View Full Version : AOL Pocket PC 2002 beta for Jornada users only

Jason Dunn
02-07-2002, 07:36 AM
Look what Jeremiah Owen received in his email account - it looks like AOL is returning to the Pocket PC realm with support for 2002 devices...sort of: Jornada only. It's a start!<br /><br />"Do you own a HP Jornada 565 or 568? If so, we invite you to participate in a beta test of a version of the AOL software designed specifically for these devices. This new version of the AOL software features access to AOL e-mail, Instant Messages, and your Buddy List and address book features. Additionally, this version provides support for e-mail file attachment downloads and Web browsing. We invite all Jornada 560 Series owners to try out this latest offering, available at AOL Keyword: Anywhere Beta. <br /><br />All the Best, <br />AOL Anywhere Beta Team"

tccox
02-07-2002, 05:07 PM
And rumor has it (ahem, ahem , ahem) if you try to run it on a IPAQ 3835 it installs ok just when you try to run it you get message"software not authorized to run on this device. At least I heard that's what happens......Odd though, why would it need seperate versions for different Pocket PC 2002 devices ????? Anyway I got fed up and set up a ATT worldnet account anyway. Now that works just fine...... :twisted:

Janak Parekh
02-07-2002, 06:24 PM
Why are they doing this? To artifically constrain the number of applicants so they're not overwhelmed? I can't think of another reason.

--bdj

AZMark
02-07-2002, 06:56 PM
Doesn't work with the iPaq, bummer.

Dave Conger
02-07-2002, 08:30 PM
Why are they doing this? To artifically constrain the number of applicants so they're not overwhelmed? I can't think of another reason.

--bdj

You mean constrain the number of people in the beta program? I don't think they are doing that. It usually isn't hard to be a part of anywhere beta and they tend to like as many people as possible to test a new product.

ledowning
02-08-2002, 11:38 PM
8O I have both a Jornada 568 and an AOL account. I have not been able to find the beta software anywhere, even using the keywords mentioned in the article. Just curious to find out how the software works. Can't hurt to try it out.

By the way, has anyone been able to download the software and try it???

Dave Conger
02-09-2002, 05:30 AM
Go to this Keyword:
Anywhere Beta

or use this link in AOL: aol://1722:anywherebeta

I believe you have to sign up to beta test, but the button AOL for the Jornada is on the right under "AOL for PDA's"

I downloaded it to see if I could get it to run on my iPAQ, but couldn't (of course...it is for the Jornada).

tccox
02-09-2002, 01:56 PM
"Hello:

Unfortunately, AOL for Jornada is not currently compatible with any Pocket PC 2002 devices other than the Jornada 560 series devices.

At this time, we are not aware of any plans to develop a new AOL product that is compatible with other Pocket PC 2002 devices, however, things are constantly changing around here, so please stay tuned to Keyword: Anywhere Beta, and periodically check your e-mail for possible updates.

Regards,"

Reply from AOL as to why no Compaq beta. Now I know why I signed up with ATT Worldnet last week

Dave Conger
02-09-2002, 08:13 PM
At this time, we are not aware of any plans to develop a new AOL product that is compatible with other Pocket PC 2002 devices, however, things are constantly changing around here, so please stay tuned to Keyword: Anywhere Beta, and periodically check your e-mail for possible updates.

Oh, that AOL, you gotta love them (well, I guess you don't have to...). Don't you just love how they show pictures of many mobile devices, but then only support on (as of right now of course). I have a feeling they will support the other devices...if not soly from the complains they get if they try and release a Jornada only product.