View Full Version : Mediaplayer won't start anymore

rmallinc
02-08-2002, 12:34 AM
After updating my Jornada 568 with the new firmware and Pocket PC 2002, the mediaplayer does'nt work anymore.
When I start the player, the title appears 'windows media' and that's it!
I've tried to install the older version from the CD without errors, but still nothing happens.
Reinstalled the 'Pocket PC 2002 update' without result.
Does anyone has the same experience and/or knows what's wrong?

Jason Dunn
02-08-2002, 01:16 AM
Perhaps you've picked a skin that isn't there any longer? That's what I was seeing when I wrote this article - same problem.

http://www.microsoft.com/mobile/pocketpc/stepbystep/playerskins.asp

marlof
02-08-2002, 03:36 AM
Posted: Wed Feb 06, 2002 5:30 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On Brighthand, the culprit was discovered: Button Mapping.

http://discussion.brighthand.com/showthread.phpthreadid=43621&pagenumber=2

---start of copy---
I believe it has something to do with the WMP's registry not recognizing the new hardware button mappings modified in the firmware upgrade. Since I don't have any problems with WMP after upgrading, anyone has the courage to try deleting the entries in HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows Media Player\Button Map\ and see if it fixes the problem? It could be that only those people who have mapped their hardware buttons in WMP have problems after the firmware upgrade...
---end of copy---

Other users report this works for them, both on Brighthand and in the newsgroup.

Sslixtis
02-08-2002, 10:58 PM
I had the same problem after the firmware upgrade. I had to do a hard reset and reinstall my 3rd party software to get it to work :( Sure wish I had known about that Brighthand trick! I would have been more than happy to try it at that point :!:

rmallinc
02-08-2002, 11:42 PM
IT WORKED. Removing the keys in the registry:HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows Media Player\Button Map\
got my WMP playing again.
I'm a happy man now!
Thanks
:D

Jason L.
02-10-2002, 05:30 PM
How to remove the keys in the registry? I am unable to locate the file HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows Media Player\Button Map\ in my ppc.

Thanks a lot!

Paragon
02-10-2002, 07:26 PM
How to remove the keys in the registry? I am unable to locate the file HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows Media Player\Button Map\ in my ppc.

Thanks a lot!

Have you mapped any buttons? I'm noy entirely sure but I don't think you will find anything if you have not mapped any buttons in WMP.

Dave

Jason L.
02-11-2002, 02:16 PM

Thanks a lot!

Have you mapped any buttons? I'm noy entirely sure but I don't think you will find anything if you have not mapped any buttons in WMP.

Dave

Yes, I have mapped WMP to the hardware buttons. Where can I find the file HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows Media Player\Button Map\??

Thanks a lot!

FredMurphy
02-13-2002, 03:41 PM
Damn !Wish I'd seen this thread before I did a full reset on mine.

Fred

Paragon
02-13-2002, 09:19 PM
Jason

You need to use a registry editor. Here is a free one http://www.phm.lu/Products/regedit.asp

Dave

Jason L.
02-14-2002, 06:03 AM
Thanks Paragon. I can have a good sleep now :D