View Full Version : Firmware Update - Jornada 567 - insufficient memory error

JohnnyFlash
02-06-2002, 02:34 AM
I'm attempting to install the Firmware Update file hp_FW_CO.cab on my HP Jornada 567. I've got 15.36 MB free for storage and 15.56 MB free program.

Whenever I try to install it, it goes though the install process "Installing hp Firmware Update", resets (shows SR 0002 on a blank screen for a few seconds) then gives the error:

"There is insufficient Program Memory (8MB required)..."

I downloaded the file from HP here:

http://www.hp.com/cposupport/handheld_computers/software/hp_FW_CO.cab.html

When I reset afterwards I get BF 0208 the blank screen, which I think was what it showed before.

I've tried everything that everyone else has tried in every combination I can think of to get the Firmware Update installed.

To prepare my 567:

uninstalled programs to free up more memory
cleaned out my hp safe store folder (8.75 MB free)
moved files to my storage card to free up space
cleaned out my Startup folder of everything but hp task switcher
turned off CalliGrapher and set it not to turn on
turned off Gigbar
reset reset reset

Tried in different combinations:

installing from my storage card
installing from "My Device" from various folders
moving the memory slider both directions
set hp_FW_CO.cab to read-only
re-downloaded hp_FW_CO.cab
installing while in the cradle and still linked to my PC
installing while in the cradle and not linked to my PC
installing while connected to the AC adaptor
reset reset reset

If anyone knows the trick to getting this installed on the 567, please let me know!

Thanks!
ccoletti

BTW: I'm I correct in thinking a "soft reset" is using the reset button on the back, while a hard rest requires removing and then replace the batteries - which wipes out everything? I really don't want to do that! :?

JohnnyFlash
02-06-2002, 04:24 AM
I had this same problem. I have the 568 and had about 30K free. I did a hard reset, pulled the batteries. Waited 5 min, then started from scratch. Installed the firmware, then the update and everything went just fine. I've only had my HP for about a week so I didn't have alot to restore in it.

James

brntcrsp
02-06-2002, 04:45 AM
one thing that has proven successful to some is to do what you have done so far, but to also balance out the membery in the Start > Settings > System > Memory. basically add as much as you can to the storage side of the slider and then do your install. Also, there have been recommendations to remove everything from File Explorer > My Device > Windows > Startup. that clears everything that is loaded on startup and prevent applications from interupting the firmware update.

good luck. I ended up doing the hard reset method, but I had all my info backed up already to the desktop.

-brnt out

Rob Borek
02-06-2002, 05:37 AM
Hard reset is the only thing that worked for most people... after tinkering around with the memory settings, I just did a hard reset.

JohnnyFlash
02-06-2002, 04:43 PM
I have a Jornada 568. I solved the problem by closing the ActiveSync and unplugging the USB connection between PPC/PC.

While I did the Firmware/MS PPC2002 update successfully, I got another problem. I am unable to open the WMP. Can someone help?

marlof
02-06-2002, 05:30 PM
On Brighthand, the culprit was discovered: Button Mapping.

http://discussion.brighthand.com/showthread.phpthreadid=43621&pagenumber=2

---start of copy---
I believe it has something to do with the WMP's registry not recognizing the new hardware button mappings modified in the firmware upgrade. Since I don't have any problems with WMP after upgrading, anyone has the courage to try deleting the entries in HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows Media Player\Button Map\ and see if it fixes the problem? It could be that only those people who have mapped their hardware buttons in WMP have problems after the firmware upgrade...
---end of copy---

Other users report this works for them, both on Brighthand and in the newsgroup.

rmallinc
02-08-2002, 12:31 AM
I've had the same problem.
After trying everything, the only thing that worked was sliding the memory pointer all to the left (max. program memory).

logitex
02-12-2002, 01:56 AM
It appears that several users (including me) have tried to either incorrectly, or foolishly install the audio/button upgrade listed on the HP website.

I installed it and my 568 which worked just about flawlessly for the first month I've had it, started locking up and generally making me crazy. I am not that experienced with the Pocket PC, having made the switch from a Palm V, but I did do the "hard reset" and the problems went away. Whoever from HP authorized the inclusion of that download ought to be fired!