View Full Version : Bits of Gates visit

Andy Sjostrom
02-09-2002, 11:33 AM
<a href="http://www.afxpress.com/afxpress2/afx/story_34957.xml.html">http://www.afxpress.com/afxpress2/afx/story_34957.xml.html</a><br /><br />During the past week Gates visited Stockholm to release Visual Studio.NET and be awared his Honorary Doctorate of Technology from the Royal Institute of Technology (KTH).<br /><br />Swedish media, national TV, radio and papers, covered his visit extensively and the press conference was broadcasted a number of times.<br /><br />These are some bits that got stuck in my head:<br />- VS.NET took three years to complete. The longest development time in the history of the company.<br />- Nokia is a dangerous competitor. He said: "It is said that their headquarters is called Powerpoint Palace after all the slides they make."<br />- Nokia is a partner. He mentioned the SIM technologies, tablet PCs and driving traffic in 3G networks. "cooperation with Nokia has been confined to industry standards to date.". That means they are not the best of friends...<br />- Lots of talking with Ericsson. I guess that is all there ever will be with this company; talking. Bill says: "They've (Ericsson) taken the handset operation and put that into another joint venture, (Sony-Ericsson) and we're talking to those people as well." Talking.<br />- Smartphones, Pocket PCs and Tablet PCs was mentioned over and over again. He even pulled out a Pocket PC Phone Edition from his pocket during the press conference.<br /><br />I am glad to see that "mobile" is on Gates' mind. I'd be worried otherwise. Head to head with Nokia without the big boys backing up, won't lead anywhere. This year is extremely important for Microsoft; new Pocket PCs w integrated telephony and Smartphone 2002s. The software in these devices kicks competition's butt big time, but if device manufactures are reluctant to license, then Microsoft won't be able to move any devices at all. Without device manufacturers, no access to mobile operators and their networks. To be more specific; no success without Sony-Ericsson, Nokia and/or Motorola.

James
02-09-2002, 04:10 PM
move any devices at all. Without device manufacturers, no access to mobile operators and their networks. To be more specific; no success without Sony-Ericsson, Nokia and/or Motorola.

So very true..but I would hope that the big 3 there see the light and all offer smart phones. I'm tired of suffering without cool things because of techno-politics!

JohnnyFlash
02-09-2002, 04:23 PM
http://www.afxpress.com/afxpress2/afx/story_34957.xml.html

- Nokia is a dangerous competitor. He called their HQ a "Powerpoint Palace", ie they're good at making slide decks and not so good in delivering.

Andy, could you provide some reliable information source where Bill Gates called Nokia's HQ a "Powerpoint Palace"? On one side it seems to me quite possible that he COULD say it, but on the other hand if he is seeking cooperation with mobile vendors it looks unlikely. Andy, could you please provide source of RELIABLE information where you have taken expression "Powerpoint Palace"???

Or is it maybe your personal invention?

Andy Sjostrom
02-09-2002, 04:38 PM
I'll be more specific! He said: "It is said that their headquarters is called Powerpoint Palace after all the slides they make."

So, indeed he just referred to what other people are saying. Although, he didn't seem to mind. I'll update my post to reflect this translation!

This is a direct translation from Computer Sweden:

English:
"He did not have anything new to say concerning cooperation with Ericsson, inspite of having had a breakfast meeting with Ericsson's management. He regarded Nokia as a competitor, but also as a good Office-customer:
- It is said that their headquarters is called Powerpoint Palace after all the slides they make, he said."

Swedish:
"Inte heller hade han något nytt att säga om samarbete med Ericsson, trots att han haft frukostmöte med dess ledning. Nokia såg han som en konkurren, men också som en bra Officekund:
– Det sägs att deras högkvarter kallas Powerpoint Palace efter alla overheadbilder de framställer, sa han."

http://computersweden.idg.se/text/020207-cs12

JohnnyFlash
02-09-2002, 04:50 PM
I'll be more specific! He said: "It is said that their headquarters is called Powerpoint Palace after all the slides they make."

Andy, I understand that you have removed this:

they're good at making slide decks and not so good in delivering.

... because it was, after all, your biased interpretation, and not the meaning that Bill wanted to convey?

Andy Sjostrom
02-09-2002, 04:51 PM
jpzr!
I'd like to add (and repeat myself!):

I would very much like to see Nokia and Microsoft cooperate, not compete.
Nokia has a great brand, makes great phones and knows manufacturing very well.

However, Nokia's software is a joke. I am amazed that they can get away with putting "DOS-prompts" into new devices still. I guess that Bill Gates offers Nokia more than Symbian does.

It's real software vs Powerpoint slides.

Andy Sjostrom
02-09-2002, 04:56 PM
Correct.

I wrote "..., ie they're good at making slide decks and not so good in delivering.", meaning nothing else than expressing my own, subjective, opinion.

While clarifying my first "version" of the post to reflect the real translation, I removed it. I don't want anyone to misunderstand what was said.

Thanks for pointing that risk out!

JohnnyFlash
02-09-2002, 05:01 PM
It's real software vs Powerpoint slides.

Thank you for letting us know your private opinions, Andy. If you would have however more QUOTES from Bill, and more facts - feel free to publish them in this forum or on the news of PocketPCthoughts.com ! I will appreciate it very much.

The battle is far from over, it is just starting...
Let the best win!

Andy Sjostrom
02-09-2002, 05:19 PM
Thanks!

You bet that I'll continue to post more:
- more private opinions
- more quotes
- more facts
- etc

Yes, the battle has just begun! :wink:

ThomasC22
02-09-2002, 05:52 PM
No mention of Stinger? &lt;sigh> I have to say I've been more than patient waiting but it's going on what, two years? I we ever going to see Stinger as an actual product.

Bill, if your listening (or reading somewhere), don't make me buy a Treo!

Andy Sjostrom
02-09-2002, 06:29 PM
Microsoft has abandoned the code name "Stinger". It is now called Smartphone 2002. So, nope, no mentioning of "Stinger", but definately of Smartphone 2002! 8)