View Full Version : Quote of the Day

Jason Dunn
02-07-2002, 07:53 PM
This quote by popealien in this <a href="http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=71&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0">ActiveSync thread</a> is so perfect I wanted everyone to read it - I think it accurately sums up my feelings on the subject perfectly...<br /><br />"Sigh...my beautiful silver shiny iPAQ hobbled by ActiveSync, like a triathlete wearing concrete shoes."<br /><br />I feel like I'm playing craps whenever I sync my HP 565 - will I roll the lucky seven and get it to sync? I find that rebooting usually gets everything to work again, but does anyone else find it sad that XPs stability is being undermined by ActiveSync?

wiredguy
02-07-2002, 08:06 PM
Actually, I find that ActiveStink works better now that I'm running XP. I used to run into troubles with WinME all the time, and a buddy used to have troubles with W2K too. I guess they can pop up anywhere.

Murphy's law... only get a sync error when I'm in a hurry :).

BadgerSoft
02-07-2002, 08:10 PM
When I switched to WinXP I did have ActiveSync problems too. Ended up being a bad USB port on my (older) work PC. Once I made sure the cradle was in the other port, I have yet to have a problem with ActiveSync in WinXP. And this is the only problem I've had with ActiveSync on my two sync PC's (Work/Personal Laptop). Maybe I'm one of the lucky ones.

Now my only problem is the PDAMotion SilverSlider periodically keeping my iPaq from sitting in the cradle. Every now and then it pulls up just enough to have a contact problem. When I use the Sync Cable, no issues whatsoever.

JoeThielen
02-07-2002, 08:10 PM
I stopped using ActiveSync some time ago. I use too many computers to trust it to one or two connections (during the E-125 era). :cry:

And to add to the problem, it doesn't support Linux. :evil:

I just stick to FTPSvr and a wireless connection. I realize this doesn't help for those syncing stuff with Outlook, but I don't use Outlook, so it's not that bad.

When I install things, I just run the install on a PC, then copy the .CAB file from the temp directory from c:\Windows\temp (usually). FTP that baby over, and it usually works fine.

Gotta love standard protocols. :lol:

Ipaqer
02-07-2002, 09:01 PM
XP ActiveSync has ... to be honest ... been way more stable/solid than Win2000

MikeB
02-07-2002, 09:02 PM
Like WiredGuy, I too had a not so good working machine under Windows ME, but the exact same hardware under XP is flawless. Before I'd frequently have to reboot before I could sync, but now everything just plain works. Go figure.

Mike B.

bblock
02-07-2002, 09:38 PM
Wow - since I got my iPAQ 3850, I haven't had any problems with Active Sync at all! I only use one computer to sync it with, which is running Win2K Pro.

What am I doing wrong?

Mike Wagstaff
02-07-2002, 09:48 PM
It might be my imagination, but ActiveSync seems to break my DSL connection under XP from time to time. What happens is that my iPAQ refuses to be recognised and, at the same time, my Internet connection mysteriously breaks. A reboot cures both.

For me, ActiveSync is very much like a PPC alarm. Not to be relied upon.

wiredguy
02-07-2002, 10:52 PM
It might be my imagination, but ActiveSync seems to break my DSL connection under XP from time to time. What happens is that my iPAQ refuses to be recognised and, at the same time, my Internet connection mysteriously breaks. A reboot cures both.

For me, ActiveSync is very much like a PPC alarm. Not to be relied upon.

Your post reminds me of "Windows CE Services" (remember the Palm-size PC days :)). I remember I couldn't have my Toshiba Laptop connected on dial-up internet at the same time I synced. AvantGo was just introduced, and I couldn't use it... no sync and download simultaneously :lol:.

mmidgley
02-07-2002, 10:58 PM
I've had relatively few problems with ActiveSync. Most my troubles were actually due to a corrupt desktop Money file messing up Money syncing. That was back on Win2k. With XP, I've connected by serial, usb, CF LAN, and PC card 802.11b and it has worked everytime. Perhaps the planets have been aligned in my computer's view...

m.

Kemas
02-07-2002, 11:22 PM
Well, I use XP on several computer, two of which I sync too. Once I get Active Sync to sync, it syncs every time. Before with 2000 it was when it felt like it. But under XP I still have to shut down AS and then sometimes disconnect the connection via the AS panel.

All-n-All a lousy ExPerience. I am sure they will fix this, AS 4.0 but we will probalby have to buy a new unit to get it.

DrtyBlvd
02-08-2002, 12:22 AM
Mine has worked absolutely fine with 98, and 2k - but since XP, it occasionally and for no apparent reason 'drops' the connection, to then pick it back up again almost instantly! On the rare occasion when it doesn't, simply popping it out and back in to the cradle seems to solve the problem.....I had wondered if it was due to my running 'Connecion Manager' (The PC on screen display of the PDA?) but have had no luck isolating the sporadic occurence....

Carlos
02-08-2002, 08:21 AM
I've had XP on my notebook for about three weeks now, and have yet to experience any problems. AS works perfectly, better than it ever has before. I've never had a connection issue, and only once did I have a "Guest" recognition issue which was solved by merely removing and replacing the device in the cradle.

My general observations with XP are that issues seem to happen on machines with low-end and/or no-name hardware, or when drivers are not properly applied. I did have a driver issue with a 4 year old cheapo video card in one machine, but putting in a decent (but still only $30) video card fixed it.

Carlos
02-08-2002, 08:23 AM
One other thought--many connection issues can be traced to a poor/faulty USB hub or noisy device. Try connecting directly to the computer, and try removing any suspicious device. Things I'd consider suspicious are any no-name, cheap products, anything old (remember we're talking in computer age), anything that has had connection issues itself, etc.

popealien
02-08-2002, 09:28 AM
Hey! I'm famous! Thanks Jason!

I see a lot of people here talking about ways to stabilize activesync, but I don't think that addresses all of the problems. Why cant I drop a PPC in the cradle after a hard reset and have EVERYTHING automatically restored to normal, like the palm? I haven't had stability problems lately (knock wood), and I'm thankful for that, but my old weak palm pilot taught me to expect more out of syncing. I think that MS would do well to focus on 'fixing' AS before the competition catches up on the hardware side (hey it could happen).

thebrix
02-08-2002, 04:23 PM
If ActiveSync is being awkward the file you can download from here reboots (ie ends cleanly, then restarts) ActiveSync without having to reboot the PC:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q266119

It's worked many times when AS3.5 + USB cable has decided to be awkward.

James
02-08-2002, 04:24 PM
ActiveSync definitely has a long way to go. Several things I'd really like to see (by no means all the things I'm looking for):
overwriting the data on the PC with the data on the PPC
changing the location of where sync'd files go (storage card vs main memory)
field level conflict resolution
speed and USB behavior improvements

yourwishismine
02-10-2002, 01:57 AM
I totally agree with having a way to change the activesync folder.. why should a user be limited to the device's memory for activesyncing data... another completely retarded idea on the part of microsoft. :)

James
02-10-2002, 02:25 AM
I totally agree with having a way to change the activesync folder.. why should a user be limited to the device's memory for activesyncing data... another completely retarded idea on the part of microsoft. :)

Or just one of those stupid Friday afternoon meeting decisions: "Okay, it's 5pm. One last item. Should we change the folder that ActiveSync can use on the device to include the storage cards? Is anyone actually going to want to do that? I don't think so...any objections? See y'all Monday"