002, 02:27 AM
any of you try audible reader? since firmware upgrade rr/ff "stick"--you have to stop them by hitting the action button...

ironguy
02-18-2002, 07:44 AM
To complete the saga...

I finally did a hard reset and reloaded evrything. Now my buttons work correctly, no more demo residue, and all is once again well with the world.